Not too big I hope!!! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Not too big I hope!!!
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:53 PM
I got a brand new turbo for free off a Buick Grand National from my brother. I am just curious if you guys think this it too big for my 2200. These are the specs inlet side A/R .60 M10 ". The turbine casting shows " A/R .63 M3 Tell me what you guys think. Ill remind you it is freshly rebuilt, and its free. My brother upgraded to a lager one due to his bigger cam, and huge intercooler.

Re: Not too big I hope!!!
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:19 PM
ahah well funny you ask... My dad owns a 87 GNX (rare grand national) and we original were going to put the stock turbo that came on it, into my sunfire... after taking a look we decided nope.. it would be a very tight fit and i think your turbo lag would be huge.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:37 PM
see i dont want to get into boost until i want it, so i dont mind the lag.

My bro has completely built motor, and trans now. Gnx = Sexy

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:43 PM
what i ment is i dont care if it doest spool till like 3k. I am running 7 psi only. I know its big, but some guys are running the T3/04e and thats pretty big.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 9:33 AM
it's not about the lag, the problem is that exhaust a/r is too large and you may spool it but you won't get much boost out of it by the time you hit redline.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Wednesday, March 02, 2005 11:58 AM
any one else

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:35 PM
if it's a T3 with a turbine sidde of .63 it's good. if it's a T4 then it's too big.

What's the size of the exhaust exit? where the turbine is.

Gilles
2.3 Ho

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 12:59 PM
Its a T3, I didnt think it was too big my self.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 2:34 PM
It will work but it is a bit big. Ideal hot side a/r is .48

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:17 PM
yea but its free, and brand new, so i guess i wimm make it work for my first boost setup. Hell I wont be out of CFM

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:50 PM
KEN 2.2... i would say just go for it... if it turns out its too big then so be it.. it was free... and just get a smaller one.... i kind of want to know if it would work too as this was the exact idea i had last year.. i ended up going with the GM S/C though

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 3:55 PM
I am going to do it!!! lol.

I have plenty of mods to help support it anyways. The port and polished head, will help keep up the exhuast gas speeds. Who cares if it spools at 3000 - 3500K

Like FreeBs said I can always doen size if i need to.

Wednesday, March 02, 2005 8:06 PM
Well since we are on the topic of useing Grand National turbos.. thought i would post a picture of ours...

Thursday, March 03, 2005 10:35 AM
Freebs wrote:ahah well funny you ask... My dad owns a 87 GNX (rare grand national) and we original were going to put the stock turbo that came on it, into my sunfire... after taking a look we decided nope.. it would be a very tight fit and i think your turbo lag would be huge.

Your dad is one lucky guy.... he can get SO much money for that sucker its not even funny

Thursday, March 03, 2005 11:12 AM
All we got is the crapy 85, buick T Type, with everything built.

Thursday, March 03, 2005 6:05 PM
not to big . i going to use a modified To-4 /To-4. on my 2200
Friday, March 04, 2005 12:23 AM
Karo (Car Customs) wrote:
Freebs wrote:ahah well funny you ask... My dad owns a 87 GNX (rare grand national) and we original were going to put the stock turbo that came on it, into my sunfire... after taking a look we decided nope.. it would be a very tight fit and i think your turbo lag would be huge.

Your dad is one lucky guy.... he can get SO much money for that sucker its not even funny

Well its up for sale right now... $60,000 CDN... he bought it for $45,000cdn i think and put $30,000 into it for upgrades and some guy emailed us asking about it then emailed back laughing at us saying "you will never get any thing over $30,000cdn for it" even though another guy here in town just bought a fully stock GNX with some rust on it for $47,000cdn
oh and it only has 25,000kms on it and original paint (looks mint too)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search