Making your own turbo manifold. - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: Making your own turbo manifold.
Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:18 PM
seeing as i have built a manifold, have a tig, and have a pro welder at my disposal, i'll start out your diy for ya, first choose what you want, jgstool.com has kits i would recommend a mild steel flange and stainless runners, the mild steel will react better to the heat thats there and the stainless will take the weight of the turbo better, bevel all edges, nothing drastic a 45 degree angle will get it done, the exhaust flange will draw no matter what, tigs will do this they pull like crazy, they are thick enough from jgs that you can machine them true and still have alot leftover, your tigs settings depend on alot, what machine are you running, what specific model, what company makes it? miller makes some of the best stuff as far as i know, weld all your els together first, then weld all them to the exhaust flange, its alittle tricky to do this way but works out better, pull your tungsten out and turn your gas up at the regulator and long arc between the els for the inside of the exhaust flange passes little harder but great result, next figure out how nice you want it to look, totally raw good welds look great, alittle polishing and it'll be very nice, mines half polished right now, on its way to going full polish, i've got some pics i'll add to this post.

J~

Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:34 PM

there you can see the welds and where i started to polish but decided to take pics first

another veiw

another veiw

here are some up close shots

here you can see the inside but its blurry, i was attempting to show the penetration of the weld and how it was fully thru but didnt leave any obstruction to flow

Sunday, January 30, 2005 7:45 PM
niec bro, good lookin manifold <br>

- JTR
Sunday, February 20, 2005 10:33 AM
so once again.. what kinda of welding kit would be best for making manifolds??? amps?? tig, mig?? gass, no gass?? anyone... i would love to learn how to weld but i dont want to go out and buy a crapy welder and find out later that it isnt powerfull enough or the right kind.. anyone???

Memeber since 4/2002
Premium since 1/2005
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search