sts rear mount turbo kit - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
sts rear mount turbo kit
Monday, December 05, 2005 3:48 PM
i believe that sts turbos makes a universal kit that can be fabricated to fit anything within reason. has anyone tried on of these???? i saw their kit on a integra and it was making over 300 hp at the wheels. any info would be helpful.

thanks,

dtownsunfire

Re: sts rear mount turbo kit
Monday, December 05, 2005 4:11 PM
Didn't Darkside or some other tuner shop do one on a HHR? I saw something on Speed Channel where they put a turbo kit on an HHR Ecotec but it was back at the tail pipe and then the charge pipe ran all the way up under to the car to the motor. Seems like you'd lose a lot of pressure that way unless you spun like 18psi to keep it at a decent level when it hits the intake. Kind of a strange way to do things.

"Silly cluth, glazing is for donuts!"
Monday, December 05, 2005 4:14 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=93995&t=93450#93995

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, December 05, 2005 4:31 PM
Ronin wrote:Didn't Darkside or some other tuner shop do one on a HHR? I saw something on Speed Channel where they put a turbo kit on an HHR Ecotec but it was back at the tail pipe and then the charge pipe ran all the way up under to the car to the motor. Seems like you'd lose a lot of pressure that way unless you spun like 18psi to keep it at a decent level when it hits the intake. Kind of a strange way to do things.

it's usually a 1-2 psi loss, not much at all if done right, still not better then the conventional way by any means

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, December 05, 2005 4:37 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:
Ronin wrote:Didn't Darkside or some other tuner shop do one on a HHR? I saw something on Speed Channel where they put a turbo kit on an HHR Ecotec but it was back at the tail pipe and then the charge pipe ran all the way up under to the car to the motor. Seems like you'd lose a lot of pressure that way unless you spun like 18psi to keep it at a decent level when it hits the intake. Kind of a strange way to do things.

it's usually a 1-2 psi loss, not much at all if done right, still not better then the conventional way by any means

Interesting. So, just for morbid curiosity and the love of ignorance in all its bliss, why the h3l7 would anyone want to put a turbo under the rear of the car? I'd be worried about bottoming out and messing it up or something. I asaked one of my friends here about it a minute ago and they're reasoning was sleeper value when someone looked under the hood but, hey, there's a turbo attached to your tailpipe. How is that sneaky? Still think it's a cool idea in its weird, demented way.

Monday, December 05, 2005 5:10 PM
Ronin wrote:Interesting. So, just for morbid curiosity and the love of ignorance in all its bliss, why the h3l7 would anyone want to put a turbo under the rear of the car? I'd be worried about bottoming out and messing it up or something. I asaked one of my friends here about it a minute ago and they're reasoning was sleeper value when someone looked under the hood but, hey, there's a turbo attached to your tailpipe. How is that sneaky? Still think it's a cool idea in its weird, demented way.
I'm planning one for my Audi due to not having any room under the hood. I assume that's why most people do it...

fortune cookie say:
better a delay than a disaster.
Monday, December 05, 2005 5:46 PM
Huh. I guess that makes sense if space is tight. So by running the charge pipe from all the way at the back of the car does that eliminate the need of an intercooler? The more I think about it the more interested I become. Not sure why but what the hey.

Monday, December 05, 2005 6:36 PM
between how much cooler the housings of the turbo stay (use an infrared temp gun and take the temp of the header/manifold, then take the temp of the tailpipe), and how far the air has to travel to get back to the TB, for the most part it has an intercooling effect and for low boost you don't need an intercooler. There's not really a whole lot of info out there as to actual real-world temperature changes between the turbo and the TB, so to be sure you'd have to get someone with the kit to install temp probes and run a few logs.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Monday, December 05, 2005 9:59 PM
I don't see how a remote turbo seutp could gain anything on a four cylinder vehicle. It's physics.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.
Monday, December 05, 2005 10:04 PM
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:I don't see how a remote turbo seutp could gain anything on a four cylinder vehicle. It's physics.

I am running a rear mounted turbo and I put down 205 whp and 240 tq on 8 psi... it really works!!!

rear of my head

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Monday, December 05, 2005 10:23 PM
QBE (73H 800573D 0N3) wrote:
Spotabee Racing (The Fake Z24) wrote:I don't see how a remote turbo seutp could gain anything on a four cylinder vehicle. It's physics.

I am running a rear mounted turbo and I put down 205 whp and 240 tq on 8 psi... it really works!!!

rear of my head

stfu noob. lol j/k. that doesn't count.

I was a retard, and now I'm permanently banned.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 3:57 AM
noob! oh it's on! lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:25 AM
A rear mounted turbo just isn't practical unless you have it hiding in your trunk. lol!

"Sig under construction"
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:04 AM

please explain those physics to me

2006 Black Cobalt SS Supercharged G85
13.91@102.77
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:08 AM
yes, please explain those "physics".....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
- Sold my beloved J in April 2010 -
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:52 AM

i don't think for the amount of hp that most j-owners shoot for, that a traditional turbo setup is really all that much more efficient than a remote mount. Now, if you're trying to get ridiculous numbers out of a remote mount on a 4 cyl, sure, its not likely to happen because you'd need a turbo thats so big that being all the way to the back of the exhaust stream would make it incredibly difficult to spool. But, for 200-250 hp? I don't see any problems with it. Lag may be increased somewhat but as much as people argue that the turbo needs heat to spool, and are right to some degree, heat isn't the biggest force driving the turbo. Its pressure differential. Heat does obviously help make more pressure but lets remember that there's at least 2200 cc's of air and fuel going through the engine at WOT every 4 rpms. Add boost to the intake side and that means more exhaust coming out too.

Try standing behind a car on the dyno, about 6 feet back from the exhaust tip. There's actually a lot of flow back there.

Now, could you run a monster turbo back there with any kind of responsiveness? Most likely not. But none of you are engineers, nor am I, so to sit back with less than half of a true understanding as to how the physics of a setup like this works, its pretty arrogant to assume that it doesn't based on what you "know".

The simple fact is that I'm sure plenty of people said it wouldn't work on the V8's when STS started experimenting, and now there are cars running 10's and 11's with their setups on otherwise stock engines. Until someone actually goes out and tries one of these setups on the eco, OHV, or 2.4, we won't really know how well they work or not. Or at least until STS dyno's one of their honda kits so we can get an idea of the powerband. I'd be willing to bet a GT28R or RS in remote mount could probably be very competitive with a traditionally mounted T3/T4 for spool.

The main reason I could see for a kit like this is that people like me, who have a basic understanding of how to weld, and are cheap bastards, can fab one of these setups without having to weld a mani up. Sure there's plenty of manifolds available for J's but on 4 cyl. cars that don't have them available this would be a lot cheaper and easier than having someone fab a mani for you.

Sure there's advantages and disadvantages, but I love seeing how people who are in there late teens to mid 20's or so can sit back and go on about how this won't work like they've been around long enough to know everything. I have my doubts about this on a 4 cyl but I'm not going to say that it won't work well, I just wait and see.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 2:33 PM
The basic physics were explained in the other post about the STS kit. If you know how turbos work, or rather, how turbines produce work, you'd know that heat plays a very important role into how much work can be done. Simply, the power produced by a turbine is the mass flow multiplied by the change in enthalpy. So if the exhaust gas entering the turbine has cooled off, you're losing the potential for the turbine to do work. The STS certainly does this to the greatest possible extent.

If you don't want the turbo under the hood, I would suggest that you mount it as close to the engine as possible. Maybe somewhere along the exhaust path, but the idea is to get the hottest possible exhaust gases for highest efficiency and fastest spool and any other factor related to the turbine working efficiently. You shouldn't simply decide to mount it at the muffler -- there are more options if you want to go under the car. Obviously a well designed splash shield would be needed if you're going to drive in the rain/snow.

This is not to say that the system doesn't work. All this says is it is most definitely less efficient than the conventional placement.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 8:05 PM
Like I said the heat does have an effect, but the other thing is that at WOT the exhaust gas even at the rear of exhaust system is still VERY hot... as hot as the exhaust gas straight out of the header? of course not... but there is another cheap solution to that.... ceramic coat/thermal wrap, or some other form of insulation for the exhaust piping. What needs to be kept in mind is that at a couple thousand RPM, its not going to take long for the exhaust to get from the ports to the tip, provided the system doesn't have an excessive amount of bands, and in the split second it takes to get there, it can only cool so much. Naturally without someone mounting an EGT gauge at multiple locations in the exhaust stream we can't be sure exactly how much cooling effect there is or isn't.

So everyone is correct when they say that its not IDEAL... but then again a lot of those saying it isn't ideal have less than ideal setups themselves....

I think it would be a fun project for someone who wants their setup to be a little more sleeper (if the piping is mounted cleverly, it could be disguised as a cold air intake). Overall I think that someone who knows how to weld could make this for themselves for a bit cheaper than a conventional turbo setup, considering how certain expenses will balance out (ie: stock exhaust back to the turbo eliminates the need for a catback, which cancels the "added" expense of a little more charge piping), and others will be eliminated (intercooler). Just some thoughts, take em for what they're worth.

Arrival Blue 04 LS Sport
Eco
Turbo
Megasquirt
'Nuff said
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 9:27 PM
Excidium, one of the critical things you are leaving out of your analysis in this thread and the other is pressure. I'll let the STS FAQ explain everything. It's already widely known that front mount turbo systems are more efficient than remote mount. Big friggin deal. Maximum efficiency was never the point of this type of system. The points I see behind the system are:

• Lower under hood temps
  • Less chance of an oil line fire (again, less heat)
  • Stealth look
  • Crazy cool turbocharger exhaust sound (check out the vids on STS' website)
  • No need for a turbo timer (since turbocharger temps are waaay less than under hood)
  • Efficiency through charge piping (less of a need for an intercooler)
  • Easier to install (less of a confined area to work in)
  • It's unique!!!!

All of the questions in this thread and more have been answered by STS in their FAQ:

If water hits the hot turbo, will it crack?
Seems like it might when you first think about it, however, when I asked the Garrett engineers this questions they just laughed. There is a big difference in water splashing on a hot turbo and submerging it in enough water and fast enough to really cool it down fast. Both the new turbocharged Vette systems and the new Porsche systems sit the turbo down low and exposed to water and anything else that goes under a car.
Plus, our turbos just don't get that hot and when weather conditions are such that there is a lot of water around, you can't push enough boost to get the turbo hot anyway because you'd just spin the tires.

Doesn't heat create the velocity in the exhaust gasses to spool the turbo?
No, heat doesn't create velocity. Heat creates volume. If you look at any of the physics laws for gasses, you will find that pressure and volume and heat are related. PV=NRT is a popular one, The V isn't for velocity, it is for Volume.
The turbine housing is what creates the velocity. The scrolling design that reduces the volume of the exhaust chamber as it scrolls around causes the gasses to have to increase in velocity and pressure to maintain the same flow rate.

Hotter gasses have more volume, thus requiring a higher A/R which in effect means that it starts at say 3" and scrolls down to approximately 1". Lower temperature gasses are denser and have less volume, so they require a lower A/R housing which would start at the same 3" volume, as the turbine housings use standard flanges, and scroll down to say 3/4".

Now if you were to reverse the housings in application, the conventional turbo would spool up extremely quick, at say around 1500 rpm but would cause too much backpressure at higher rpms because the higher volume of gas couldn't squeeze through the 3/4" hole without requiring a lot of pressure to force it through. On the reverse side, the remote mounted turbo with its cooler denser gasses, wouldn't spool up till say around 4000 rpms but once spooled up would make efficient power because it doesn't require hardly any backpressure to push the lower volume of gas through the larger 1" hole.

Isn't there a huge pressure drop with such long intake tubes?
No, if the pipes were 100' long there would be but we are only talking a few extra feet and we size the charge air tubing so that it will flow without a large pressure drop. We typically will get about 1/4 to 3/4 lb difference between the turbo compressor and the intake manifold, which is nothing compared to the pressure drop across an intercooler. With high boost applications, these numbers will increase slightly.

Don't turbos have to be really hot to work properly?
Putting a torch to your turbo and getting it hot doesn't produce boost. What produces boost is airflow across the turbine which causes the turbine to spin. If turbochargers required very high temperatures to produce boost, Diesel trucks and Methanol Race cars wouldn't be able to run turbos. However, each of these "Low Exhaust Temperature" vehicles work very well with turbochargers when, like any turbo application, the turbocharger is sized correctly.
In a conventional, exhaust manifold mounted turbocharger system, the extra heat causes the air molecules to separate and the gas becomes "thinner" because of the extra space between the molecules. This extra space increases the volume of air but doesn't increase the mass of the air. Because the volume is higher, the velocity of the gas has to be higher to get it out in the same amount of time.

By mounting the turbo further downstream, the gasses do lose heat energy and velocity, however, there is just as much mass (the amount of air) coming out of the tailpipe as there is coming out of the heads. So you are driving the turbine with a "denser" gas charge. The same number of molecules per second are striking the turbine and flowing across the turbine at 1200F as there is at 1700F.

Front mounted turbos typically run an A/R ratio turbine housing about 2 sizes larger because the velocity is already in the gasses and the volume is so big that the turbine housing must be larger to not cause a major restriction in the exhaust system which would cause more backpressure. With the remote mounted turbo, the gasses have condensed and the volume is less, so a smaller A/R ratio turbine housing can be used which increases the velocity of the gasses while not causing any extra backpressure because the gas volume is smaller and denser.

Sizing is everything with turbos. There is more to sizing a turbo for an application than cubic inches, Volumetric Efficiency, and RPM ranges. A turbo must also be sized for the exhaust temperatures. A turbine housing sized for 1700F gasses would have lag if the gasses were 1200F. This is why turbo cars have lag when they are cold and not warmed up yet. Both systems work well if sized correctly.

Shamelessly jacked from STS: http://www.ststurbo.com/f_a_q
Tuesday, December 06, 2005 11:15 PM
Don't know why everyone is so defensive about this STS kit. I'm not trying to say its not a good kit, its just imo it has no place on a car that can possibly mount the turbo close to the exhaust ports (which has added benefits, not just maximumizing exhaust heat). Running through the dynamic laws and taking how work is done in a turbine, one can quickly see the problem.

Sure you can reach your power goals with the STS kit. However, like I said, it will not be the most efficient way.

Quote:

Naturally without someone mounting an EGT gauge at multiple locations in the exhaust stream we can't be sure exactly how much cooling effect there is or isn't.

Well of course. But the funny thing is STS mentions the huge temperature drop and intercooling effect the long pipe run has on the charge piping. Do you think this effect will not happen with the exhaust? Or be of lesser degree?

Quote:

Big friggin deal. Maximum efficiency was never the point of this type of system. !!!

Well thats all I'm saying and it's all I've ever said. And I think everyone understands the benefits of remote mounting. I've never disputing any of those benefits.

Quote:

Excidium, one of the critical things you are leaving out of your analysis in this thread and the other is pressure.

Actually I'm not. I'm not making this stuff up either. If you would please crack a GOOD turbo or turbine book you would know that the work produced by a turbine IS the mass flow multiplied by the change in enthalpy. This is just what it is. There are no ands or buts about it. It is fact.

H = U + pV

H = enthalpy
U = internal energy
p = pressure
V = volume

Quote:

So everyone is correct when they say that its not IDEAL... but then again a lot of those saying it isn't ideal have less than ideal setups themselves....

There is no "ideal". The best you can do is maximize efficiencies where ever possible and attempt to get as close as you can to "ideal".

Quote:

Plus, our turbos just don't get that hot and when weather conditions are such that there is a lot of water around, you can't push enough boost to get the turbo hot anyway because you'd just spin the tires.

The turbo will obviously be extremely "hot". Now who really knows in the rain or snow if the housing will crack, but it must be common sense to think that you don't want rain water, or mist from the car in front of you, contacting your turbocharger.

Quote:

you can't push enough boost to get the turbo hot anyway because you'd just spin the tires.

Ridiculous. You don't need boost to make the turbo very hot. Also at higher speeds and higher gears you will not be breaking the tires loose.

Quote:

What produces boost is airflow across the turbine which causes the turbine to spin.

Like I said, mass flow multiplied by change in enthalpy. This is an incomplete statement. It's true, but in a sense, it's only half of the truth. See the definition of enthalpy.

Quote:

If turbochargers required very high temperatures to produce boost, Diesel trucks and Methanol Race cars wouldn't be able to run turbos.

Misleading statement. These engines generally have lower exhaust temperatures but higher mass flow. See the definition of enthalpy. Do they know how turbines work I wonder?

Quote:

By mounting the turbo further downstream, the gasses do lose heat energy and velocity, however, there is just as much mass (the amount of air) coming out of the tailpipe as there is coming out of the heads. So you are driving the turbine with a "denser" gas charge. The same number of molecules per second are striking the turbine and flowing across the turbine at 1200F as there is at 1700F.

I guess they don't. Mass flow is only one part of the equation. The lower temperature exhaust gas will do less work.

Quote:

A turbo must also be sized for the exhaust temperatures. A turbine housing sized for 1700F gasses would have lag if the gasses were 1200F.

Another half truth, only partly correct. It's more than just temperature (heat). See enthalpy definition.

Another question, why do people blindly believe company claims just because they have tested their setup on expensive sports cars? Anyone here ever heard of the e-ram? Yea, Mark Kibort, that guy. Having a firm understanding of thermodynamics, he could argue for years about why his electric supercharger worked perfectly, and as a result many people believed him. The point is, I guess the best you can do is learn the basic concepts and try to decide for yourself. But don't believe everything a company says. Hell, don't believe me. Look it up for YOURSELF and then decide.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:20 AM
the bottom line is, having the turbo so far back kills the thermal efficiency of the exhaust gas, thus slowing spool,

the rear mount will nesessitate a scavenge pump for the oil return.
the long charge piping will create even more lag on top of that caused by the loss of thermal efficiency of the exhaust gas.

running a filter setup will be difficult. and be prepared top clean it like every other day.
turbo will swing on rubber hangers,

god the list goes on. there is really no reason to ever do this to your car.

the parts neededto make it work, are more expensive, the oil return system is a hassle, and if it fails, your turbo is junk.

i have not yet seen a oil line catch on fire, ever. have you?

i honestly do not see any reason why nyone should do this, if a conventional setup is doable.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:49 AM
water does cause metal to crack. extreme temperature changes do. cooling something off very much, very fast can cause it to crack.

a turbo mounted under a hood can get wet as well. and one mounted in the rear wouldnt be as nearly as hot as one under the hood fo two reasons: 1. exhaust gases cool by the time they reach teh back of teh car ( do you know why though? its because of reason 2.) reason 2 is that there is a steady stream of air rushing under a moving car, and very little air movement under a hood.

and if your gonna keep mentioning enthalpy.... you could atleast post the definition.
Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:45 AM
I don't really see the controversy here...

It does work, there is undeniable proof.

Is it best? Who cares? On the whole, 90% of the stuff done on this site isn't either.

Worst of all, all of the detractors in this thread will never, and wouldn't ever, and lack the true ability to even think about doing it themselves anyway. So their opinion is only misinformed.

Oh and "Physics"??????

sig not found
Thursday, July 13, 2006 8:14 AM
protomec wrote:Oh and "Physics"??????

Yup that one made me laugh too...

I can't wait to take my fluid/thermo courses in school so I can start arguing with some background knowledge, its way more fun

But then again, its just physics.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:10 AM
the best part of a rear mount turbo , you can keep your headers and exhaust intact

i dont think anyone would be stupid enough(yeah i know alot around here) to put the turbo low enough to get damaged , when there is enough room on the J's to keep up and hidden

and if your worried about water splashing on it , make a shield to keep it from getting splashed

its not rocket science

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search