GM SC replacement belt question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
GM SC replacement belt question
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:45 PM
Hi friends. I am looking for a spare or replacement belt for my recently installed GM supercharger. After some research here in the org and in other related sites I have found some info that I want to share with you and also look for some comments or ideas about a doubt.

Ok as many of you know, the stock belt that comes with the GMPP SC kit is a Goodyear Gatorback belt #88960481 and have a price of more or less $100. In fact it is nothing more that an original Gatorback belt #4100729 (72.9") (metric No. 10PK1851 --> 1851mm) cutted by half.

Ok looking for cheaper option than a $100 belt my option are:
1.- Goodyear Gatorback #4050722 (72.25") (metric No. 5PK1835 --> 1835mm). I have read many people using it with good success. The issue is that is a belt 15mm (0.6") shorter than the OEM one and in the way that is routed over the SC, I think that is causing some undesirable stress over the belt tensioner. Check me if I am wrong friends.
2.- Another option, will be a Gates V-Ribbed belt #K050720 (metric No. 5PK1845 --> 1845mm) that is only 5mm (0.2") shorter than the OEM one. This could be the best option, but I don't have any reference from people using it. In fact I have read around some SC articles and sites that the Gatorback belts are better for SCs, that is what I have read.
3.- Finally, the last option could be buy an standard Goodyear Gatorback #4100729 and cut it by half, but how easy is to cut it? what could be used to cut it? Ideas will be welcome.

Then I ask about comments and suggestions about these options, because none of the three belt options (codes or that long belts) are available or easy findable in my country.

As usual friends, I appreciatte your valuable help.

Thanks and happy new year.

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Re: GM SC replacement belt question
Tuesday, January 03, 2006 5:50 PM
Quote:

Finally, the last option could be buy an standard Goodyear Gatorback #4100729 and cut it by half, but how easy is to cut it? what could be used to cut it? Ideas will be welcome.

That's what I did, I had Autozone order it, picked it up, and used a straight-edge razor blade to cut it in half starting in the middle of the inside (ribs provide a nice easy line to start with). I started it, put it in the middle, then used my index finger on one side and the middle finger on the other and kept going around. I do have the other half somewhere in the garage.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:01 PM
good info.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 6:55 PM
the smaller belts work better with the smaller pullies

im still using the belt that came with my proto type s/c , but i really need to get a smaller belt for when i get a smaller pulley

good info , hope someone can give you more info

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 9:49 PM
so would his 1st option be good for the 2.6" pulley???

2000 Camaro V6.
| SLP Loudmouth | CAI Intake | HID's |

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 5:54 AM
im using the stock belt ( size, i cut the gattorback with a shears, ) but i got a replacment idler pulley, with the 2.5" pulley the tenshoners tighter than with the stock stuf on it.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 6:09 AM
^ Where did you get the replacement idler from? and its bigger im assuming? Thanks

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:03 AM
i went to a bearing suply store... i just broght my old one in and we matched one up that is like 4\10's biger.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Thursday, January 05, 2006 3:16 PM
Ok, then seems to me that the most common option for the stock belt is buy a #4100729 and cut it by half (option #3). Any of you have any comments about option #1 (#4050722 belt)?

And Taetsch Z24, good info about replacement idler.

Thanks,

ELIOT. Now.....boosted.

Thursday, January 05, 2006 5:32 PM
did the bearing supply store actually have a pulley that fit and didnt need to machined to fit properly ??

im still tossed what im gonna do for a belt , but i do need more boost

Friday, January 06, 2006 5:08 AM
ya.... its alittle narower than the hub\ pulley that GM uses but im just using a bearing... i like it.
caust like 40 bucks.
Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged

Friday, January 06, 2006 9:21 AM
any chance you wanna make 5bucks , and get me 1 of them

i dont know of any bearing places here ,

Thursday, January 12, 2006 6:50 PM
I brought this post back to life lol......

I'm pickin up one of those Gates belts that are .2" smaller than our stock one that comes w/ the supercharger....I'll be getting it tomorrow hopefully so I'll update you all to see if its any good.

Car is for Sale!Supercharger kit is for sale!
Thursday, January 12, 2006 7:18 PM
I have the 2.7 pulley on now and am moving up to the 2.6. Would the #2 option be better for me, or am I okay with the gator belt. I got the 22$ one and cut in half, I keep the other half in the trunk in case anything happens on the road.

http://members.cardomain.com/vertz24 1998 Z24 Convertible
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search