garrett t25 on a jbody?? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
garrett t25 on a jbody??
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 8:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone has put a garrett t25 turbo on a jbody. particularly a 95-97 2.2
i have a t25 off my old tsi awd and was hoping to put it on my cavalier or my saturn. Also does anyone know where i can get the t25 compressor maps? thank you

damn right that says premium biatch!

Re: garrett t25 on a jbody??
Wednesday, March 30, 2005 11:10 PM
I think u would be the first. Personally i wouldn't. Its a pretty small turbo and ur pretty limited to what u can do with it. But it is small and spools fast, if ur looking for something very simple (turbo wise) and dont want tons of power then this turbo would be a good one to do. But everythign would have to be custom made. Not one of the venders here sells things in compliance with a t-25. But i think some wouldn't mind doing things like flanges. As for maps, i have no idea. Check some DSM forums.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:17 AM
Quote:

I think u would be the first.
While I'm unsure, I think I read about someone here using a t25. But I KNOW he wouldn't be the first to put a t25 on a J-body. GM was. - The 2.0 SOHC was turbocharged by a t25 from the factory. I can't remember what year that was(it was only one year - second gen I believe).

As for using the t25, I really wouldn't bother. You could pretty easily get a company to put on a t25 flange instead of a t3 flange for your turbo manifold. Thats not the problem. But there are a lot of other things you need to buy and have done to turbo charge your car, although since that's such a small turbo, you won't need quite as much stuff like fuel mods, or and intercooler, and certainly won't have to worry about hurting your internals, but still there is a lot to buy and do. And doing that stuff for the meager gains a t25 will offer just isn't worth it. Plus the turbo you have may very well be in need of (now or soon) a rebuild. I'd recommend you at least pick up a new t3 turbocharger(http://www.cheapturbo.com) to make turbocharging worth it. You can run real low boost to keep it cheap and avoid having to buying to many other parts right off the bat.

Yeah the t25 might be nice at first, but you'll want more real soon. And when you realize you want more, you'll also realize you have a t25 flange on your manifold, and that will really hold you back until you get a new flange on there, or a new manifold. It's much easier to move up with a t3 flange, and the t3 flange can work with far bigger turbochargers than you will probably have any use for or even could practically use(due to high lag of larger turbochargers).

I've never heard of this "part throttle" before. Does it just bolt on?
Thursday, March 31, 2005 7:55 AM
It would literally be more benificial to hook a vaccum hose up to your intake and blow into it while driving and making your own blow off valve noises.

A T25 just doesn't cut it on a larger engine like that, too much boost too early in the powerband, and not enough breathing power to sustain the power band it gives you down low.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, April 01, 2005 1:14 PM
I have a T25 equipped 89 Sunbird.
I have installed a T25 on a 93 Cavalier 2.2 with a 94-96 spec engine.

It's not too small.
It does cut it.

The 2.0 OHC engine is not the best flowing engine around, and consequently you can feel room for improvement over 5000 rpm. Any turbo would suffer from this engine related problem, although a larger compressor would do a better job of covering the deficiency.

The 2.2 OTOH is a better air mover. Boost begins around 2500 rpm and continues to aid acceleration well after my shift point at 5500 ish rpm. It's plenty fun at 7psi, and if I ever feel the need to intercool it and increase boost, I'm sure it will be more fun.

-->Slow
Friday, April 01, 2005 4:06 PM
you will heat soak that T25 running 6 psi to it. the turbo simply does not provide enough cfm for your flow. even a DSM TD05 14b turbo is pushing it. your best bet is to look at something around a .49 a/r I would recommend a Garrett (Air Research) T3.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Friday, April 01, 2005 8:28 PM
It really depends on how much hp you want to make. I think it would be a great turbo to use if you don't plan to make more than 200whp tops.

For those who don't know there is a pretty nice turbo kit for the 2.2 that uses a T25 mated to a cast manifold, check this link. http://www.turbokits.com/cavalier_turbo_kits.html

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, April 01, 2005 8:47 PM
Does a T28 use the same flange as a T25? If so, may be a nice compromise between the T25 and a T3....

Mark P.
Saturday, April 02, 2005 4:28 AM
JBodyPerformance's LN2 kit uses T25 setup. Maybe they would sell you a manifold?

Does it go faster?
Saturday, April 02, 2005 11:08 AM
Quote:

Does a T28 use the same flange as a T25?

no, a t28 is much larger than a t-25. Different turbo different flange.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Saturday, April 02, 2005 1:42 PM
most J-body turbo manifolds use a standard T3 flange... which will bolt up to of course T3's, T3/04e (larger turbo) and the Mitsu series 14b, 16g etc

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:28 AM
so the t3, and 14b, and 16g have the same flange????
if so i may just buy a manifold with that flange.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:41 AM
lowandslow2.2 (the slow one) wrote:so the t3, and 14b, and 16g have the same flange????
if so i may just buy a manifold with that flange.

No, absolutely not, they are completely different, I can attest to that, since I had a 14b/16g turbo manifold at one time, and it is NOTHING like the T3.

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Thursday, April 07, 2005 6:51 AM
Quote:

your best bet is to look at something around a .49 a/r

The T25 is a .49 A/R.

A small turbo can be .49 A/R
A big turbo can be .49 A/R
The area/ radius ratio does not determine turbo size. It helps describe flow characteristics.

Quote:

you will heat soak that T25 running 6 psi to it. the turbo simply does not provide enough cfm for your flow.

Again, incorrect.

-->Slow
Thursday, April 07, 2005 2:39 PM
you will heat soak a T25 running 6 psi?!?! haha then why would they make the damn turbo if couldn't put out 6psi effectively, so many people on here bash the smaller T25, T28, and the 14b, yeah they are small turboes but for low boost, they work fine.

Thursday, April 07, 2005 4:44 PM
actually a T25 is actually pretty damn small, i was thinking about a 14b, yeah i wouldn't use a T25

Thursday, April 07, 2005 5:31 PM
A T25 is a stock turbo for 2nd DSM's on the 4G63 motor. The 4G63 is a 2.0L that makes 210hp stock that revs to 7,200 rpm and is a excellent flowing motor. With mods on the stock turbo it is pretty common to make up to 250.

With all that info in mind i'll go ahead and say it is a great turbo for a 2.2 ohv to use to make 200hp.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Friday, April 08, 2005 7:18 AM
um yea, whoever says you cant make any boost good enough for power. I say F u. I forgot to mention that i know this turbo can make boost. When it was on the tsi awd we turned it up to 25 PSI ! It did it but the whole exhaust system turned red. So i think it could handle 6-10 psi easily. The turbo came stock set at 18 psi for normal driving so i dont see a problem. I just simply wanted to know if it would fit.

Sunday, April 10, 2005 11:17 PM
Bastardking3000 wrote:
Quote:

I think u would be the first.
While I'm unsure, I think I read about someone here using a t25. But I KNOW he wouldn't be the first to put a t25 on a J-body. GM was. - The 2.0 SOHC was turbocharged by a t25 from the factory. I can't remember what year that was(it was only one year - second gen I believe).

Good call. Sorta. The 83ish-86 Sunbird 1.8 Turbo's had a T-2. It was only oil cooled, no water jackets.

The 87-90ish Sunbird 2.0 Turbo's were not only larger in displacment but had a T-25 that was water cooled.

So... Since the 87 was a first gen, you could get the 2.0 turbo t-25 engine in a first gen. But only that year. and it was availible for three(ish) years

Which is why I picked it

Monday, April 11, 2005 9:20 AM
im gonna turbo my saturn and make the cavy a show car with a little go due to motor issues( 2.2 ohv vs. 1.9 DOHC)

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search