? About car I bought - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
? About car I bought
Thursday, February 24, 2005 5:27 PM
I recently purchased a 01 Z24 from a guy who thought he knew what he was doing. The car has the following Vortech supercharger stock plugs, duct taped throttle body coupler, magnaflow 2.5 exhaust, header, apexi safc (not hooked up) b&m short shifter, anyway my point is I need to know many things. 1. What plugs are the best for the s/c app. NGK iridiums(gap p#)? 2. What is the wiring diagram for the afc if any? 3. Where can I purchase a 90 elbow for the throttle body that will hold up against boost? 4. I do have rc 550sl8 injectors could they work on the after market fuel rail at all, im sure it wont even idle if theyll even work prob. to much for the little boost. 5. I figured on getting a cartech fmu since there isnt anything for fuel management at all. what rate should i get 12-1 or lower? And a fpr. 6. What should the base fuel pressure be.

PLEASE DONT FLAME ME!! This is a very informative site and I would like say Thanks in advance.

Re: ? About car I bought
Thursday, February 24, 2005 6:02 PM
1. rapidfire # 5 @ .035

2. search this was just discused

3.not sure on this one

4.depends on the imp of the injectors, and if you have the safc hooked up other wise car will probley get fluded the engine with fuel,and even in boost it will be to much, you will also need an adjustable fpr to help with this too

5.a Cartech FMU is adjustable so you will not be able to tell what ratio your at so you will need to get a fuel pressure gauge to tell where your at under boost at wot

6.base fuel pressure is based on how your large your injectors are, if you have 550's like you said no matter how low you bring the pressure they will still give you to much fuel thats why you will need to learn to use the safc, but i would reccomend smaller injectors, 35lb brown top ford injectors can be found for pretty cheap and work great

this is what i would do if i were you

get a adjustable fuel pressure regulator
get a cartech fmu
hook up your safc and learn to use it
get 35lb injectors
fuel pressure gauge

after you got all that great here is what you do next

set idle fuel pressure to 35psi
now take your safc reduce fuel @ 1000rpms to -25% pulse width
then @ 1500 to -10% and 2000@ -0%
do something along those lines it really depends on the car so you will have to fiddle with that a bit whatever makes your car run good at idle do that you can recheck it on a dyno later
now take your fmu turn it up all the way so you can drive safely to a dyno and finish the tuning there, other wise you will have no way of knowing how rich or lean your running if you just turn the fmu to what you think is the right place, ether that or get a wideband setup which will save you trips to the dyno if you ever choose to add mods again to your ride

if you have any other questions let me know

Friday, February 25, 2005 4:40 AM
call up RSM (www.rsmracing.com) and see if his computer is reflashed.

if not u could run the GM s/c program.

screw the FMU.

Friday, February 25, 2005 6:07 AM
Another ? is when I removed the plugs that were in the car they for one were stock, but they were also black not burnt but shinny black as if running rich little deposits? They were the stock ap605, My point is how would I know if the ecu has been flashed? Any tell tale signs? Thanks again guys for the info so far.
Friday, February 25, 2005 6:47 AM
like i tell everyone else, stay away from FMU's when adding aftermarket fuel system mods. FMUs are okay for small amounts of boost on stock fuel system. go buy an aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator. much more boost friendly.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, February 25, 2005 7:52 AM
FMU's are fine if you have something to tune them with, thats why a SAFC is a good idea with them,

Friday, February 25, 2005 6:22 PM
cant find the ecu pinouts? And again is there any way of using the 550's with the safc? Im not planning on running any boost higher than 6 or 7 psi.
Monday, February 28, 2005 10:28 PM
hey Adam hope this helps just came across it

A'PEXi AFC Install....2.3L/2.4L

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 6:31 AM
That doesnt help at all but thanks. I need the actuall ecu pinouts so I can wire this thing up. I know someone on this site has wired it up to there 01.
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 12:21 PM
here ya go hope this is what your looking for

Pinouts

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search