Fuel Management = >headaches - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Fuel Management = >headaches
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:34 PM
Hi ,I spent hours reading about all this stuff : S-AFC , Greddy Eemanage , Msd ,Fmu, FPR,piggy back, and the others stand alone units ,it is still very complicate for me because it's not the kind of things we are used to talk about you know..

I read stickies and yes they were talking about these things but not enough in details..everywhere in the "Boost Section" everybody are talking about these terms and
it would be cool to understand better that stand here in this forum

So please it would be great if someone could explain in details each of these terms above , not only the definition but also what it is looking like, how it works, what it does,
when and why we should need them you know.. all what we should know about it !

P.S. Sorry if they are any mistakes , english is not my main language :S but i'll do my
best to be understood and to be as clear as possible

Re: Fuel Management = >headaches
Saturday, April 02, 2005 10:40 PM
Philippe Dionne wrote:Hi ,I spent hours reading about all this stuff : S-AFC , Greddy Eemanage , Msd ,Fmu, FPR,piggy back, and the others stand alone units ,it is still very complicate for me because it's not the kind of things we are used to talk about you know..

I read stickies and yes they were talking about these things but not enough in details..everywhere in the "Boost Section" everybody are talking about these terms and
it would be cool to understand better all this stuff, this way I would be able to understand a lot more threads in here

So please it would be great if someone could explain in details each of these terms above , not only the definition but also what it is looking like, how it works, what it does,
when and why we should need them you know.. all what we should know about it !

P.S. Sorry if they are any mistakes , english is not my main language :S but i'll do my
best to be understood and to be as clear as possible

Monday, April 04, 2005 6:36 AM
SAFC = a piggyback designed to FOOL your computer's ecu. you can adjust fuel curves in 500 RPM increments. some people like, some people don't. i personally think they are a waste.

Greddy E-Manage = a standalone design yet still piggyback management system. It is not a standalone if it utilizes your stock sensors. It's a great system and it costs around $830 for a full kit brand new with everything you need.

MSD = ignition. with a boosted car, you need more ignition spark and stock ignition doesn't always work the best. invest in an MSD ignition system. if you have the 2.2 OHV check out the MSD Blaster Coils.

FMU = fuel management unit. a cheap way of boost sensative fuel upgrades. for example: your car is not designed for turbocharging meaning the fuel system isn't ready for that horsepower gain. you need something telling your fuel system to send more fuel when you reach boost.

FPR = fuel pressure regulator. just that, gives you the adeqate fuel pressure you need. a must-have for a boost project. my recommendation is Aeromotive for FPR's. if you go with an aftermarket inline pump, Walbro makes GREAT pumps.

piggyback = anything "management" system utilizing your stock ECU / stock sensors.

standalone = any full EMS (Engine Management System) that uses its own computer, own sensors, etc. We're talking about EXPENSIVE such as Haltech, FAST, Motec, AEM EMS, etc.

does that help you out a lil bit bro?

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, April 04, 2005 10:49 AM
Thx for your help dude !

So for a turbo set up MSD in nessary since we have more pressure to spark

And if I buy a piggy back such as Greedy E-manage does it means that I don't have to worry about others piggy back such as safc and others??

About the FMU do we need one if we have an AFPR since it adjusts the pressure depending on the boost we are running at?

Can we say that Safc is a kind of FMU since we can adjust fuel curves ?

thx a lot for your help
Monday, April 04, 2005 10:57 AM
AFPR doesn't adjust the pressure based on boost, so you need both. You don't need an SAFC if you have the emanage, and vice-versa. The SAFC is sort of like an FMU, but some people still use both (like me). The FMU will give you an overall fuel adjustment, then you can use something like the SAFC to fine tune the fuel at different RPM points.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, April 04, 2005 2:55 PM
right. if you had a completely bone stock cavalier and boosted it to 6 psi a Vortech 8:1 FMU would be ok. But if you've got other mods and increased flow, its better to get a good aggressive tune on a dyno with a piggyback or standalone, whichever you prefer, to adjust fuel curves, timing, and all the fun stuff.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search