Can't decide on header - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Can't decide on header
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 9:58 AM
I just got the GM s/c and its getting installed next week so i want to get a header to complete my exhaust. Right now i just have the RKS magnaflow dual catback.

I like that the RKS 4-2-1 header already has the flex pipe on and looks like a really nice header. But i would rather have a 4-1 header. Ive heard good things about the Pacesetter 4-1 but if i got this one what else would i need to finish the exhaust? Flexpipe and highflow cat? And would it all bolt right up to the magnaflow catback?

Also do you think there would be much of a gain in power going from a 2 1/4" to 2.5" piping?

Thanks in advance

Re: Can't decide on header
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:05 AM
with boost you should even go with a 3" exhaust all the way AFAIK. I can't quantify it, but since boost moves a lot of air, there would be quite some gain going from 2.25 to 2.5"

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:15 AM
Thing is no one in my area does mandrel bent exhausts so i would have to order a catback online but i can't find anything bigger then 2 1/4"

I thought i had found a OBX 2.5" last year online but i cant seem to find it now.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:57 AM
Pacesetter doesnt make a 4-2-1 header for the 2.4l do they? I was looking on Summit to get a boost gauge so i looked at the pacesetter headers, it says 4-2-1 but the picture is a 4-1

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:59 AM
mandrel bent exhaust is not much better than compression bends AFAIK. Crush bends are bad though.

Wednesday, February 23, 2005 12:33 PM
My exhaust shop, PIPES doesn't recommend mandrel pipes until you're pushing around 300hp or more when there is a lot of flow. So really, I wouldn't bother especially considering the cost for mandrel.

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time and for those 15 seconds, I realize, I need boost.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:45 PM
02ecogase wrote:My exhaust shop, PIPES doesn't recommend mandrel pipes until you're pushing around 300hp or more when there is a lot of flow. So really, I wouldn't bother especially considering the cost for mandrel.

he is right... don't bother wasting money for "mandrel bends" you wont gain any thing extra from thoughs types of bends to a crush bbentor what ever else... you only have a 4cyl. engine... not a big V8.... not saying its bad.. just don't waste your money just because it says "Mandrel bent"
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 10:47 PM
I also just ordered a Gm supercharger and a rksport 4-2-1 header for my 01 sunfire.. so if you don't plan on getting it for about another 2 weeks (i will have it all on by then hopefully) i can tell you how the two work together.
Wednesday, February 23, 2005 11:27 PM
Cool then let me know how it goes. Im getting the charger on next week ill probably do the header and exhaust in a month or so after i do more research.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 12:00 AM
superchargers arent like turbo's , id stick with 2.5" for a exhaust

and also you want a 4-1 , they are less restrictive than 4-2-1 header

stans is a little better than rk's at that point only becasue it has less bends , and its straighter

rsm , likes the 4-1 headers because they are straighter , and less restrictive

Thursday, February 24, 2005 4:41 AM
i have the stans and i am happy.

Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:43 AM
i'm happy with my OBX 4-2-1 header. it uses a 2.5" b pipe which i would bolt to a 2.5" high flow cat, and get a 2.5" catback.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Thursday, February 24, 2005 2:09 PM
Yeah, I have the stan's header set-up, from the front all the way back and very happy with the performance, just trying to quiet it down a little as its a little loud but the system itself fits like a glove!
Thursday, February 24, 2005 11:21 PM
WicKeDFiRe wrote:Cool then let me know how it goes. Im getting the charger on next week ill probably do the header and exhaust in a month or so after i do more research.

Yea my charger will be on next Sunday (march 5th) and header will probably be on the following weekend.. or the one after... depends when i can get my car into the muffler shop to get the cat back put on.

Friday, February 25, 2005 4:37 AM
sc01z24 = add a resonator(small glass pack) after the cat' somewhere and u will be pleased.

Saturday, February 26, 2005 2:10 PM
with a supercharger you dont really dont want the gases to release. So the 4-2-1 header will be good, and a 2.5" exhaust will be even better.

dan

Sunday, February 27, 2005 8:37 AM
i was told that a 4-1 header would be better for a s/c application because if provides more of a top end punch and the blower will take care of the low end. just what i was told not sure if thats true or not.

Sunday, February 27, 2005 11:33 AM
Redd214 wrote:i was told that a 4-1 header would be better for a s/c application because if provides more of a top end punch and the blower will take care of the low end. just what i was told not sure if thats true or not.

Thats what ive always heard

Sunday, February 27, 2005 6:14 PM
Redd214 wrote:i was told that a 4-1 header would be better for a s/c application because if provides more of a top end punch and the blower will take care of the low end. just what i was told not sure if thats true or not.

its not about if its a 4-1 or 4-2-1... its how long the primary tubes are.. main reasons for me picking the RK sport 4-2-1 header to go with my GM S/C were because it was already ceramic coated and i wanted a 4-2-1 design because i wanted a gain in the high and low rpm's which the 4-2-1's do. With the supercharger you get hp and torque gains in the upper and lower RPM's any way so why not just get something that adds to both not just the low rpm's.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search