Auto Turbo Questions - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto Turbo Questions
Monday, April 18, 2005 9:59 PM
I searched and didn't come up with the info i needed.

I noticed that with stageI turbos it says auto transmission can be used, but stageII is just for manual transmissons. What is the reason? I was thinking its the torque converter, but im really not sure. I would like to get a stageII turbo, but i need to know what needs to be done for it to work. Thanks in advance.

Re: Auto Turbo Questions
Monday, April 18, 2005 10:07 PM
What kit are you looking at?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:52 AM
i was looking at the stageII hahn kit
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 7:43 AM
I would assume that the charge pipes from the turbo to the intercooler to the throttle body may not hit the manual transmission since it is quite a bit smaller than the automatic transmission

Of course I could be wrong

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 8:23 AM
build your own kit, it'll be more compatible with your engine bay.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 9:25 AM
the big issue is, in fact, the torque converter. i have talked to Hahn about this in detail and apparently at anything other than 0 throttle or 100 throttle the slippage is enough to make it tear itself up. maybe if you got a stronger converter it might work but that is as of yet untested.

Spotabee Racing: how about instead of jumping in this post and telling people to make their own stuff you post something useful. if you cant then dont post at all.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:01 AM
thanks man, ill look into a better torque converter that can handel it, but does anyone know for sure if there is enough room in the engine bay
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:28 AM
The only difference between the stages is probably the fuel system and the power, not much more needs to go into it in regards to space. There is not much space at all in the auto cars as I'm learning.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 1:16 PM
^^^
Quote:

I would assume that the charge pipes from the turbo to the intercooler to the throttle body may not hit the manual transmission since it is quite a bit smaller than the automatic transmission

BINGO!

One reason why if i wanna use Mike Karas bad ass manifold like i am. I have to change trannies too. Plus im scared of the Auto taking a crap on me anyway.

Check Out My Domain Page!!!
Tuesday, April 19, 2005 4:47 PM
my post was useful. when you have piping made for your car, you don't have to worry about a companies R&D not quite fitting right. plus it costs less.

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 5:31 PM
^ ^ ^ i understand what you are saying, but im new to boost and i would rather be safe and buy the whole kit.

Anyways, i'm going to look for a torque converter that wont have the slippage and see if hahn can get a setup that will fit on an auto ecotec. Does anyone know of a torque caonvert that would work, or should i just search/post in the transmission forum?

Tuesday, April 19, 2005 11:42 PM
Seriously, I wouldn't be worried about the TC, many people have put a ton of power through the stock tc and its worked out just fine so far. Hahn has some odd research methods, they won't make a kit for the 2.4's because they think they are weak engines, but they'll make one for the 2200

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 5:01 AM
once again shifted beats me to the post. If you ask around you will find that auto's will actually hold more power better(stock for stock) although a new TC would be nice it's not needed at all just ask some auto boost members.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Wednesday, April 20, 2005 7:16 AM
Shifted wrote:Hahn has some odd research methods, they won't make a kit for the 2.4's because they think they are weak engines, but they'll make one for the 2200

wtf are they smoking?

Wednesday, April 20, 2005 9:57 AM
Shifted wrote:Seriously, I wouldn't be worried about the TC, many people have put a ton of power through the stock tc and its worked out just fine so far. Hahn has some odd research methods, they won't make a kit for the 2.4's because they think they are weak engines, but they'll make one for the 2200

Thats pretty much what i needed to know. So people have ran a full stage II on an auto with the stock TC.

But since the sites that sells them still asks for the transmission, is there any difference in the kit that is sold for a manual vs auto.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search