turbo manifolds - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo manifolds
Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:25 PM
is cavalier connection the only place they sell manifolds for the 2.2 2200?

Re: turbo manifolds
Saturday, March 26, 2005 2:44 PM
ebay

Saturday, March 26, 2005 3:30 PM
Until cav connection redesigns their header, I recommend not getting it

It restricts what you can do with your turbo

just a heads up

Saturday, March 26, 2005 3:51 PM
are they ebay manifolds any good?
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:31 PM
Yea thats waht i was wondering if the ebay manifolds are any good cuase i was lookin at those the other day.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:43 PM
LowFire - Can you email me (LCador@JTuners.com) about the redesign suggestions on the Cavalier Connection 2.2 turbo header? We haven't experienced any issues, nor heard of any yet. Always interested in feedback to help us improve! Thanks - Leo
Saturday, March 26, 2005 4:47 PM
Saturday, March 26, 2005 7:40 PM
I purchased one off e-bay sometime in October. It was around $200, looked alot like the exploited racing. Wields are good, but the mani ends were a little crooked and the T3 flange was wielded a little low. I have a quarter inch (maybe less) between the turbo and body. The thing isnt complete yet, I may need to take the mani out and grind the flanges down a bit for more space. Goes to show, you get what you pay for.
I dont know the name of the seller i bought it from.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:35 PM
once again. if you have a 2200-2.2 go with exploited. the best on the market.
Saturday, March 26, 2005 8:39 PM
EXPLOITED IS NOT RELIABLE DO NOT ORDER FROM HIM!!

Saturday, March 26, 2005 9:04 PM
Yeah, I shopped for a while. check cav connection, exploited, and some others. Decided to make my own kit rather than wait forever. So if i miff it, its my fault. Exhaust and intake is all thats left. So 5 months of work will hopefully pay off. Figure I have only saved about $700 so far compair to kits, but its learning, and fun! Done a lot over e-bay and no big disappointments.
Sorry off subject.

Monday, March 28, 2005 4:52 PM
Responded here and email Leo, but got no feedback from you

Get in touch with me

Monday, March 28, 2005 8:27 PM
I had the CAVCON header and it cracked on like two weeks, NOT from poor tuning either. I was only running 6 PSI on it w/ FMU, pump, and some injectors(270 I think). Anyways, it cracked right at the flange(head) on the two middle runners, then the 2nd runner broke completely in two at the collector. It isn't a bad design, but is made out of CRAP. My table vise was able to smash the piping with very little force applied.
Get some flanges(if you have a welder) and a mandrel bent 2" u-bend and make your own for under $100. I made mine and it hasn't cracked, warped,etc.

Failure is not failure if you learn from it
Monday, March 28, 2005 9:27 PM
get in contact with cnfx 610-266-1900 they are pretty busy right now with mine but could make you a manifold

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, March 28, 2005 10:35 PM
Any machine shop could make u one, but would cost u, but im sure they could make a very reliable and efficient manifold.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:55 AM
LowFire - Sorry for the delayed reply. We've been working with a custom header manufacturer lately to consider a few more changes to our 2.2L OHV turbo header & down-pipe. We had already been contemplating a couple of changes and got some additional suggestions here and from customers. High on the consideration list are a 2.5" down-pipe and a brace to provide additional support to the turbo and external waste-gate to prevent the header tubes from having to provide all the support. We're working as fast as possible to incorporate such changes, but there are many factors we have to take into consideration - for example: * Clearances and ease-of-installation (a 2.5" pipe requires a larger turn radius, thus taking more room); * Retrofit for customers with the current design (i.e. we'd like to make the support bracket a bolt-on for that reason) ; * Initial costs of design change and jig retooling; * Performance (of course!); * Manufacturing practicalities (i.e. whatever we design has to be repeatable and cost effective); etc.

Since purchasing the company 5 months ago, we've started heat-coating all headers (2,300 degrees) inside & out to prevent heat-soak from possibly weakening the welds and pipes themselves. We've also learned quite a bit about metallurgy (i.e. stainless steel properties/qualities/costs versus mild steel, mandrel pre-bent manufactured pipe weld-seam quality, etc.) and have switched to laser-cut flanges and a different raw materials provider as a result. We also spent quite a bit of time at a well-respected header manufacturer studying vibrational issues with headers/exhaust systems and exploring designs to reduce those stresses, as well as the geometry of various mandrel pipe bends and properties of different types of joint welds to reduce possible "binding" stresses.

As I've mentioned before - we take the quality of our product and customer satisfaction very seriously. We're listening to customers, we're talking to some industry experts, and we're spending the time and money necessary to continually improve our kits. It may seem we're moving a bit slowly sometimes, but we're very "measure twice, cut once" oriented and have many factors to consider with any proposed design change. Plus, all design changes must be installed and tested for performance and durability before we offer them to our customers.

We've also been discussing forming a Technical Advisory Board made up of a mix of turbo, piping, and GM engine experts, as well as some knowledgeable customers and/or J-body.org members to develop and analyze additional ideas on improvements to our kits.

So if we seem a little quiet or slow to respond occasionally - we're not asleep at the switch - we're busy doing the things we need to do to honor our commitment to providing the best possible products/prices to J-body owners. Thanks - Leo
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search