the sts turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
the sts turbo
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:39 AM
Has anyone been lucky enough to try the new STS turbo on the ecotec motor. I know that they offer the STS for the eco now because they had one tested on the new HHR and it was an awesome article in Motor Trend a couple of months back. It said that it gave about an extra 125 rwhp. Just wondering if anyone has heard anyhting else on this subject.

2003 Silver Cavalier 2.2L Ecotec!!!!

Re: the sts turbo
Tuesday, November 22, 2005 12:25 PM
I doubt it gave 125rwhp... that would involve a lot more than an sts turbo kit...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 2:36 PM
Shifted wrote:I doubt it gave 125rwhp... that would involve a lot more than an sts turbo kit...

I see alot of doubters when it comes to STS, but I have personally seen a similar turbo setup on a 2nd gen run low 13's on street tires. That's gotta be at least 125 extra whp.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 4:10 PM
Read what I and he wrote closer, I'm not doubting the gains, I'm doubting the location that the hp was gained...

Just a joke anyway

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 6:18 PM
Shifted wrote:I doubt it gave 125rwhp... that would involve a lot more than an sts turbo kit...

A rwd conversion.......?

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:24 PM
ratbag wrote:Has anyone been lucky enough to try the new STS turbo on the ecotec motor. I know that they offer the STS for the eco now because they had one tested on the new HHR and it was an awesome article in Motor Trend a couple of months back.

Sunfires rule! (Tom) wrote:

A rwd conversion.......?

the STS has always caught my eye, it is a very interesting concept, but don't know anyone who tried it yet

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 8:34 PM
my bad, i didn't search about HHR until after i posted, i thought they were rwd for some reason

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:47 PM
Quote:

This could work if there was no other option or if you had severe placement issues. But the sophistication of the turbo oil system alone makes me scared of this install. There are other minor issues with this setup that seem to compound the drawbacks of turbocharging in general. Usually, you want to reduce these issues, not sophisticate them.

The big two I would be most concerned with are the exhaust prior to the turbo and the greater complicated oiling system. With such long runs from the manifold to the turbo, the exhaust will have some time to cool off and efficiency will go down from there. They've tried to compensate by using small diameter piping prior to the turbo and a quick exhaust exit via the exhaust tip to maximize the pressure differential across the turbine. These things may or may not make up for it. Boost response will probably be less than ideal as well, with such complex charge piping. But those are the kinds of things I'd be thinking about before attempting this.

My opinion from another post..

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 10:53 PM
Nitro that guys best time is a 12.59 on street tires, amazing. 13 psi and methanol injection. I for one wouldnt doubt this

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, November 22, 2005 11:01 PM
I saw that one too.. but still.. remote mounting a turbo does not by itself increase its power potential by some mystical amount..

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 6:35 AM
the STS kits are amazing in design. At first I doubted their potential, but they really are something incredible. We have a local with a 96 Chevy S10... with an LS1 swap and an STS setup. Yes, it's tubbed. And no it will not drive on the street lol

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:11 PM
It works, no doubt...that's been proven. The biggest question may simply be...is it optimal, a superior solution?

Bill Hahn Jr.
Hahn RaceCraft

World's Quickest and Fastest Street J-Bodies
Turbocharging GM FWD's since 1988
www.turbosystem.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2005 7:18 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:Nitro that guys best time is a 12.59 on street tires, amazing. 13 psi and methanol injection. I for one wouldnt doubt this

I know, but I was just saying what I have personally seen, since "I heard about" doesn't go over too well. I know you have personally seen him run mid 12's though. I remember the phone call, lol.

Friday, November 25, 2005 8:58 AM
I have considered this as well . But here is my delima. How would this system perform on a 2.4 with higher than stock comp ratio... Would one have to run a different
sized turbo?
Friday, November 25, 2005 9:09 AM
go to there site and read on there setup. sts is out of utah and i have personaly talked to the guy in his show about building a mandrel exhaust on my freinds eco.. this stuff realy works! it just seems retarded but it is super effective

r.i.p rotary
Friday, November 25, 2005 9:20 AM
there is no way that one of these setups is more efficient than a conventional turbo. and have you noticed that the majority of their products is desinged for big v8s. that's becasue when the turrbo is that far away from the manifold you're going to need a hell of alot of exhaust pressure to spool the turbo. i don't think a 4 banger would do that all that well...just my opinion..

Lui
Friday, November 25, 2005 3:04 PM
Zcrewylui wrote:there is no way that one of these setups is more efficient than a conventional turbo. and have you noticed that the majority of their products is desinged for big v8s. that's becasue when the turrbo is that far away from the manifold you're going to need a hell of alot of exhaust pressure to spool the turbo. i don't think a 4 banger would do that all that well...just my opinion..

the way I see it, only a bored and stroked large four cyl (such as maybe an HO) would put out enough exhaust to spool a turbo that far back, and even then it'd have to be a smaller trim turbo, which by the time that exhaust makes it to the combustion chambers (which there is no intercooler btw), how much boost you think you'll end up seeing?

Friday, November 25, 2005 3:23 PM
^^^true, true.... I've only seen them on cars like camaro's and trucks... but you think about it the air filter is back there as well... I would be afraid of hydrolock for sure.

**changes are here**

Friday, November 25, 2005 4:42 PM
http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/f/Press/stshcis.pdf read this it will help to understand
its a adobe file just read through

r.i.p rotary
Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:43 PM
that guy with the second gen sees 14 psi at his turbo and 13 at his tb

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Sunday, November 27, 2005 1:47 AM
In the article they talk about a significant temperature drop from the turbo the throttle body and how this acts like a natural intercooler. Ok, but what about the temperature drop from the engine to the turbine? Turbos run off heat and pressure. Making the pre-turbo piping as long as possible allows that hot exhaust gas to cool off, robbing you of boost creating energy. Like I said before, they are well aware of this fact and have compensated by using small diameter piping to keep up the velocity of the pre-turbo gases. So it seems to be a well designed system with all the drawbacks clearly in mind (dont expect them to admit it or the kiddie car mags to report on it though).

So all in all while the system works and seems well designed, it is not more efficient than a conventional intercooled turbo system with equal quality and engineering. Of course ease of install is a big factor for the STS camp, but i don't much care for the oiling system, despite its sophistication. I also don't like the pictures I've seen of the turbo open to water/snow splashes which will easily destroy the turbo housings. Is it suppose to be open like that or is there a splash shield of any kind? What are the prices on these kits anyway? Just some thoughts at 4:50am.

Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:49 AM
The only STS cars we have in KC are all cars that don't see anything but perfect conditions. You have to remember, the STS kits most frequently go on LS1 cars. 6 psi + 11.5:1 compression... that's 450 hp right there. You don't drive that in rain or snow lol

Sunday, November 27, 2005 6:14 PM
^ When we're considering the kit for our cars, it doesn't make much sense to defend the system because its normally installed on cars that won't see rain/snow. A lot of turbo j-bodies will...

Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:23 PM
Excidium wrote:^ When we're considering the kit for our cars, it doesn't make much sense to defend the system because its normally installed on cars that won't see rain/snow. A lot of turbo j-bodies will...

You got it. Plus our motors don't put out enough CFM to make any power with a remote mount turbo seutp anyways

Sunday, November 27, 2005 9:50 PM
I agree with you guys, Iw as just stating it can be done and it does work

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search