what all do i need? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what all do i need?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 9:49 PM
sry if this was posted before...but if i want to do a custom turbo set up what exactly do i need? like to just run 6psi at the beginning? i would prefer not to spend over a 1k if thats possible? like maybe a small turbo or used? but besides the turbo what do i need and maybe where to find it? i know all the oil lines and stuff, is there somewhere you can buy those? thanks i appreciate it, i wasnt going to go turbo but if i can do it for relatively cheap then maybe i will....i just noticed all the kits are over 2 grand and i cant really afford that

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

UNLIMITED streaming online movies

Re: what all do i need?
Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:26 PM
turbo, exhaust manifold, wastegate(if the turbo is not internally wastegated), charge pipes, exhaust downpipe, intercooler, oil lines, blow off valve, some sort of fuel management, and more than a single afternoon if you plan on installing it yourself. everyone has their own preference on what they use for fuel adders. take a look at some other posts in this section about what you can use and what works best. most of the other things you can get on ebay for pretty cheap. and i've only heard good things about the johnnyracecar.com intercoolers. you don't need to upgrade the exhaust piping size but it is a good idea to free up some extra power..the bigger the better. also switch to fully synthetic motor oil if you havent already to deal with the extra heat produced from the newly turbo'd engine. oh yeah.....and a big oh yeah...oil cooler. it's cheap insurance for your turbo, especially if its a used one. if you shop around and not just buy the first things you see, you should be able to easily stay under a grand. have fun on the project and dont rush anything. it'll be worth it in the end.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:25 AM
Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:52 AM
thanks guys, i just dont know about the oil lines, are those something you can buy pre made or do those have to be made?

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 6:01 AM
You can buy them pre-made, kits are all over e-bay.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:02 PM
for a 2200? i havent found any, if you could find one for me i would really appreciate it thanks

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:05 PM
Just search for "Turbo oil kit"

The kits are pretty universal, as far as the lines go anyway, your local hardware and auto parts store can provide the parts that aren't universal.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:10 PM
ok yea i found some
i got your aim name and i will talk to you on there, you seem pretty knowledgable on turbo stuff

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:14 PM
I won't be home for some time yet, about 6 hours from the time of this post, so if I don't answer, I'm not ignoring you

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:16 PM
ok lol here let me show you some links that i think i might get tell me if they seem ok

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7961050202&category=33742

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7961665946&category=33742&sspagename=WDVW

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 1:21 PM
The first one is pretty much exactly the same turbo I have. For me, its too small, but for a 2200 running 5-8psi, its a great pic, fast spooling turbo.

The second one is exactly the oil kit that I have as well, other than my return hose isn't blue. I haven't really looked to see if the included fittings are correct because its just too freaking cold to go outside and rip my car apart The only thing I know I'm going to change is I'm going to get a 45 degree elbow for the pan, makes things a lot easier. I'm hoping the T threads right in.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:22 PM
ok thats pretty sweet, im just looking for around 6-7 psi, i could always upgrade later....also how do i find an intake for the turbo, they are different right? i know where to find the turbo manifold and stuff....ill talk to you on your aim name later probably

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 2:41 PM
You have to make the intake yourself

Great (and sometimes bad) thing about DIY kits, is that there really is some fabrication and thinking involved. Its not pull it out of a box and bolt it up for the most part.

Thursday, March 17, 2005 4:52 PM
yea well that shouldnt be too hard....what all do i need to get air to the engine, like major parts such as turbo header, and wastegate and stuff if i buy that turbo i showed you, do i need a new intake manifold to? or no? and if i buy that turbo tonight i will be able to use it right? its the right kind i need?

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Thursday, March 17, 2005 7:03 PM
i suggest you do a LOT of research before you even THINK about beginning if you have all these questions....on average, a GOOD basic turbo kit should cost about 3,000, a "cheap" one will be about 2g's, and of course if you're going higher boost, anywhere from 3-5k, and beyond of course. 1g is cutting it close, and if you dont know what you're doing, like i said, do your research, and a lot of it. and not just a day's worth.

turbo for 1000 bucks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Thursday, March 17, 2005 8:03 PM
no i understand it pretty good, ive read up a lot and seen quite a few pictures and stuff, and talked to kickazz on AIM about it. im just gonna get the basics and upgrade over time.

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Friday, March 18, 2005 8:31 PM
man just read the FAQ. It tells u everything. And to get the air into the engine u will use the charge pipes, that will go from the intercooler (if ur using one) to the throttle body.
Friday, March 18, 2005 9:11 PM
yea i think i got it now....i cant wait, placed a bid on a t3 today! woot

wikkymaster <<-

check out my blogs!
Gov't Auto Auction

How I Stopped Smoking

Easy online cash

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search