HavBlue - now with TVS - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: HavBlue - now with TVS
Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:44 PM
You may have mentioned this on Facebook somewhere, but I'm wondering what you did with the IAT sensor? How much room is there in that area?

"In Oldskool we trust"

Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:51 PM
I ended up buying another intake manifold. threading the IAT hole is a permanent modification, so eventually I'm going to swap manifolds.

I bought a GM 3 bar TMAP that is going to go in the stock location (need to slot the mounting hole to clear the TVS)
I'm also going to ditch the pre blower IAT and just run post blower and wire that to the PCM. I'm tired of having redundant sensors.

I also sold the racepak IQ3 dash and am working on something different. I re-installed my black cat gauges for now. I'll post up when I get the new setup in one piece.

Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:59 PM
DaFlyinSkwirl (Pj) wrote:I ended up buying another intake manifold.

I was really hoping to not hear that :/

I'm wondering if I could thread a small elbow in there and rig up the sensor that way.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Saturday, May 17, 2014 8:09 PM
Why did you ditch the iq3? Going with individual gauges?

Sunday, May 18, 2014 12:23 AM
jason norwood wrote:Why did you ditch the iq3? Going with individual gauges?

a number of things...

-I can't quickly read and mentally comprehend numbers at a quick glance.
-glare issues.
-wash-out issues with heat and cold.
-OBD2 module that is extremely weak and overly expensive (this was the BIG one)

Racepak makes a great product and has a lot of flexibility... but IMO, it's marketed more towards cars that are running stand-alone controllers or carb'd guys with EFI conversions.

the long answer?

Racepak components talk to eachother via a can-bus network they dubbed "VNET". every readout that is monitored needs to have a VNET ID. Kind of like it's assigned spot in a train. The instructions transmitted are always in the correct order.
The problem with an OBD2 interface that needs to conform to this is that every single thing the PCM reports on the OBD2 port NEEDS to have a VNET ID. Our PCM (which is pretty weak) can output at least 50-60 numbers... either translated or raw voltage.... and the Racepak IQ3 can only comprehend 32 at the max with the most up to date firmware.

Their solution? Arbitrariliy pick 12 possible PIDs to be displayed and that's it. 4 of them are relevant to us. And, when you log with HPT, you need to unplug the module anyway and you lose those 4 displays on the IQ3.

So I sold most of the racepak equipment already. I've used that to fund another gauge setup which I think is going to be far more useful and clean as hell looking.

analog gauges are much better to be read at a glance. Tach especially. I don't think I EVER looked at the digital sweep bar and instead just used the sequential shift lights to always nail my shifts.

Sunday, May 25, 2014 2:12 AM

=)

Sunday, May 25, 2014 4:24 AM
This just further necessitates a photo-shoot with your car and kyles.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, May 26, 2014 5:36 AM
^ yep, x2

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:24 PM
Starting the new gauge layout

I used diamond grit dremel accessories to cut and grind the carbon fiber. Worked really well.

Finished up. Just need to make sure it fits, install the LEDs and wire it all up.

If I end up not looking the aeroforce gauges I'm going all analog.

Friday, May 30, 2014 6:26 PM
Looks fantastic. That being said, I bet you end up going all analog.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, May 30, 2014 9:05 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:Looks fantastic. That being said, I bet you end up going all analog.

I honestly won't be surprised if this does happen. I'm kind of over the digital screen thing

Monday, June 02, 2014 8:06 AM
this makes me want to keep my engine and blower and finish the build in a new shell. missed the christening of this thread in the boost section. thought you were going turbo for awhile.

this is the start of my signature: have you read the RULES yet?
my carDomain updated 6/11/10 Forged and Supercharged

Monday, June 02, 2014 4:23 PM
s1lver_N1p (forum_Naz1) wrote:this makes me want to keep my engine and blower and finish the build in a new shell. missed the christening of this thread in the boost section. thought you were going turbo for awhile.

I got as far as bolting the manifold and turbo in place. After which I noticed that the drain position was interfering with the bolt to hold the housing onto the CHRA. Attempting to clock it did not help. I mounted the turbo inverted to help with the drain position, but then the exhaust outlet was interfering with the body and fabricating the downpipe/ wastegate dump to fit would have been impossible.

So I sold the turbo crap and went s/c instead. Then OTTP ran this GP and I jumped in on it. The M62 was on the car for about 6 months lol

Saturday, July 12, 2014 12:23 PM
got some new tires Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s

got the tune better (still not completely dialed in)
got the alcohol injection working great

hit the track. I cannot get this car off the line for @!#$, but it obviously has killer top end.

my IAT2s are terrible too, but a bag of ice on the supercharger helps a lot between runs. My very first pass (right off the street, having driven almost 2 hours from work to get there) was a 13.4.

the car has way more potential in it based on the trap speed. I'm looking at LSD and perhaps some drag radials or slicks for the track.

Saturday, July 12, 2014 10:46 PM
Nice. Im sure you're going to get in the 12's easy. Keep up the work pj. I'm watching on facebook and hear still.

Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:26 AM
Hook up a purge button for your meth. Will allow you to purge/run the meth while sitting still. and bring down the IAT's. You obviously do this is small amounts or it bogs the motor down too much, but does make a difference.

FU Tuning

Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:27 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:Hook up a purge button for your meth. Will allow you to purge/run the meth while sitting still. and bring down the IAT's. You obviously do this is small amounts or it bogs the motor down too much, but does make a difference.

I keep meaning to do this. Would be really helpful.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, July 13, 2014 6:35 PM
Y3llowCav wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:Hook up a purge button for your meth. Will allow you to purge/run the meth while sitting still. and bring down the IAT's. You obviously do this is small amounts or it bogs the motor down too much, but does make a difference.

I keep meaning to do this. Would be really helpful.

I have thought of this... actually have a cruise switch in the car that I was thinking about using as the purge button.

Monday, July 14, 2014 4:57 AM
Not a bad time for not dialed in and not getting traction. Keep up the good stuff Pj!

Friday, September 19, 2014 7:51 AM
Nice setup ! I was considering using the Harrop , but that kit didn`t become available soon enough for my budget ,so I hope to break 13 s with my m62 once I get it tuned .

BLACKMANTIS
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search