Gatorback Belt for s/c Anyone else have problems?? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Gatorback Belt for s/c Anyone else have problems??
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:25 PM
Hey guys I've had the s/c on my car for about 2 months now and I had gotten the kit from a guy locally and the belt was already used. It seems to sometimes be squealing like crazy for the first 15 minutes of driving it......Then I realized that the belt is shredding on one side b/c there are belt pieces on my hood,s/c, and alternator... You can see the belt fraying on one side...

Do you think that the belt could be bad and that is what is causing this? Would it be better if I go with the belt from GM??? Thanks guys

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!

Re: Gatorback Belt for s/c Anyone else have proble
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:02 PM
the gm one is like $130 but mine did the same thing and it never broke yet. It frayed so i clipped all the frayed stuff off and it is fine now. As for the squeeling i don't really know. I didnt have squeeling problems till i went with the 4050722 belt. there is also a post some where on the org about the reason for the fraying. It is because gm cuts ten rib belts into 5s and packages them with the kit.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:11 PM
I had some belt "strings" initially around the resoivoir, but that was the first week I had it. Ever since then its been o.k.
As for the squeeking, mines is still quiet. Knock on wood.

If I see too much damage on the belt I would change the belt, if I was you.

>>>For Sale? Clicky!<<<
-----The orginal Mr.Goodwrench on the JBO since 11/99-----

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:24 PM
Yea I'm gonna take the belt off and look at it closer and see if its really bad...if it is then i'll replace it....as for the squealing it might just be my belt tensioner which i will change sometime soon i'm just so lazy i'll put it off till the last minute lol

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:29 PM
yeah i am thinking my tensioner is bad too. Just like you though i am too lazy to change it so it will get put off some more.
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:34 PM
^^ I dont know if im just lazy or if its cause I know what a pain in the ass its gonna be to take everything off and I just dont feel like doing it lol

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:40 PM
I had the same problem with my S/C belt. It turned out to be a bad tensioner and the belt would "walk" off the crank pulley by one rib and shred the belt in doing so. I swapped out the tensioner and it works great now.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 5:50 PM
Is it possible that if it is the tensioner that is bad .......that the belt could not be on tight enough because the tensioner isnt keeping the right tension on it causing the s/c pulley not to spin like it should be?????

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 7:05 PM
^^^ You got it! The belt will slip on the pulley if there is not enough tension.

Quoth the Raven 'Nevermore
raven@accesswave.ca
Raven Autosports
55 McQuade Lake Cres,
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
(902) 850-3330
10.82@132
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 12:40 AM
and also check to make sure its free from every thing else... i might be rubbing on somthing... I have had my S/C on for about 3weeks now and all seems to be going well. (knocks on wood)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search