bigger fuel injectors - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bigger fuel injectors
Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:01 PM
well i just sold the sds eic and have decided to go a diffrent route with the s-afc 2.. Im not to knowledgable about the s-afc2. so a little help would be great.. im needing much larger fuel injectors for my 2000 2.2. I maxed the sds eic out at 16 psi. and im needing to get to about 20 psi around 320whp. what injecotrs and were should i look for them.. Also should i be looking into getting a fpr?

Re: bigger fuel injectors
Saturday, February 19, 2005 5:33 PM
Only 320whp at 20psi? You are maxing out your turbo...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:04 PM
Im hopeing for around 320 or so with about 20 psi..Was that a question about maxing out my turbo or a statement.. becouse yes my t3 60 trim should be maxed out about then..
Saturday, February 19, 2005 8:28 PM
Its not a question, its a statement, and its a bad thing...

As you approach the maximum speed of the turbo (a function of the diameter of the compressor wheel and the speed of sound), you approach what is known as the surge limit. When your turbo hits the surge limit, the turbine will suddenly stop, due to it breaking the speed of sound, creating a sonic boom inside the turbo, and forcing everything to come to a sudden and complete stop.

You can imagine what something spinning at 650ish miles per hour made out of cast steel coming to a stop.... kaboom. Pieces of compressor fin will make its way through the charge piping and into your engine, causing irrepairable damage.

I would suggest buying a new turbo and cutting back the PSI to something reasonable. A decent sized T3/04 will get you 320 whp at probably 14 or 15 PSI and be nowhere near the surge limit.

Also, as a turbo increases in PSI, it gets to a point of maximum efficiency, where the turbo does very little work for the amount of air it pushes out. As the pressure increases past the turbo efficiency, the efficiency of the turbo drops dramatically. As the turbo efficiency drops, intake temperatures will rise, causing you to need to retard your timing and provide more fuel to counteract the detonation you will get with hot charge air.

Pushing so much PSI you really should consider your next upgrade to be a new turbo, along with a good set of fuel injectors, not sure if the browntops will fit the 2200 rail, but you need something.

Sunday, February 20, 2005 9:09 AM
very true.. WEll the only thing im worried about is with a bigger turbo is the lag time. what turbo would you prefer that would spool fast? after spending over 5k into the motor build i dont want to go a cheap route with anything..
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:10 PM
You are using a T3 turbine housing with a T3 60 trim compressor?

If it's not fast, juice it!!!
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:15 PM
super16g
Sunday, February 20, 2005 12:20 PM
John H wrote:super16g

Not any different than a T3 Super 60. Also not compatible with a T3 exhaust flange, I'm sure he doesn't want to be buying a new manifold just to change turbos.

T3/04E .63 AR 60 Trim should do you pretty good.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search