? 4 knowledge turbo owners - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
? 4 knowledge turbo owners
Sunday, March 20, 2005 11:15 AM
im in the navy and im out to sea and my 03 cavalier is getting ready to have the Hahns stage two trubo kit installed on it. I already bought it and im wondering what it takes to boost it from 8psi to 9 or 10 psi. Is there anything that im going to have to change on the engine.
Also ive never own a turbod car so any tips on the turbo system, etc would be appriciated.
I was also wondering what a boost controler was and has to do with it. thanks guys

Suspension done, Body done, Engine next.......
O S&!T did you see that................... I think it was a CAVALIER

Re: ? 4 knowledge turbo owners
Sunday, March 20, 2005 3:55 PM
read. read. read. Learn

Turbos are extremely touchy. They need TLC. Good oil, cool down time, and proper installation. But the most important is that your car is set up to handle as much boost as you want.
Monday, March 21, 2005 11:03 AM
so what would you say has to be done to handle that

Suspension done, Body done, Engine next.......
O S&!T did you see that................... I think it was a CAVALIER
Monday, March 21, 2005 11:43 AM
#1 high flow exhaust.........with turbo, look at the 4-2-1 headers @ rksport.com, make sure to get the "bendy" headers, and not shorty's......shorty's are for superchargers.......that will make a significant difference...other than that????i do know that rsm stage 2 supercharger.....needs nothin but a high flowing exhust to install....but that comes with everything including ecu progarmming....but im still learning bout turbos....ne one find any turbo kits for the 2.4L all i can seem to find are kits for the 2.2L......meh....i want it supercharged anyway....good luck with ur project
Monday, March 21, 2005 11:51 AM
Quote:

#1 high flow exhaust.........with turbolook at the 4-2-1 headers @ rksport.com, make sure to get the "bendy" headers, and not shorty's......shorty's are for superchargers

I hope you are joking.... turbo's need different styles of headers, built to attach a turbo to...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 21, 2005 11:55 AM
Headers are for superchargers or n/a, unless you get a turbo header made. Your gonna need internals if you want to run any more boost. Awhile back HCI had a huge ecotec writeup and they dynoed somewhere around 265hp to the wheels on the stage 2 kit. 265Hp is about the limit GM on the bottom end, so pistons and connecting rods are highly recommended. Its probably recommended that you have a 3" mandrel bend exhuast and high flow cat.
Monday, March 21, 2005 3:27 PM
I'm going to sound like a prick, if you get offended, so be it.

Everybody but Shifted, please shut up. First off, org memebers have run 16 PSI with good sized turbo's on ECO's daily, with no issues. How? TUNE IT.

Simply, it's all in your fuel setup. There are a number of solutions out there, ranging in price and effectiveness. You got your standard FMU, then FMU with larger injectors and an FPR to lower the base idle, there's extra injector controllers, like the MF2 or the SDS EIC that add injectors to the charge pipes (or even the manifold runners if you want to be high speed), Emanage or SAFC with larger injectors, or even a standalone fuel system.

I've used an FMU and the MF2, both have their ups and downs. Basically, sit down, look at your goals, and see what best accomplishes those goals. Personally, the extra injector setup worked great for me, great range of tuning available, and it's easier to work up to higher power levels. The downside is tuning takes a while.

O noes!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 9:57 AM
Smokey not to be a prick neither, but go ahead and run 16 psi at the track and then drive your car back home to tell about it.
It will not happen. Damn I am starting to hate this @!#$.
Just because one guy did it it goes same for all the motors.
Eco cut off point is about 280 WHP coming from people that have blown plenty, no matter what fuel set up your are running.

On a good Turbo set up that could be 10-13 psi.
Well maybe not 10, but 16 will definetelly put you beyond the point of return.
Lets all now talk about the 21 psi spikes, shall we??

BTW, Kyle you are such a @!#$ newb to make a statement about Exhaust manifold like that, where the hell do you put a Turbo then?? lmao And don't forget to get a shorty one too!!! What a joke.
Flame me or whatever, but 16 psi is a no-no if you don't have a spare motor.

Best time:"""11.946""" @ 114.73 mph @17psi 1.83--60"
11 second daily driver!!!!
Race Related 727-561-9440
Shop of choice for your 11 second J body!

Also, built bottom end and or top end LSJ and L61's available.
13's ----12's ----11's ----10's

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:14 AM
for 10 psi get an e-manage and larger injectors. you can run 10 psi on an eco. I run 10 psi on my 2.2. I did just blow my head gasket but it was cause of a coolant issue due to my thermostat failing. I ran 2 years on that 7-10 psi.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search