Variable Geometry turbo charger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Variable Geometry turbo charger
Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:09 AM
Specific title huh?

I know how a normal turbo works, But how good, and how does a VG turbo work?

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Re: Variable Geometry turbo charger
Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:13 AM
you just saw that on extreme 4x4 didnt you. i too am wondering in detail how it works.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:18 AM
lol yup, unfortunitly i wasnt too sure what he said, my dogs were barking in the back round.

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:45 AM
Project Sidewinder uses Holset® turbocharger technology. A modified HY55 variable geometry turbocharger (VGT) was used for maximum power during Bonneville speed record runs. The variable geometry of the Holset turbo allows rapid changes in boost pressure. In simple terms, the variable geometry technology helps the turbocharger to maximize and totally control the boost pressure over the widest range of engine operating speed as possible. By using an axially sliding ring nozzle that varies the velocity of the exhaust gasses entering the turbine housing, the constant alteration in the geometry of the turbo allows for the creation of a wide range of boost while controlling turbocharger shaft speed. This virtually eliminates turbo lag and improves power, fuel economy and noise levels.

A Holset HY40 turbocharger that does not have VGT is also being evaluated for possible street use on the Sidewinder, although the VGT HY55 may provide all the flexibility that is needed for both competition and street use.

Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:52 AM
Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:43 AM
so its only for deseils then?

Fact 1:

true.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:17 PM
It didn't say that it was only for diesels. I wonder if that system could be used for superchargers?

It's just now cutting it's teeth.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:37 PM
Aaron wrote:It didn't say that it was only for diesels. I wonder if that system could be used for superchargers?

I doubt it, the technology varies the speed of the exhaust gas entering the turbine, supercharges are belt driven.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 05, 2005 12:46 PM
^^^ true.

Even if you get a centrifical Superdharger, they may look like turbochargers but they are still belt driven.

Fact 1:

true.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:12 PM
In Corky Bells "Maximum Boost" he states that V V T or VGT turbo's cannot handle the heat that a gas engine developes. Where as the diesels EGT's are much lower so they can implement this style of turbo on those engines. Its excellent technology, it's just too bad that the internal veins just can't take high exhaust temp's. I know this fact from experience. I have seen the result of a diesel engine with this V V T or VGT turbo gone bad......not pretty.

T04B V-trim baby.....Time to Open a Can of Whoop A S S !!!
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:26 PM
what about project sidewinder truck, going 210mph isnt gonna keep those egt's too pretty

Sunday, March 06, 2005 9:48 AM
Lawnmowerracer wrote:so its only for deseils then?

Currently it seems to be. I haven't seen any other uses for them recently.
But, Chrysler did use them on 2.2s in the late 80's. It was refered to as a "Turbo IV" package.

As history proves from that, they very definitely did not like the heat of a gasoline engine and were very prone to failure because of it.

sig not found
Sunday, March 06, 2005 11:10 AM
maybe thats why they just did the sliding coller(sp) instead of the vains, so maybe the gale banks project one is more heat freindly?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search