How much boost are the 2.2 ohv running? - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: How much boost are the 2.2 ohv running?
Saturday, November 15, 2014 8:55 PM
Small update, got the valve cover on, but the catch can isn't mounted fully. So why does everyone block that hole in the head off? Can't you just let it vent?
Attachments
image.jpg (969k)

Built and boosted 2.2 ohv

Sunday, November 16, 2014 7:04 AM
I only did after I went to higher boost levels cause too much pressure was entering the crank case

I wanted to control it with a system I designed so I blocked that port off and added ports to the valve cover. I then drew vacuuk through the block that I added. Metered it with a valve through a check valve so that I could change the amount of vacuum going to it to get it to be as little as possible but still effective. I added a second vent to the can that I lead to the turbo inlet. Always pulling vac even in boost

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Wednesday, December 03, 2014 3:16 PM
I just don't understand why everyone blocks off the hole in the head, I understand the whole pcv system.

Attachments
image.jpg (1301k)

Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:43 AM
Finally got the rocker rollers installed!! Hopefully tuned soon!!!!

Attachments
image.jpg (1628k)

Saturday, December 20, 2014 10:49 AM
I don't know how you get pics to post in the text box, so I can only do one at a time
Attachments
image.jpg (1692k)

Saturday, December 20, 2014 11:08 AM
Quote:

I just don't understand why everyone blocks off the hole in the head, I understand the whole pcv system.

Because once you get into boost it will allow unmetered boost pressure to enter the crankcase through that hole. Blocking that off and changing the PCV system to one like you have prevents boost from pushing through that port and still allows your case to vent.

I cant wait to see some numbers from this! I sorta miss my old crane rockers.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, December 25, 2014 11:27 AM
Ok do I should probably do that be for I go tune it then

Thursday, December 25, 2014 1:11 PM
Personally I would. I went from blowing oil everywhere on 21psi (like a quart every few hundred miles) to zero consumption by blocking that and adding cents to the valve cover simar to your current setup

Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:09 PM
Ya it seems to be working really good so far, with the new rockers I had to cut the valve cover down a lot! I will plug that hole soon then! One of the rockers shoots some oil right up one of the vents. I am happy over all though! The valves are quieter and it was nice being able to adjust the valves properly!

Saturday, January 10, 2015 3:06 PM
Small update again. Car was running super rich!!! Added a half tank of e85, runs the best it has yet! Parked it in the shop today, and say I big oil leak! Ended up being that the catch can was already full!, after about 50 miles since I did the rockers. I'm going to have to take it back apart and figure out how to put some baffle back in it:/ or is there any suggestions? Taller valve cover?

Thursday, February 05, 2015 8:55 PM
What's the model on those rockets? I've got some older 1.6 comp cams that are just crazy loud, and my knock sensor actually thinks is knock, but it's just the rocker arms. I'd like to upgrade and get something that will quiet things down.

Friday, February 06, 2015 5:07 AM
I pulled vacuum from the area of the valve cover over the lifter valley (drilled and added two thread-barb fittings). The port in the middle of the valve cover is over the rockers and if you add vacuum there it'll pull lots of oil out of the baffle is gone.

I actually started using that port as my turbo scavenge return for oil.

Once I switched I was only pulling about a cup of moisture (e85 has lots of that ) and a tablespoon of oil every two weeks (~750 miles)

Friday, February 06, 2015 10:20 AM
One thing that would also be beneficial, is to have vacuum on the catch can.
For example:
Add another line to the catch can, and plumb it into the air filter pre turbo, possibly add a small pipe with a barb on it.
This will pull vacuum, instead of depending on scavenging of the crankcase.
You can see my "pre turbo" pipe on top in the trunk picture.
I have two barbs in it.
That pipe attaches to my turbo, then runs infront of my battery, then drops into my fender well.
Attachments
0828141948a.jpg (469k)
downsized_0516122129.jpg (35k)

Friday, February 06, 2015 11:03 AM
True. I had 2 vac sources on mine.

I ran a check valve on both only allowing pressure outward from the can. one to the manifold and one to the turbo inlet.

I realize I probably went overboard with it; but after pushing oil for a month like crazy I went with the system that gave me the most positive evac from the crank case under all circumstances. (once the car entered boost, the check valve on the manifold side of the can would close and by then the turbo was spooling enough to pull enough vacuum through the second catch can hose to keep the crankcase happy.) Pre turbo only is probably just fine I was just anal about it.

Friday, February 06, 2015 8:50 PM
VTL I went with the crane cams rockers 1.5 ratio. So putting vacuum to the catch can will help it from filling up?, or just suck it back thru?Cause I filled up about 2 cups in 50 miles. Keep in mind I was betting on it though! The last time I drained it, it had a ton of water in, I'm guessing because of the e85. I'm putting a new fuel level sensor in this week, so I can tell how much gas is in it! Then we will see about a tune hopefully! And I did get that hole plugged! Thanks for all the help guys!

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 7:27 PM
Got some work done! Painted the last inter cooler pipe. Got the gas gauge fixed, and a full tank of E70, stupid winter! Got a short intake made! I think I'm going to move the battery to the trunk and make another one though! I'm running out of space! I drove it again Tuesday and once again after about 50 miles the catch can was over flowing. Adding a line to the catch can from the intake will help with this, or does it just send it back through the turbo? I don't know if I want it to go back thru the turbo with how much moisture is in it! It looks like a milk shake! 😉. I'm going to try and do the line tomorrow if you guys get back to me tonight. Thanks😃
Attachments
image.jpg (1334k)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:30 AM
The difference between e70 and e85 on my setup was almost invisible. Because of cold temps the AFR was about the same on e70 in winter as e85 in summer.

Adding a positive evac line to the PCV system will help pull the pressures that push out the oil. However if you have a different problem causing the oil to get to the can, it will increase the amount of oil pulled out.

If there is no baffling in the valve cover and you are pulling from the center like that; youre right over where the oil splashes over the rockers. Back when i had an unbaffled cover and 1.6's and was still n/a I had a simple filter over the stock VC hole and it spewed oil all over the place.

I had 3 ports on my setup. 2 were toward the back of the VC close to the intake over behind the pushrods. the other was the stock hole and i had that running to a filter that just dangled down in the engine bay. (I still have the baffling in the cover, i did drill a few small holes in it though)

I can take pics of it if you would like. the cover is currently on my workbench.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:12 AM
Ya pics would be nice! I think it's just from no baffling, cause it's right over the rockers. Did you just have the valve cover extended, or how did you keep the baffling?

Sunday, March 01, 2015 9:43 AM
Im sorry i didnt follow up here

I used the stock rockers so i didnt need extra room.

I drilled a few 1/4" holes in the baffling to allow for a little more breath out of it but it still is on the cover.

I ran 1.6 rockers a long time ago and they kept coming out of adjustment and i got tired of it and went back to stock. Stock worked just fine for me. Given the power the car made with them, I would not recommend aftermarket ones to anyone who was doing a turbo setup.

I dont have pics of just the cover right now. But heres one of the engine bay as a whole. You can see the stock port i just ran through a filter and let the hose hang down. The hose that runs to the right toward the front of the bay is the oil return from the scavenge pump.

Behind that toward the back of the VC you can see one port under the FPR and one to the left. Those are the PCV ports i used. To the can, then to the vacuum block at the firewall.

I later made a new can and added a second port that went to the turbo inlet to get positive evac under boost. Check valves all over the place too.

I kinda miss this car now lol.

Thursday, March 05, 2015 9:58 AM
Ya that should work great! When are you going to put it back together? I need aftermarket rockers for now, cause my valves are different lengths(for some reason, no one at patriot heads has any idea why) so intill the head comes off again I'm going to run these! I need a taller valve cover I think

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 7:02 PM
Since I put the intake on the bov has sounded weird! Almost like its surgeing! Not quite sure why yet! Back to subject, anyone know a good tuner in Colorado?

Tuesday, March 10, 2015 10:47 PM
Also wanted to ask about throttle body's! I heard as a rumor that the old quad 4 engine has a bigger throttle body that bolts right on? Any one know if this is true?

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:39 PM
yes it is
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:48 PM
i ran 1 additional valve cover port only. blocked hole in head. used center post and ran it preturbo but w/checkvalve in betrween so it stops crank pressure. i get vacuum that way. ran front port to can. ditch that filter on cover. i never had an issue with oil yet been 2 yrs. good luck
Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:57 PM
Since that rumor is true, what vehicles have the quad 4?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search