Just curious - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just curious
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:46 PM
Now boost really isnt something i know alot about. I know how superchargers work, and i know how turbochargers work. I know how to install both. I know whats required to run boost as for engine componets and such.

Ive seen twin supercharged car and trucks, And ive seen twin turbocharged, and Quad turbocharged cars too.

But why cant you use both a turbo and a supercharger on the same engine?

I figure that i would be interesting to try. After all a supercharger is always on so i would be great off the line, and then have the turbo really kick in on the higher Rpm's, would be like running a shot of Nitro.

Is the reason Too high manifold pressure, or would they just not work well together?

Fact 1:

“Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely
true.

Re: Just curious
Saturday, March 05, 2005 7:47 PM
You can, its just a LOT harder to tune and setup.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, March 05, 2005 9:35 PM
It has been done. I saw an article in one of the car magazines receently (can't remember which) that had a supercharged, twin turbo V6. It basically had an equal length turbo header coming off each head with turbos under them. Then the charge pipes fed ino a side mount intercooler on each side and then joined up in the middle at the supercharger (roots.) I don't know what motor it was or what not, my friend just showed me the picture of th emotor on a stand while I was in line at Advanced. It was cool looking.

Cardomain|Myspace

Saturday, March 05, 2005 10:40 PM
basicly they have the superchager shut off just before the turbo spools up thus giving you boost at low rpms and even more at high rpms

both cant run at the same time you will through way too much air in and just blow up instantly.
Saturday, March 05, 2005 11:41 PM
eclipsed420 wrote:basicly they have the superchager shut off just before the turbo spools up thus giving you boost at low rpms and even more at high rpms

both cant run at the same time you will through way too much air in and just blow up instantly.

ok thats BS. you cant "turn off a supercharger considering its belt driven.

ALSO....theres a turbo s/c mustang running at the local track here. you can tell both are running while hes ripping off 10s. you can hear the BOV and the B-E-A-U-TIFUL whine of the charger going at the same time. plus getting to watch the video from inside you can see when the turbo kicks in at 3350RPM. you see the boost gauge go from 19PSI from the charger jump instantly to 33PSI when the turbo kicks in. i doubt that charger just shuts off.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search