GM SC 96-98 2.4s, How They Running, Reliability Q? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM SC 96-98 2.4s, How They Running, Reliability Q?
Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:27 PM
Just wondering, the GM SC has been out for quite some time now and I was wondering if people with the 99 and lower 2.4s are having good success with their cars. Just need to know befor I buy if it will be reliable for me, also whats the price of these down to new or used? I remember them being 1995$ at the dealership, are they lower yet? Also what have people been successful useing on 96-99 cars? Just trying to find a deal on this, but I might break down and buy one new.

Thanks
Chris

1998 Z24 Convertible 5 Speed

Re: GM SC 96-98 2.4s, How They Running, Reliability Q?
Sunday, March 27, 2005 9:36 PM
If you can solve the EGR issue, they are just as reliable as the 00+'s.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 28, 2005 6:36 AM
Whats the deal with the EGR, cant you just get the block off plate, does it through a code or something?

1998 Z24 Convertible 5 Speed
Monday, March 28, 2005 6:37 AM
Yeah it does, I think ZZPerformance sells an EGR Simulator that you can use, I'm not sure on the details.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, March 28, 2005 7:16 AM
i have a 96 z24 and i just bought the gm s/c. the wierd thing though is that i also bought a new twin cam off ebay with 20k miles on it. It almost brand new. So i will have a 96 z24 cavalier with a 2000+ twin cam with the 9.5:1 compression ratio. So i have the right engine for the s/c but the ECU will still be a 96. I should be done soon so ill let cha know how it goes.

p.s.- i also have a dry 75 shot kit........high 12's here i come........
Monday, March 28, 2005 8:14 AM
i too have a 96 with a 2k motor. The 96 ecu runs everything( just had to drill and re tap the knock sensor hole for the 96 knock sensor).

I had the s/c on for about 5k miles and no problems. I have experimented with different fuel set ups, and let me tell u the best is the Walbro intank pump, cartech FMU and stock injectors. I am just going off what my spark plugs( i use rapid fire # 5's) look like.

EGR- i had the simulator and it made my my car run like crap, it must have been the drop in the voltage going to the map sensor, as u have to tap into the map sensor wire. Some have had good luck with it . I just clear the EGR code everytime i start up the car, sorta annoying , but it runs like stock now compared to when it was hooked up.(random stalling, rough idle, and bogging).

need any other info just holler, i can help u out with it all your ?s

Re: GM SC 96-98 2.4s, How They Running, Reliabilit
Monday, March 28, 2005 11:14 AM
my buddys 96 Z with 96 motor is still running strong, he actually is rebilding another motor as we speak, forged everything. race head, 8 psi pulley and nitrous.

he has no problems, I drove it and it's nice

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, March 28, 2005 1:05 PM
i got the egr sim and it works great, might just be the 96 pcm is finicky with taping into the lines as the only people i herd with problems like jake have a 96

stock injectors are good for stock pulley as long as you have a stronger pump and an adjustable fmu, but you will kill the injectors 5x faster as for 190hp they will have to be in the 80-90psi range at wot

if your running smaller pulleys and alot of mods then its time for larger injectors, so you will need a adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and most likely a safc or emanage on top of what was mentioned above

Monday, March 28, 2005 8:49 PM
^ how did u tap your wires for the EGR sim.? u got a picture u can send me? Mine were pretty ghetto. I know another 96z24 guy who has it and it works fine, and a guy with a 98z24 i think has it with no problems. So mine has to get working. hmm

I still have the egr simulator somewhere, i might give it another whirl and see if i can make it like my car, so send over a picture if u could . jake_drew@hotmail.com.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:01 AM
Jake , did RSM ever get back to you about doing there reflash for you ??
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 6:54 AM
no, i will e mail them again. It sounds like i have to bring my car up there.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:59 AM
i called that zzperformance on the egr simulator stuff.

I dont understand how it would work fine on a few other peoples cars and not mine.I have to talk to a tech guy tommorow. I want to use the one i bought, it wasnt a tough hook up and got ride of the code, it just made the car bog out . I dunno, i remember i didnt like the way it ran with it hooked up and removing it made it run better so clearing the EGR code was worth a smooth drive to work.

hmm

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:08 AM
with the egr sim tapping into the map sensor wire, wouldnt that cause problems for and safc setup cuz they would both tap into the same wire..... i would think that it would cause a MAJOR voltage drop.....
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:24 AM
^^^ not if you wire it up right, the safc changes the output of the map anyway, you can always stick a transistor in the line to boost the signal or something like that i know there is a post about that somewhere on here

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 9:49 AM
So if I were going to s/c a 97-99, what would need to be done? I would just have to buy that egr sim?

1998 Cavalier Z24
Getting Boosted!
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:50 AM
go vortech...yeah baby......
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:12 PM
98redcavz24 wrote:So if I were going to s/c a 97-99, what would need to be done? I would just have to buy that egr sim?

your gonna need alot more then that

to start off

00 starter
larger injectors
afpr
afmu

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 4:29 PM
^^ Unless you are lucky like me and can use the s/c injectors and already have the starter

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search