Going boost! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Going boost!
Monday, February 07, 2005 3:55 PM
Well, today ended on a welcome note with me getting my car paid off! Whoo hooo, so now its on to better things. Its a 2001 sunfire, 2.2 automatic with 40xxx miles on it. I want to turbo it. I have very few modifications done to it, not wanting to waste money since ive always planned to turbo it. the only engine things are upper/lower mounts and a cat-back exhaust. Car is in perfect condition mechanicaly, no problems. I started looking for kits around on the internet and found a few, but they didnt seem like great deals. i found this one while searching today
http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/turbospec_cavalier.html
and it looks like a nice kit, I know almost nothing about turbos, never owning a turbo car or adding a turbo to a car. is this a complete kit as in all i would need to get it installed (not installing it myself) and running? im not looking for massive boost, it said 6-9 out the box so i would stick with that for a while till i learn more. I was looking at the t25BB extreme kit, cause it adds intercooler, ball bearing turbo, injector control unit and interface pipe, and bov. so what do u guys think of that, is it a good deal? I dont want to put together my own due to me knowing almost nothing on turbos/manis/assorted other things. please state opinions! also on anything else I would need for my car to run good with this kit. Thank you!!!!
www.cardomain.com/id/dougie2001

Re: Going boost!
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 5:16 AM
Any one
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:48 AM
[URL=www.cavalierconnection.com]www.cavalierconnection.com[/URL]
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:49 AM
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 7:58 AM
Adding the intercooler and stuff makes it almost a grand more than the IPP one. Is that a better one?
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 8:13 AM
I don't want to piss on your parade or anything because the more turboed j's the better, but you are going to want to read as much as you can before you make a purchase on an item like a turbo kit. Truthfully, you should be to the point where if need be, you could piece a kit together yourself. That way you know what you really WANT and NEED from a kit and don't get more or less than you need. I have been researching boost options for almost a year now thanks to a few crazy rides in my buddy's GSX and there is still so much I don't know. It would be a shame to ruin your engine since you just got your car paid off.( I can only dream of that day...no more car payments!!!) Also it seems like you are really determined to do a turbo setup, so it would also be terrible to finally get it boosted, and not be happy with the results. Considering my own experience, when I joined JBO I was in love with the ever-elusive GM Ecotec supercharger. I figured I could just slap that baby on and I had a race car on my hands. Now after reading for quite sometime, I don't think I would be satisfied with that S/C even if it does ever come out. Now I am about $500 shy of starting my turbo project. I wasn't ever considering a turbo when I joined.
Sorry for the book but what I'm trying to get across is that if you have waited this long to turbo, you can probably wait a little longer while you learn this sh*t inside and out. It will save you soooo much hassle down the road. Also, I'm not trying to talk down at you. I think you are in the same spot as me. You want that damn turbo so bad you can taste it but you probably aren't ready for all the baggage boost carries with it. Either way....GOOD LUCK!!!!
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 9:07 AM
No its cool i see ur point. ive wanted to turbo my car from probably the first time i raced it against something else but ya i dont know a lot about them, but i do know some.but i got a bunch of local friends who have turbo cars/turboed cars and know a good bit about them to help me with tuning. i wasnt going to install it myself, i have a shop that would do it www.balancedperformance.com and be able to do it right and dyno/tune it. but thank u for ur opinion!
Tuesday, February 08, 2005 11:08 AM
^^^Thats cool then. As long as you have some knowledgable people around to help you, you'll be alright. Good luck with everything and take lots of pics. We love turbo setup pics!!! Hopefully soon I can join the club.
Sunday, February 13, 2005 2:04 PM
well started thinking about something, been learning about turbos as much as i can before i do this, and started looking at the s/c kits. I know turbos can make a lot more power, but require more work/maintence. A s/c kit can make a little more power (not more than turbos but more than what they come with) (changing pullies etc.) but is a bit better for maintence. not saying it doesnt require some. But I searched the org for info on 2200 s/c kits and didnt find anything relevant. does anyone have the rsm kit, or any other one? ( all i could find was the rsm one, if you know another one post it) im kinda decideng right now which way to go. help?
Tuesday, February 15, 2005 8:22 AM
No s/c 2200?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search