ecotec charger. update? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec charger. update?
Saturday, February 05, 2005 12:54 AM
im just curious if anyone has heard anything new? last i heard it was end of 2004/1st quarter 2005. when i took my car into the dealer to get my tranny worked on, he was talking about the charger and how it was supposed to be released soon. im just curious if anyone heard any new info. im guessin sometime after the supersport's come out so it doesnt hinder their sales... but its pissing me off. ill have ehough in about a month and with my taxes. this is pissing me off.... now i know how all you LD9 people went through.

Re: ecotec charger. update?
Saturday, February 05, 2005 9:04 AM
all i know is if its not out by spring, im getting the hahn turbo.
btw: does anybody have a ballpark price for this kit?

Saturday, February 05, 2005 9:08 AM
It cant be any higher than $3500... Hopefully it will be around the same as the 2.4 charger.
Saturday, February 05, 2005 9:31 AM
id look into other options, 1st quarter 2005 is half over and its a supercharger which will not have much upgradability it will have the same limits as the redline has now, turbo or the rsm blower will make more power

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 05, 2005 11:49 AM
^ u know the redline's limits allready?

Saturday, February 05, 2005 1:17 PM
Quote:

id look into other options, 1st quarter 2005 is half over and its a supercharger which will not have much upgradability it will have the same limits as the redline has now, turbo or the rsm blower will make more power

warrenty...i dont have goals of beating vipers. id be happy with a mid to low 13. and i think i could do that with the charger and a small dry shot.
Sunday, February 06, 2005 5:20 PM
John H wrote:
Quote:

warrenty...i dont have goals of beating vipers. id be happy with a mid to low 13. and i think i could do that with the charger and a small dry shot.

For some reason I doubt warranty will cover your engine with nitrous...

Monday, February 07, 2005 10:58 AM
i have the option of buying an 05 right now....fully loaded ls sport w/ a 5spd manual buttt i really want to get the gm charger, so if i buy this car im gonna get realllll pissed if it never comes out

Monday, February 07, 2005 5:10 PM
Hell, who know with GM, but nick there is plenty of sh!t out for the eco your bound to find something! I may be looking into a hahn turbo kit my self if i can come up with some cash!

Just Wait and See..........
Monday, February 07, 2005 6:30 PM
rsm s/c kits are at 15 percent off. hmmm 3200 rsm kit now wich has more potential or.... gm's kit ...$$?? who knows. I'm a loyal rsm fan and my order has been placed. I'll let you know how it turns out...the deal only lasts for another week or so.

It's just now cutting it's teeth.
Monday, February 07, 2005 6:33 PM
Good for you Aaron. I'd really like to hear from more RSM Ecotec SC kit owners, mine should be going in later this month or early MArch, keep us posted.

Grand Am Ecotec 2.2L 16V DOHC 5spd.
***Awaiting Eco-Boost from ???***

Monday, February 07, 2005 11:00 PM
Quote:

For some reason I doubt warranty will cover your engine with nitrous...

it takes less then a hour to take off a dry nitrous kit. besides it comes with an 11 or 12 pound pulley. cant the m62 handle like 15 or 16 psi? i know the m45 starts heating up at like 9. the m62 is a bigger charger, so it should be able to make a lil more psi.
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:51 PM
15 or 16psi sounds like alot of stress on your accessory drive and crank. hmmm i dunno. I remember reading that high boost from a s/c is more stressful on an engine. especially when its driving a positive displacment s/c as apposed to a centrifugal.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:57 PM
02ecogase
thats sweet your ordering your kit soon. I would call jenny if you haven't already and make sure she can get you that 15 discount in march!

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:54 PM
high rev motorsports.com has a s/c for ecotec''s stage 1 for autos or manuals stage 2 for manuals only
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:30 PM
Quote:

high rev motorsports.com has a s/c for ecotec''s stage 1 for autos or manuals stage 2 for manuals only

that is the rsm s/c, youd be better off dealing with rsm since there giving 15 % off on their kits.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:32 PM
whats there web addy
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:01 PM
www.rsmracing.com

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:07 AM
Quote:

15 or 16psi sounds like alot of stress on your accessory drive and crank. hmmm i dunno. I remember reading that high boost from a s/c is more stressful on an engine. especially when its driving a positive displacment s/c as apposed to a centrifugal

true but how much psi are upgraded gtps running? or the old thunder bird SC's. i know its not the same engine and car, but the m62 on the cobalt is factory with 11 or 12psi. gm wouldnt set it at an amount that would be too dangerous. they would give it some leway, just like they did with the m45. stock with a 4.5 psi pulley.. and it then upgrade it.
Wednesday, February 09, 2005 10:50 AM
What your saying makes sense to me. but who knows if they made mods to the ecotec crank. it is destroke... maybe reinforced too? idunno....i guess theres nothing to it but to do it? and then we can find out. IF...gm pulls thru

Wednesday, February 09, 2005 12:22 PM
yeah. im sure it will be sometime after the SS has been out for awhlie.

Friday, February 11, 2005 7:56 PM
ok.. i know the part numbers for the redline

12584331...supercharger
12584348...manifold

does the intercooler/aftercooler setup come with either of those??
Saturday, February 12, 2005 1:16 AM
is it made into the manifold??
Saturday, February 12, 2005 4:43 AM
What I mean by the limits is that the release valve opens at 12.5 psi so your boost is cut by the pcm, even if you can get by that you might reach 15 psi. Next thing the pulley everyone went crazy with teh M45 kits in the 2.4s because you can get a better pulley well the M62 is already running at 12000 rpm and its max is 14000 so a smaller pulley isnt going to get you very much at all maybe 1-2 psi tops. Next thing theres a place that modifies M90 superchargers for the GTP guys they do alot as far as upgrading the internals of the supercharger, dont really get any more boost, just increases how fast you reach max boost and velocity, again very marginal gains, of course you can get a better intake and exhaust, reflash the PCM to raise the redline up to 7000 rpm. Upgrade with some lighter pulleys. After that I really cant see much that can be done to it so from all those things you might pick up 40-50hp but theres really nothing to push you beyond that. There is the possiblity of trying to bolt a M90 on to fit but the Eaton blowers dont make very good hp per pound of boost. If I wanted to supe up a Cobalt SS Id rip off that limited factory junk and slap a turbo on it around 20psi, the engine has the built internals to handle it, only problem is keeping the PCM happy

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 12, 2005 5:18 AM
John H wrote:the m62 on the cobalt is factory with 11 or 12psi. gm wouldnt set it at an amount that would be too dangerous. they would give it some leway, just like they did with the m45. stock with a 4.5 psi pulley.. and it then upgrade it.

The SS has forged internals. Most of the people on here do not, so that much boost would NOT be safe without upgrading the internals... I know most people don't pull their engine when they install an SC.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search