Possible new 2.4L turbo kit - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Possible new 2.4L turbo kit
Thursday, March 24, 2005 8:51 AM
I'm working on putting out a 2.4L turbo kit for J-bodys. I'm going to try and get some competitive prices out there.

2.4L stage one
t3 turbo, log style manifold, piping, blox fmu, MSD fuel pump, authentica bov, oil kit, boost gauge, A/F gauge, and dual pod, and gaskets.

Price:$2300 US

2.4L stage 2
All of the above plus intercooler and manual boost controller for
Price:$2800 US

Also if you want a different brand name part the price can change or if you already have some things in the kit and you want a price for the rest of the kit just ask thanks.

Who would be interested in this?????
Any questions just post them???

Re: Possible new 2.4L turbo kit
Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:18 AM
The kits are missing a lot of parts to be that expensive.

Vac hose
Screw in IAT
Spark plugs
Air filter
BOV Weld flange
Downpipe <- Big one...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 24, 2005 9:20 AM
I would also suggest that you build and install a turbo kit on your own vehicle before selling them, there are a hundred little things that you might not think about that your customers will definately be on your ass about.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:30 AM
SHIFTED: First of all I could throw in the vaccumm lines if they want they are like $5 at any parts store, spark plugs and air filter are again not a problem, they are like $20 each. The BOV weld flange comes with the BOV. I can't do the down pipe though, but I will put the flange from the turbo so all you have to do is take the flange to and exhaust shop and get a pipe welded to it. Not that big of a deal. Oh and I am going to install it on my car first so everyone can see it. Oh and siliconce boots come with the piping kit.

Oh and SHIFTED: What is an screw in AIT???? Is that the same as a check valve???

Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:32 AM
Oh and just so everyone knows the stage one could go down to $2000 but I am going to see how much everything costs first. $2300 was the highest price.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 11:39 AM
Thats exactly what can get you in trouble, you don't know parts and setups well enough to actually be selling to people. A screw in IAT is an intake air temperature sensor that screws in instead of being held in by a grommet.

Seriously though, do your car first, then ask about the interest in making kits. $2300 for a kit without an intercooler and no downpipe is a bit on the high side...

Are your pipes going to be pre-bent and welded?
Are you going to have different charge pipe routings for autos and manuals?
Pre-clocked turbos?
What size turbo?
Brand new or used/rebuilt?
Different setups for those with the HO manifold?
What wastegate setting?

Thursday, March 24, 2005 12:59 PM
I would be interested in one but again i would want to see on ur car first and like Shifted said u would need to answers some of the questions hes got
Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:05 PM
Shifted Y you always have to bring a man down. J/P I agree with him on this one. A lot of ?'s must be answered. But hey your just starting at this so in time you will learn. Gotta start somewhere.
Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:12 PM
I'm definately not bringing the man down, I'm all for new JBO businesses especially in the lacking 2.4 turbo department. There's just two things that I would like to see avoided:

#1: A new company ruined because everybody knows first impressions last forever, especially with companies. Coming out with an incomplete or scrapped together product will only damage the company forever. Everytime something comes up, the guy who bought the kit and couldn't get it to work would be posting saying "don't buy it, its junk".

#2: The guy who buys it and doesn't get what he expects. I don't know about you, but if I dropped $2000 - $2300 on a turbo "kit" it better damn well be the WHOLE kit. Bolt it on and go. Since Herman here hasn't even put a kit on his own car yet, how could he at the very least, offer customer support to those who are installing his product? They'd say "where does my IAT go", and he'd reply "whats an IAT?". Not to mention just throwing a kit together would end up costing the buyer a lot of money to get it to work on his engine, and just leads back to #1.

Definately not cutting the man down, just want to see him do it right, than do it and fail miserably, and end up being one of the JBO bad businesses, and having pissed off customers who are lacking $2000-$2300...

Thursday, March 24, 2005 1:45 PM
Ok SHIFTED. Just so you know I have had a turbo kit on my car before and the car worked great for 8 monthes until my tranny gave out and I had to sell the turbo kit to pay for my tranny repairs. I ran 10 psi on my setup for 6 of the 8monthes. So don't bash on me about not installing the turbo kit on my car yet. I didn't have this AITcrap you are talking about and the car ran flawlessly. The pipes are going to be prebent and mandrel bent. No I'm not going to be making different routing for the auto and manual cars. I mean if you can't figure a way around something like that then you shouldn't be installing your own turbo kit. The turbo can be any size you want as long as its a t3 exhaust housing. Oh and they are going to be new. The waste gates are adjustable with the screw on top of them.I mean really.

Thursday, March 24, 2005 2:58 PM
Shifted, I know Herman he is a good guy. trust he will put a good product out there. Most people do not run screw in IAT's anyways, so that is not a big deal. Most kits out there do not come with those. Plugs, people can buy there opwn plugs, but I'm sure Herman could include them as well. Yes I think the hoses, prefitted should be included.
As he stated if people want certain better parts he can get them maybe like a BOV, so then a flange with it.

FU Tuning

Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:36 PM
i have an idea -- why don't you learn about cars first, and try to market turbo kits second?
Thursday, March 24, 2005 3:36 PM
everyones got an IAT but not everyone has a screw in IAT

Vice President - NEJBody
2007 Cobalt SS
2001 Sunfire (retired)
Friday, March 25, 2005 5:34 AM
Thanks John. Hows it been going man???? I'm trying here man. I'm just going to have to have the kit on my car first so everyone can see or else its useless to even talk to people.

XYRTH: Here is an idea: first stop posting unless you have something useful to say. Second I don't see you trying to build a kit

Friday, March 25, 2005 6:02 AM
Herman, not doubting you but i would talked about you kit. To many people coming with companies selling turbo's. Great idea but i would have everything together or planned out before coming on here.

2004 Grand Prix GTP (Competition Group)
SOLD-->1999 Z24 5M-#30 to register on JBO
"You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all the people'
all the time

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search