BIG TURBO KIT QUESTIONS - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
BIG TURBO KIT QUESTIONS
Friday, March 18, 2005 3:01 PM
I would like to start just stating that I have been researching for a long time now. I’m selling my cavalier now and getting a brand new one, with an auto. I have a few parts in my position already and want to know what I should buy to finish up my setup.
I have the turbo that supports over 450 hp and over 20psi. ($800 turbo, t3/t4). A turbo smart waste gate, a good amount of stainless piping ( mandrel bent), stage two CV joints, tranny cooler, turbo smart two stage boost controller, Autometer Boost/vac, EGT gauge, A/F gauge. For now that is all I have. I plan on spending 3500 more, that is all I would have for the parts and the tuning and some labor that is need because some things I am not sure on. I’m not going to say I want a set horsepower, but I want to run high to mid twelve’s on the quarter. I don’t know if I should go and wait for hp tuners or not. Stainless or aluminum pipes. Cutout or 3in exhaust, wide band O2 or not, just some questions on my mind.
I would ask the local shop about what to do but I don’t trust them as much as I trust all you who have done it before. I have looked for months now about how to do things. I just want final answers on how to do it all so that I don’t have any more questions to ask from everyone. I just want to know if you had the money that I do and the parts that I have so far, what would you do to make the car run that fast and not blow up.
If someone can give a VERY detailed instructions on what to do and who to buy from, I will send you $25 in the mail just to get this all out of the way. I have spent to much time looking up who to buy from and what is the best. It is busting my brain to much. Well if anyone has any good ideas that would be great or if anyone thinks they can help me out ALOT and give me a lot of info on how to do this other then the basics, email me at Boostingcav@yahoo.com I would be glad to send you some money for the extra help. THANKS and sorry for the long post.

Re: BIG TURBO KIT QUESTIONS
Friday, March 18, 2005 6:05 PM
ummm... i bought a book called "Maximum Boost" by corky bell it helps you out alot and try www.atpturbo.com they have some great parts and very good service...

Friday, March 18, 2005 6:29 PM
thanks for the reply. i know aboutthe book, have not looked at it tho. thanks for your reply
Friday, March 18, 2005 6:40 PM
no problem but you need to look into it or some other kinda reference... but good luck

Friday, March 18, 2005 10:15 PM
I understand all about turbos and putting them together, i could do my own if i really wanted but i dont trust myself doing it. i also know places to buy the parts but i want others who know more help me out. thanks for your post
Saturday, March 19, 2005 6:54 AM
what do you need help with??

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:17 AM
what parts i need to buy to run my car to the low 12's and be safe without blowing everything and who to buy it from.... and how you might lay the pipes out, i dont know if i should go under the car, over the block, or go thru the overflow and take it out and move it, for the intercooler pipes, stuff like that. i only have 3500 left for my setup. about 1000 of that is labor. and youshould see above what parts i have so far ^^^^^. thanks
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:28 AM
if you plan on running that quick in the quarter id sugest some forged rods/pistons. and What motor is the new cav going to have? eco right? bigger fuel pump, msd dis programable. I havent done any turbo setups on my cav but these things are the first to come to mind if i were going to turbo it.

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:19 AM
i had kind of thought i would need pistons and rods (9:1). but i dont know from who. thanks for your help tho
Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:33 AM
umm if you need rods and pistons go to karo at carcustoms.net and you'll need a new fuel pump, injectors, FPR, FMU but it really depends on the engine some ppl on here talk about running 12psi on stock internals..

Saturday, March 19, 2005 9:35 AM
talk to Shifted (KickAzz) he knows alot about it

Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:04 PM
Ok thanks for your help. I thought that more people would reply to this, thank you for your help streetfire97
Saturday, March 19, 2005 8:17 PM
You'll need to rebuild your engine completely, top to bottom.

You have to keep in mind though, you can't just build an engine, put a turbo kit on it, turn up the boost, and run 12's. Expect to spend a lot of downtime and a lot of money at a dyno. You have to tune your way down to twelves, probably spend an entire season doing so.

Its really difficult to get a streetable J into the low 12's. Not only do you have to perform engine work, pay for turbo stuff, you have to strengthen the drivetrain, axles, suspension, all that fun stuff.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Sunday, March 20, 2005 10:18 AM
I see what your talking about. I saw a fully built motor in the classifieds. Im going to buy that so the motor does not blow apart and i have the axles and alot of suspension work done. If that hptuner thing would come out, tuning would not be as much of a problem. I know what goes into building a fast car, i guess i just wanted to know what parts you would buy to finish up a turbo kit. How many PSI do you think is needed to run 12's. Thanks for the post shifted!
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:20 AM
you do know what 12's in the 1/4 mile is right. its a lot and its hard to street that on a 4 cyl. to get that you need a real big turbo then stand alone fuel . and forged everything.
finaly a lot of head work.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 11:22 AM
Don't buy that classifieds ad for the built engine, the person selling it is a known scammer and we are working to remove his ad from the forums.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 12:26 PM
Devin M wrote:
I would ask the local shop about what to do but I don’t trust them as much as I trust all you who have done it before.

There is your first mistake. Don't trust anyone but yourself. Do the research, learn, teach yourself .........

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005 1:27 PM
Exactly what Skillz said.

Don't come here asking for the answers! Best thing you can do is research and read as much/long as you can and then start collecting the parts and assembling the engine.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, March 22, 2005 4:04 PM
I am sorry for answers? I think. Well anyways i will keep doing my own research then. I have read a few books. Read almost every post i can find. Thanks alot shifted for warning me about the scam. I would like to ask how you do know this? i wanted that motor so bad, oh well. Well then, i have a few questions to ask then. I have seen the answers to the questions before but can you answer with a simple answer.
Would you say go with the jonnyrace intercooler for a 10-14psi setup or this
spearco inercooler

go with a tial bov or a turbosamrt like this turbo smart bov

i have a few stainless pipes, should i go for aluminum for the rest or just buy more stainless

one more thing i want to know is, who to buy a manifold from? thanks for all your help! sorry for all the questions and and inconvenience.
Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:50 PM
any answers or do i HAVE to keep looking for the answers
Thursday, March 24, 2005 5:38 PM
Devin M wrote:any answers or do i HAVE to keep looking for the answers

I would definately get the jonnyrace intercooler. I've read a lot of post that say they are of the best quality, great welds, and good prices too.

tial also seems to be the biggest name brand in wastegates. I'd get one, and I plan to when I start getting my turbo parts.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search