Boosted 2200 Build - Page 21 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Boosted 2200 Build
Sunday, March 01, 2015 3:34 AM
Looks awesome man!

"In Oldskool we trust"

Sunday, March 01, 2015 9:33 AM
That waterneck is a real hinderance lol.

I fought it on my setup too. Its like gm wanted a turbo on the motor, theres plenty of room. But NOT a big one lol

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Sunday, March 01, 2015 6:00 PM
Thanks for comment Yellow Cav.

Matt,
It really a huge pain. Mine just rubs on the down-pipe so I have to modify it. I just want to make sure the coolant system will function correctly. I will see what I can come up with.

XtremE2200CaV: The Build has Begun
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3864109/2001-chevrolet-cavalier-sedan-4d
Monday, March 16, 2015 6:23 PM
Update Time!

I was able to get the intercooler, radiator fans, radiator transmission cooler and coolant tubes mounted. I was able to use the stock drivers side hose, but ended up making a custom stainless tubular for the passenger side. At first I used 2 sections of rubber hose and connected them together with tube. I was alittle worried because of how close it was to the down pipe. I was afraid with pressure it would burn through the hose and cause a problem. I ended up making a flange from stainless and bought some 1.5" tubing and routed it roughly the same way but with more space for heat from the down pipe.

I also ran into a small problem as the radiator fill was below the head. I was afraid the coolant would not get into the head and cause overheating issues. I was able to find a Moroso External remote fill neck which i will be mounting on the passenger side strut tower or in place of the stock reservoir. I will be running #12 hose to a fitting in the radiator hose for the fill.

I also bought myself a set of wider wheels. I decided to go with the RPF1 in 17x8 +35. I have a set of 245/40/17 tires coming this week as well. I think the RPF1's look awesome with the Wilwood brakes showing. I went with the Hankook RS3 tires and hope they will be sufficient for my needs.

I plan to fire the car up this weekend and make sure everything is good before starting to plan a date for the second tuning session. I know the car is alittle different from the last tuning session and i hope it shows with the horsepower and reliability.

Pictures below and more to come.

Trans Cooler mounted, needs to be painted:

Engine Bay is Packed:

First shot at Coolant Hose:

Finished Route:

Had to modify the Charge Pipe to fit the Air Filter:

Remote Fill:

RPF1:

I R EXCITED:

More to Come

Thursday, March 19, 2015 3:07 PM
Mmm rpf1.

That's my pick for a track wheel! Looking good!

Friday, March 20, 2015 2:40 AM
Plz post updates on tires I'm wanting the biggest tires on my cav that won't rub and those look like the biggest or close.
Sunday, March 22, 2015 2:58 PM
Thanks guys! I really wanted to go with the Weld RTS 17" but they do not drill them in 5x100. I did not want to run hub adapters and then spend close to 1600 on wheels before tires. I think the RPF1's look great and they do not require adapters, spacers etc.

Time for another update. This weekend I was able to mount the Moroso remote fill, complete the one radiator hose, mount the tranny cooler permanent, route the lines, wire the fans and start the car! It was so nice to hear the car fire right up and run smooth. Car is noticeable louder, and you can hear the "crackling" when coming off throttle. I kept an eye on AFR's and everything was perfect. Once i get the tires mounted, I want to drive the car and make sure everything is okay before the tune. I am hoping to not run into issues like last time. Once everything is complete and too my liking with the motor, I plan to move onto the interior and install the roll bar i showed.

Remote Fill!

Tires:

Exhaust will be more flush with bumper when permanent:

Oil Pressure!

More to Come!

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:31 PM
Update time!

Got the car back on the ground and driving. Man did i miss driving this car! Got the brake pedal connected to the Wilwood master, got the tires mounted and balanced and on the car. I have a small cooling issue that i believe is due to air in the system but i will have that figured out soon. Only taking the car around the block and such it was nice. Car sounds great with the exhaust the way it is as well and it even shoots some nice flames at free rev. I also picked up a new black carpet as the tan one was garbage. I have some fine tuning to do and she will be ready for tuning. Pictures below.

Pedal connection:

Tire to strut:

The Toys

Engine Bay, small things to finish up:

More to come!

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:32 PM
Ill leave this one here as well

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 5:56 PM
Looks amazing!!

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:03 PM
Thanks Spencer!

Tuesday, April 07, 2015 6:54 PM
Looks good. I think i like the other wheels better.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, April 08, 2015 4:32 AM
Big fan of these wheels.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:27 PM
Small Update.

I was having some issues with the cooling system. At first i thought there was some air in the system. I ended up "re-plumbing" the system and drilled a new inlet into the remote fill. I now have room for expansion when the coolant gets hot. Even now i notice that sometimes i will loose some coolant when it "overflows" as i do not have an expansion tank like factory. I may be adding on in the future.

I have been driving the car more often and its a blast. The wider tires make worlds of difference compared to the all season 215's i had. I started to take the car to a few of the local shows/meets and the people that have seen the car before, love the additions i have done. See below for pictures.

More to come!

Sunday, April 19, 2015 11:30 AM
Where in NY are you from? We should get the sedans together for a photo shoot.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 5:24 PM
Spencer,

I live on Long Island. I would definitely be in for a photo shoot wit the sedans. There are no other cavalier's that are modified and ive wanted to do a photo shoot for some time.

Let me know

Monday, April 20, 2015 3:25 AM
You have anymore pictures or anything on the Wilwood Master setup?

PRND321 Till I DIE
Monday, April 20, 2015 4:31 PM
MD: See below.

Used the same master you recommended with the GP. Only had to make an adapter to connect to stock pedal at stock location. I am running a Wilwood Proportioning valve mounted to the modified stock master bracket. Wilwood 4 piston calipers on all 4 corners. Rear set-up is a front kit with custom brackets on stock rear axle beam.

If you need any more info just let me know.

Thanks

Monday, April 20, 2015 6:31 PM
How is the pedal effort without modding the brake pedal?

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 6:57 PM
Strat81

The pedal is harder than with the vac assist but not over whelming. Car stops on a dime still and it hasn't been so bad driving around these past few times. I may try and bleed the system one more time just to make sure there is no more air in the system.

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:05 PM
Thanks for the extra pictures man. I hope to be doing this soonish.

PRND321 Till I DIE

Friday, April 24, 2015 4:10 PM
Hi guys, My name is steven and im new to J-Body org. Ive been following your build Vinny since waaaaay before I was a member, and your cavy turned out freaking sexy, love what you did to it. Im planning on doing a turbo build for my 2002 2.2L ohv (2200) sedan in the future and had a few questions on what Valves you used for the head. Thanks, looking forward to your updates.
Saturday, April 25, 2015 1:16 AM
Looks great Vince, cant wait for those power numbers.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 2:23 PM
Saturday, April 25, 2015 2:30 PM
Steven,
I went with the 1 MM stainless oversize valves for the head. I believe they were SI Valves, but i cant remember. I was going to run stock replacement valves but came across these valves for a good price I thought. Thanks for the comment and good luck with your build. There's plenty of good information on here that will be helpful.

Small Update:
Ive been driving the car when i can and I have noticed the AFR's are higher when in boost than what i was used to seeing. In boost, i am seeing AFR's around 12.5-12.7. I am guessing this is because of the upgraded turbo housing moving more air. I contacted Ryan about this as I know he will be able to adjust it come tune time. I also wanted to discuss the possibilities of going with bigger injectors as I would hate to go tune and find out my injectors are too small. I have 60LB Cobalt Stage 3 injectors currently, but i was thinking of going with 78 or 80lb just to be safe come tune.

I got the coolant overflow mounted and installed and the car runs great now. Its been a while since i could drive this car and everything should be ready for Ryan to get his hands on it. More to come.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search