ecotec charger. update? - Page 2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Re: ecotec charger. update?
Saturday, February 12, 2005 9:20 AM
yea the engine is good to who knows on the cobalt nobody really knows when it goes id estimate at least 350 HP before anything breaks assuming you keep the a/f right, the problem is the cruddy M62 will never make much above 270, which is why you need to get the rsm charger or a turbo to have the engine at its limit

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Saturday, February 12, 2005 12:51 PM
Quote:

What I mean by the limits is that the release valve opens at 12.5 psi so your boost is cut by the pcm, even if you can get by that you might reach 15 psi. Next thing the pulley everyone went crazy with teh M45 kits in the 2.4s because you can get a better pulley well the M62 is already running at 12000 rpm and its max is 14000 so a smaller pulley isnt going to get you very much at all maybe 1-2 psi tops. Next thing theres a place that modifies M90 superchargers for the GTP guys they do alot as far as upgrading the internals of the supercharger, dont really get any more boost, just increases how fast you reach max boost and velocity, again very marginal gains, of course you can get a better intake and exhaust, reflash the PCM to raise the redline up to 7000 rpm. Upgrade with some lighter pulleys. After that I really cant see much that can be done to it so from all those things you might pick up 40-50hp but theres really nothing to push you beyond that. There is the possiblity of trying to bolt a M90 on to fit but the Eaton blowers dont make very good hp per pound of boost. If I wanted to supe up a Cobalt SS Id rip off that limited factory junk and slap a turbo on it around 20psi, the engine has the built internals to handle it, only problem is keeping the PCM happy

how do u know that the reflash will raise the redline to 7000rpm? also, not everyone is planning on building a 350+ horsepower engine.. and if gm is getting 270 out of the cobalt concept.. then it can be done on a cavalier.. id be more then happy with the kind of power.

also, someone said the internals not b eing able to take 12psi.. 12psi from the m62 is alot different then 12psi from a turbo.. the supercharger wont flow as much cfm's. low pro ran the upgraded pulley and a 70 shot and his 2.4 was fine.

besides, if the ld9 boys can get like 190 at the wheels, then the eco with the m62 should make atleast 210.
Saturday, February 12, 2005 4:49 PM
I said screw it, tired of waiting for GM's unit and bought the RSM one today.

Grand Am Ecotec 2.2L 16V DOHC 5spd.
***Awaiting Eco-Boost from ???***
Saturday, February 12, 2005 10:01 PM
im using the 7000rpm 16psi figure from the concept cobalt which has a reflashed pcm which makes 270hp at teh crank, gm would never release a program that aggressive

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:04 PM
Quote:

stage 1 or 2?? how much?
Sunday, February 13, 2005 1:59 PM
John H wrote:
Quote:

stage 1 or 2?? how much?

Stage one, the prices are on their website. I also ordred some other things, so I can't remember the exact price offhand for the SC alone.

Grand Am Ecotec 2.2L 16V DOHC 5spd.
***Awaiting Eco-Boost from ???***
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search