Searching for that srt sound - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Searching for that srt sound
Monday, September 22, 2014 10:01 PM
Gonna be doing exhaust this winter. I've decided on the 3" system from mandrelexhaustsystem.com. I got this idea that I might try, my car will be lowerd on Coilovers. so I'm thinking to make sure the exhaust doesn't hit the axle I'm gonna cut a hole in the floor for the "hump" over the rear axle to come through the floor. The make a sheet metal tunnel to cover it. Idk if this will work. Opinions welcome. My actual question is tho. It's catless. So 2.5 dp to 3" exhaust. Do I go 1 resonator. Or just a muffler? Or 2 small res? I like how the srt4 is pretty much straight piped. I'd like that sound but I know there's allot more that plays into the sound other than the exhaust. What do you guys think?

Re: Searching for that srt sound
Monday, September 22, 2014 11:09 PM
I think that you are making it more complicated than it needs to be. My 3" exhaust clears my trailing arm just fine.

Tuesday, September 23, 2014 3:29 AM
Have you're tuner disable DFCO - that contributes to the "burble" SRT-4 sound on decel. Keep in mind you are spending gas to make that sound though.
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 5:52 AM
If it clears im not gonna waste my time cutting the hole, but I figured since its a prefab it probably isn't the best fitment. And I thought I read that if we disable dfco on our cars that it runs like crap at idle and on decel like it stalls. Idk if that's true. But do you think it would sound like crap with just a resonator? Our cars were never meant for turbo and the srt has lower conpression and turbo cams, that has to contribute to how good they sound.
Thursday, October 02, 2014 11:17 AM
Here's my car with a full 3" cat less system, cherry bomb style resonator, a d a resonator style muffler.

Roofy70 YouTube videos

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Thursday, October 02, 2014 12:43 PM
oldskool wrote:Have you're tuner disable DFCO - that contributes to the "burble" SRT-4 sound on decel. Keep in mind you are spending gas to make that sound though.

This man is correct...and the lack of rear mufflers.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Thursday, October 02, 2014 4:47 PM
Mcsa of the exhaust port has a lot to do with sound. Less than 82percent is quite and gets louder the larger the port gets.

see ya!

Thursday, October 02, 2014 5:19 PM
Sorry if I'm stupid but I have no idea what that last post meant. What's mcsa? And are you referring to the exhaust port on the turbo?
Saturday, October 04, 2014 6:25 AM
I can tell you this much, i built my 3in system and when i first put it together i had just a thrush welded on it. That @!#$ was soo loud i couldn't think and had to scream to talk to my passengers. Then i added a moroso sprail flow and now its just were i wanted it. Nice and deep and not too loud. A glass pack style resonator would defiantly quite it down more due to the packing absorbing alot of sound. I would defiantly run a res and muffler, Or run a round case muffler mid stream in exhaust. Thats just my .02 on keeping it at a bearable noise level. Hope that helped man.

I Love My J ♡
Saturday, October 04, 2014 6:54 AM
Thanks for the input! I think what I'm gonna do is try an 18" resonator alone and if that's still too loud then I'm gonna add a muffler. That way I can feel out if i like it or not.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search