Update on my 2200 Turbo engine Build - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Update on my 2200 Turbo engine Build
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:46 PM
Ok, well i have the only equal length 2.2 turbo header made by Brian@Exploited racing, it looked very good, but once bolted up it was clear the turbo wouldnt fit, it was hitting the block, so i bolted up the turbo to the header and set it in place and figured tha i needed 1 more inch and everything would fit good, So i called up Brian and ordered 2 of his 2200 1/2" thick exhaust flanges, and got some longer bolts from home depot and botled everything up again and the turbo fit like a dream, exactly like i wanted it to. The Turbo is a straight T3, .48 turbine housing and i think the compressor is a 60 trim, but im not 100% on that, ill find out for sure when i take it to the rebuilder to have it gone thru. Im running external 38mm w/g and 2.5 downpipe into my existing 2.25 catback exhaust, if the 2.25 gets to restictive ill redo the whole set up in 2.5.

Also, you can click on the link below and see other pics on my engine buildup.

Click here for more pics

Thats all for now.

Mike

1992 GMC Sonoma GT #492. Oh, Its just a stock V6!

1999 Cavalier Coupe, daily driver, 2200/M5. Mods and pics are in my registry.

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Support the site that supports your habit, Go Premium.

Re: Update on my 2200 Turbo engine Build
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:52 PM
Ok, lets try and see if the pic will upload now

and another shot

Mike

Fully built turbo 2200 in progress, should be installed very soon. Will post details as they happen.
Monday, April 04, 2005 9:54 PM
F it, i give up i made them smaller and they still wont load up, oh well, click the link in the first post and you can see all the pics there.

Mike

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:03 PM
Man i really wish this forum had an edit button so i didnt have to keep making multiple post in my own thread.

But als here goes one more shot at getting these pics to upload.

And i believe i am doing it correctly now so lets try another one

Ok, lets hope this works.

Mike

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:07 PM
Damn man, that header is insane. Looks awesome.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:16 PM
Yeah looks like a twisted mess, but should make some serious power,now all i need is to be able to hack the PCM to make sure everything runs right.......hint hint.

Mike

Monday, April 04, 2005 10:17 PM
I'm workin on it

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:42 AM
sweet
Tuesday, April 05, 2005 6:54 PM
that header looks sooo cool

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 7:30 PM
It looks like you might have the same problem as me, the turbo is so low that its a pain to get the oil drain right. Not to mention the starter is right below the turbo. The header looks awesome though!

Tuesday, April 05, 2005 8:36 PM
Yeah, you may have a point about the starter, but ill find a way to make it work, will most liekly just have to clock the center part more on an angle instead of straight up and down like it is in the pics, and for oil drain its going to have to go straight to the oil pan itself, can just modify the oil fill tube, like on other kits. I think since the turbo is getting Jet Hot coated and there will be some air space the starter will live long and prosper, but i may have to build a heat shield just to make sure i dont get stranded with a fast car that wont start, been there before and your freinds never let you forget it.

Mike

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:25 AM
The oil drain on my 2.2 was also tough to make right. It works well, but it took a couple of tries with different fittings before I found something I liked. I placed the oil return fitting in the pan above the baffle in order to keep the liquid level below the return fitting at all times.

I haven't had any troubles with my starter. The exhaust side of my T25 is between 1/4" and 1/2" from the solenoid. I took the solenoid and starter apart and cleaned them up before the turbo install and all has been well. Because the turbo is mounted at the bottom of the block, I think airflow tends to direct heat from the turbo and starter out of the engine compartment below the pan. We're approaching a year since the turbo install with no major problems, including a trip from New England to Ohio and back.

Is that number 4 exhaust tube bend as tight as it looks in the picture??? Watch for hot spots there.

Have fun.

-->Slow
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 7:22 AM
Well i dont think line is low enough to cause problems, and yes the #4 primary is pretty tight, but i think it will be all good. Only time will tell though.

Mike

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 9:31 AM
I can tell you right now you're 2.25 will be to restictive

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 11:55 AM
Awesome, i remember nearly a year about you and I were talking about doing turbo builds when all the us Dallas folk came to hang out with u Houston guys. Now we are both making something happen. Good Job man, and that header look really awesome. I cant wait to see it togheter and what u'll be doing with it!

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 12:41 PM
QBE-- yeah that may end being the case, but for the time being i dont have the cash you redo it just cause, so ill keep it for now and atleast if anything it will boost torque.

greenfire--yeah i remember that day, and as it gets closer to being a reality i get more and more excited. Shoud be dont by the end of the year and installed.

But now im looking for a new job so my spending has been brought to a hualt until the moneu starts rolling in again.

Mike

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 2:47 PM
I must say that header impresses me everytime i look at it... to bad i only made one and got cridicized for it so i stopped.

I been kickin around making some other prototype headers... i got other orders to finish first tho.

-----------------------------------
www.exploitedracing.com
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 4:57 PM
That looks insane!! I love it!! I just have one little question, How much will those intermingled header pipes effect exhaust temps?
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:32 PM
Well, i think once its coated it wont make any differance.

And yes Brian ever since i seen the pic of it on your site, i always wanted to use it, but the price was alittle steep for me, unitll i stumballed across the deal for the only one.

If you were to make more of these, there is some changes that would have to be made, for one the turbo needs to be away from the block furthur, becasue with the current setup my little T3 barly fits. Plus the #4 primary is alittle on the tight side. But other than that i thinks its sweet as hell, and heavy as hell, im going to have to run 2 more 3's of boost to compensate for the weight.....LOL

Also Brian since your chimed in on here, if i have any cracking issues with this header, will you do anything for me to fix it? Or am i just up a creek?

Not saying i will have problems, and i adding atleast one and two if i can find the space support braces going from the turbo to the block, that shoud help with keeping the flexing down and hopefully alieviate any cracks.

Mike

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:33 PM
you will acually have lower EGT's because the exhaust gas is less compacted, and higher pressure = higher temps.

www.exploitedracing.com
Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:37 PM
It is defenitely impressive, but what about the thermostat outlet thing? It looks like the wastegate will be in the way, unless you put an extension off the wastegate outlet. All in all, it's fawking sweet!!

Failure is not failure if you learn from it

Wednesday, April 06, 2005 5:41 PM
already test fitted the t-stat housing and plenty of room to clear everything, the biggest clearance problem is going to be with the a/c compressor, i dont want to remove the a/c, so its going to get tight with the lines in there and the downpipe. But ill find a way to make everything work.

Mike

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search