Hahn Stage 1 Kit - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Hahn Stage 1 Kit
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 2:28 PM
Has anyone here installed the Hahn Stage 1 and had Lean A/F mixture problems and overboosting? My signal hoses are connected as per the manual states.

Any help would be great.....

Re: Hahn Stage 1 Kit
Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:00 PM
non intercooled turbo = waste of time

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:21 PM
Rodimus Prime wrote:non intercooled turbo = waste of time

That advice = pile of @!#$.

What is included in the kit for fuel management?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005 7:43 PM
i've had that issue with the stage 2 kit also.
i'm still working it out. Seems like i always
go lean at full boost. The FMU i got with the
kit definitly doesn't do the job. Good luck.
Oh and don't mind the extremely critical and
completely unhelpful people you find some people
are really usefull but i have noticed way to many
people just want to dump on each other or harrass
other peoples attempts at working on their car.
There are others however like SHIFTED who are
very knowledgeable and helpful. So once again
good luck.

Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:44 AM
Thanks guys, I'm running a regulator, and an aux. in-line fuel pump. But I took my car to a buddy of mine who knows turbo stuff. Apparently the installation instructions make no sense when it comes to installing the signal hoses. It states that you should run a hose from the turbo to the wategate and to the regulator, and then another hose between the Manifold and the BOV. But if you do that the regulator gets no vacuum. reading. So the wastegate doesn't open and the fuel goes lean when I hit it. The installation instructions even state in the function of the signal hoses that they "carry Vacuum and boost signals to the regulator".

I routed one hose from the manifold to the BOV and the regulator. and just connected the turbo and wasegate together with another hose. And now the turbo works perfect.

Weird Eh??
Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:28 AM
your obviously not very helpful or knowledgeable encouraging someone to turbo without an intercooler. I'm being realistic here you going to make maybe 5-6hp per psi non intercooled as opposed to making 10-15 with an intercooler, you make the call

Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:49 AM
Some people do very well on non-intercooled low boost setups. Saying that a non-intercooled setup is a waste of time is a bit on the ignorant side. After it gets into the head, boost is boost, so are you also saying that non-intercooled (or aftercooled) supercharger setups (like the RSM one you love so much) is a waste of time as well? Basically put, with the right tuning, a low boost non-intercooled kit will work just fine for most people who don't want to run more than 5 or 6 psi at the most.

I will agree, that there really is no excuse not to intercool a kit with the price of some intercoolers on the market, but saying that a kit bought without an intercooler is a waste of time pretty much can spill over into the RSM and GM supercharger just as easily, and I can find a LOT of people who don't think that was a waste of time (or money).

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, March 31, 2005 8:23 AM
the afpr that hahn uses is not made to run with vacuum , it only needs the boost siginal

my friends stage 2 kit is still very rich , according to the wide band o2 he has and from the dyno run he made

how do you know yours is lean ?? and PLEASE do not say its from your a/f gauge

unless it is a wide band o2 gauge , or from a dyno run

and ill agree intercoolers do not mean alot when it comes to performance , ive see cars make well over 1000hp with out intercoolers

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:21 AM
I know its running lean because of my A/F gauge. It doesn't take a genius to see that when I pin the gas the gauge goes fully lean and doesn't move towards the rich side until I let up. I know A/F gauges aren't really accurate but they are somewhat accurate. And the statement saying that the Hahn regulator doesn't require vacuum makes no sense. The instructions sate," Signal hoses carry vacuum and boost signals to the fuel pressure regulator." That is word for word out of the Installation manual that Hahn sent me. And then they tell you to hook up the hoses so that the regulator can't get any vacuum signal.
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:23 AM
Plus, I'm looking into getting a small side mount intercooler from a Talon and fitting it to my kit in the near future. Sorry I didn't mention that in my previous post
Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:28 AM
i have the stage 2 kit. i have the signal wires set up per instructions and it works fine. it doesnt, in reality, need to see the vacuum signal just the boost. that way it can raise the pressure accordingly. your tuning is what should give you the right fuel for regualr driving.

oh and your crummy nbO2 aint doing @!#$ for you. get a wideband or find a dyno. you'll be suprised to see just how far off your gauge is I bet.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26

Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:46 AM
pretty much those cheapo a/f gauges are just pretty lights

get a wide band o2 set up , and/or dyno time

then come back and let us know , untill then your info is pretty much useless

Thursday, March 31, 2005 1:31 PM
[quote=97cavie24ls(JDM cav sedan™)]pretty much those cheapo a/f gauges are just pretty lights

get a wide band o2 set up , and/or dyno time

then come back and let us know , untill then your info is pretty much useless

I'll get a wide band once I have over $300 American to spend on a stupid gauge (I'm Canadian, so it costs me almost double), and I'm going on the dyno sometime in April so I'll do that and let you know. But do you think a normal A/F gauge would be so off as to give me a full lean signal when I'm supposed to be running full rich????. I dunno, I'll just put her on the dyno and find out.

But in all honesty, thanks for helping guys
Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:05 PM
my whole point is the regualr a/f gauges are just a light show , not to many people i know with them even know if they work correctly , other than to say the light moves around and pauses on the lean and rich side

best is to either dyno it , or put a wide band on it even if you have to borrow 1 just to test with , its only gonna save you in the end

also pull your spark plugs out and look them over they should be a light brown to a darker brown/black color

the whiter they are the leaner the motor is

its best to check them after yoou make a full pass on boost , shut the motor off dont let it idle then check them , use high temp antisieze on the threads also

Thursday, March 31, 2005 6:52 PM
difference is a supercharger dont heat up the air as much but wahtever

Friday, April 01, 2005 7:21 AM
I contacted the hahn techs at one point after and
during my install and they told me the same thing
both times the FPR should NOT see vacuum
only boost.

Friday, April 01, 2005 7:35 AM
connect your wastegate to your turbo. then connect your fpr to your intake manifold USING a checkvalve so it only sees boost. my hahn kit made a complete turnaround and no more lean outs

Hahn Stage II
350 H.P. to the ground coming very soon
with total build up.
Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:18 PM
JustinsEcotec wrote:connect your wastegate to your turbo. then connect your fpr to your intake manifold USING a checkvalve so it only sees boost. my hahn kit made a complete turnaround and no more lean outs

Thats what I did and thats the way its staying. It works right now, no more over boosting and no more leaning out.

I called Hahn to and told them my problem and they were telling me to test my wastegate. Because apparently to them the wastegate causes leaning out????go figure. So thats how I feel about there technical advice. Plus they sent me an incomplete kit. It had a bunch of fittings and silicone couplers missing. I dunno what kind of shop there running, so my trust factor goes down for them. I hope no one else had the same problems I did, but thats just my opinion, I don't mean to offend anyone here.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search