does this kit seem worth it? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
does this kit seem worth it?
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:30 PM
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/4633985606.html
I don't know if i should get it or not because I don't know anything about putting together a kit.

Re: does this kit seem worth it?
Thursday, September 25, 2014 2:41 AM
Looks like all of the big items are there and you'll just need to pick up the little odds and ends. I'd buy it if I was going to supercharge another J.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 6:57 AM
Thanks man. I think I might pick it up.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:27 AM
Supercharger was sold. He is going to let the rest of the parts go for 300. Is it still a good deal?

Thursday, September 25, 2014 7:57 AM
I was just going to edit the post, but it seems like I can't. So I am picking up the kit(minus the s/c) for 300 tomorrow and picking up a supercharger for 300 today at a salvage yard

Thursday, September 25, 2014 9:56 AM
$300 for a supercharger at a salvage yard is ridiculous. I'm sure you could get one cheaper on CobaltSS.net or a pull-a-part. My local pull-a-part only charges $75 for a supercharger.
Thursday, September 25, 2014 11:18 AM
I wish I would have seen that post earlier, oh well. I picked it up, but now that I am looking at some pictures of LSJ engines, this SC looks different. The guy said it was off an cobalt, what do you guys think?

Link to photos incase embedding doesn't work
First pic
Second
Third pic

Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:25 PM
I don't think my image hosting site is working, here are the pics

Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:36 PM
Seems to be a 2.4l twin cam blower

Thursday, September 25, 2014 12:53 PM
Yea it is. Resell it and grab a M62.

Thursday, September 25, 2014 3:52 PM
M62's are hard to find in the various yards. Ay least here in Ca. Anyway any car junked was riddened( is that a word) hard and the m62 is only worth $75.00.
I'd wait till one comes up for sale here or css.net

Friday, September 26, 2014 10:29 AM
^^^Don't necissarily agree. It's super easy to replace the bearings yourself and have a "brand new" charger for less than $125.
I did the same just with a turbo.
Friday, September 26, 2014 2:33 PM
I don't agree with what Carl said at all. A car can be in the junk yard for any number of reasons other than being beaten on, use your judgement. The price depends entirely on the condition of the blower which can be pretty easily given a once-over. There should be a mostly uniform black coating on the rotors with no gouging, the bearings can be checked by turning the rotors by hand and listening for clunking, clicking, or any other abnormal noises while also feeling for any tight spots during the rotation. If the bearings are making noise and the rotors are still in decent condition, the blower can be rebuilt relatively easily.

Friday, September 26, 2014 9:21 PM
Another option is to find a used Harrop HTV1320-LSJ. It'll be the most expensive option, but it bolts right up to the eco supercharger manifold. I ran a 3.3" pulley on mine for alittle over 2 years without any issues(relating to the blower). I love the Harrop blower and have no intentions of going back to the M62. There is alittle "fine print" with it. An aftermarket fuel pump like the Racetronix, 60# injectors, and a custom tuned are all requirements to run it.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search