Boosted 2200 Build - Page 20 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Saturday, December 20, 2014 5:50 PM
Pure sex man, looks fantastic! Did you have to modify the pedal for the manual brake swap?

"In Oldskool we trust"

Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:23 AM
YellowCav,

Thanks for the compliment. I did not connect the master to the pedal yet. I will need to use a female rod end to connect, but the pedal itself will remain factory. I did not see any issues for the connection point.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:27 AM
I ask because in the past people have drilled a new hole in the pedal for that connection in order to give them more leverage. Was curious how that actually worked out.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:04 PM
That was actually a thought I had at first. I will see how it goes together and if I end up doing that i will post some pictures.

Sunday, December 21, 2014 3:05 PM
I'm definitely interested to hear your review of it in the stock location. Sub'ed again.. lol

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, December 22, 2014 9:49 AM
How was the Wilwood fitment? The holes were designed for socket head cap screws as well.

Looks great man.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Monday, December 22, 2014 6:21 PM
MD,

The fitment for the plate was perfect, the master fit perfect also. All of the holes lined up, however the 2 holes on the back side that hold the bolts for the master were oval while the rest were round. The round holes fit a socket head just fine, but the oval ones were a little hard. I used a thin wall socket and actually grinded the sides down a small bit and it worked fine. I used all Grade 8 Hex bolts and Nylock nuts while the CAD Model you showed used Allen head bolts if I remember correctly. If I used allen head bolts, it would have been perfect.

The master itself was perfect, and cleans up the engine bay quite nicely. Once i have it connected I will let everyone know how the pedal feels.

More to come over the weekend

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 9:56 AM
Looks great Vinny. I'm glad my hood went to a good home.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:10 AM
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 5:11 AM
Shawn,

Thank you for a great transaction. Hood fits perfect and it will be taking care of. Thank you again.

Friday, December 26, 2014 6:01 AM
Vinny wrote:MD,

The fitment for the plate was perfect, the master fit perfect also. All of the holes lined up, however the 2 holes on the back side that hold the bolts for the master were oval while the rest were round. The round holes fit a socket head just fine, but the oval ones were a little hard. I used a thin wall socket and actually grinded the sides down a small bit and it worked fine. I used all Grade 8 Hex bolts and Nylock nuts while the CAD Model you showed used Allen head bolts if I remember correctly. If I used allen head bolts, it would have been perfect.

The master itself was perfect, and cleans up the engine bay quite nicely. Once i have it connected I will let everyone know how the pedal feels.

More to come over the weekend

The slotted rear holes were for button heads, and they are slotted for the Wilwood tolerance that they provided.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO

Saturday, December 27, 2014 8:47 PM
MD,

I understand now. Those were the only 2 holes that wouldn't accept the hex heads and socket but I got the hex heads to work. Everything else was a perfect fit and looks great.

Friday, January 02, 2015 7:03 PM
not sure how i missed this thread but LOVE this sedan!

Master looks great and the front bumper support is awesome!

subscribed!

Wednesday, January 07, 2015 6:50 PM
Small update time.

I was able to get the top radiator support fabricated. I was able to use factory mounting holes so the entire front clip can be removed. I also was able to get the front clip painted flat black.

I was also able to relocate the oil pump to the overflow tank location. Since I plan to to fill the radiator I will not be running the overflow. This location used the same length hoses that were on the car originally which I was happy with. I also was able to the 0.63 turbine housing and 3" downpipe fabricated. I decided to change the wastegate dump straight down as well. I dropped off the intercooler pipes, new downpipe, wastegate dump, and coolant tube at the welder to be fully welded. This weekend I will be bolting everything back up for some better pictures.

I had the coolant tube modified as I removed the heater hose outlet from the one end. I think it will look cleaner in the engine bay. While the car is apart, I also plan on having the header, turbine housing and downpipe coated by a company Swaintech Coatings upstate. I plan on going with the White Lightning instead of the turbo blanket like I ran last season. This coating is good to 3000 deg F, and I have heard nothing but good reviews on it online. This coating however is white, which will look completely different.

I have some big updates coming this weekend so stay tuned, but for now here are some new pictures.

Top Mount:

Painted:

Oil Pump:

Pipes:

Welds:

Coolant Tube:

Sunday, January 11, 2015 6:52 PM
Another small update. Since I got everything back from the welder, i did some final mock-up with everything before I send it out for coating. Since I swapped to a 3" downpipe, I decided to do something different with it. I will let the picture below show everyone. The downpipe, header and housing will be shipping out to Swaintech tomorrow. They tell me there is a 3-4 week lead time with the holidays. In the mean time, I plan to continue preparing the bay for the set-up to return so i can install it final when it arrives. I have new ARP hardware ordered for the header. I have some wiring to finish and clean up as well. More to come.

Carbon Ring:

Needs a little more adjustment, but its pretty close:

New wastegate dump:

Thursday, February 12, 2015 7:53 PM
Pretty nice custom Fab work! Just FYI, most drag strips wont let you run without an overflow. So if you ever wanted to take it to a nice track, you would have to put one in.
Monday, February 16, 2015 12:43 PM
looking good Vinny.

Thursday, February 19, 2015 7:06 PM
Small update time guys! I received the header, downpipe and housing back from Swaintech. This coating looks AMAZING. Looks very durable and the quality is perfect. They masked everything off perfect, I am very happy with this. I also got my hands on a weld in 4 point roll bar. Currently the car is gutted and the bar is being matched up.

I also received the ARP hardware for the manifold, so once everything goes back together we should be clear to start the motor and get things moving again. I have been in contact with Ryan and the second tune is in the works. Will keep everyone posted. I am looking forward to seeing what this car will do.

Bar:

Holding in place:

Coated turbo stuff!

More to come

Friday, February 20, 2015 4:14 AM

That is all

"In Oldskool we trust"
Friday, February 20, 2015 6:55 AM
I like the white.

Curious to see how it holds up once you get some heat through it. I'll be coating the turbo system stuff when I finally get there with my new car and I actually really like the white color.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Saturday, February 21, 2015 2:13 AM
Mmm roll bar in a sedan!! Car is really coming together! Great job vinny!

Sunday, February 22, 2015 2:15 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. Things should be alittle different this season.

Matt: I am curious to see how it holds up as well. I have nothing but good reviews about them. They state the coating is applied thicker than any other coating at 0.15" and can withstand temperatures up to 3000 Degrees.

Strat: Thanks! Trying to show the sedans some love as well. Bar should be an interesting install but I will have pictures with updates coming.

More to come.

Monday, February 23, 2015 9:55 AM
is that a summit bar? I wonder if coupe and sedan are the same? looking forward to the install!!

Monday, February 23, 2015 6:34 PM
This was actually an S&W roll bar. The rear bars are long enough to go to the trunk area. I was planning on going to the strut towers. The bar could have been about 2 inches wider at the base. I will most likely have to raise the mounting plate off of the floor other wise the bar is below the top of my head which is a no no.

Hopefully have more pictures this weekend as I plan to button up a few things and put things and get the turbo set-up back on the car.

Thanks for the comments.

Saturday, February 28, 2015 8:27 PM
Update Time Everyone!

The car is going back together for the last time for this season. I spent the entire day putting everything back together final. I resprayed the entire motor to give it a fresh coat of paint. I then replaced the header gasket and plugs. I was able to mount the header and i think the white looks killer with the orange. The new 12 point ARP hardware really sets it off as well. I got the entire turbo set-up, downpipe, wastegate and dump all mounted. I finished up some of the wiring back to the alternator and got that mounted as well. Turbo is plumbed for oil, wiring is ran and everything fell into place. I might fabricate an air box to work off of the scoop for direct air as well. I still have to mount the front assembly including the radiator, fans and intercooler. I was able to make a mounting bracket for the transmission cooler as well. The only small issue at the moment is the water outlet as it rubs on the downpipe. I plan to modify it to clear and the hose routing might be changed to accommodate.

I hope to have the front end of the car back together during the week. Its getting closer to spring time and hopefully the cold weather will be breaking soon. Pictures below.

New Housing / V-Band Adapter:

Engine Shots:

More to come!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search