Big problem- turbo is smoking-turbo expert needed - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Big problem- turbo is smoking-turbo expert needed
Monday, June 26, 2006 4:13 AM
First off let me just explain what I have
2003 ecotec engine with a 5 speed inside a 2002 cavalier
garret t25/t28

Ok here is the problem
I just got my car out the shop. it turns on and drives without the O2 SENSOR, INTAKE SENSOR and that 3rd sensor that use to be on the exhuast pipping

My check engine light is on though
but thats not my concern right now

My main concern is my car is eating up oil like no tomorrow. White smoke is coming from the turbo and the exhuast in thick clouds (And no i don't think i blew my head gasket because it started smoking at idel)

I took notice that my oil return is facing up and my oil feed is coming from the bottom so I think my problem is the oil isn't getting returned because of gravity

So my question is am i going to be albe to just rotate the middle of the turbo 180 degrees with out rotation of the compressor or the housing

Also i nothices my car isn't bossting right

right when i starting driving it i would get a little boost but then it wouldn't get any I think since the oil is staying inside the turbo it's not letting the fins spin as quick as they should.What do you guys think?

On another note it's a ball bearing turbo with collant lines that aren't even ran. I was told by the shop i wouldn't need the coolant since I'm not boosting 15psi. Whats your take on that.

Ok i just got my car out the shop but it's smoking and smoking a thick white cloud from the turbo and the ehuast.

Re: Big problem- turbo is smoking-turbo expert nee
Monday, June 26, 2006 7:08 AM
coolant lines, they are correct... but never go there again if they put the return upside-down (after you make them fix it)!!!!!!

Please do post a picture of that though. I just want to see it.

That is deffinately the problem. DO NOT DRIVE IT unless you have to or else you wont be able to save those bearings in the turbo. Chances are they are already shot.

Fix the feed/return problem and hopefully that will fix the boosting mess. You should be able to MAKE the shop re-clock the turbo since they seriously messed up and shouldn't have touched it if they didn't know what they were doing.

Cardomain|Myspace

Monday, June 26, 2006 9:18 AM
SO your saying that the return is coming out the top? How the hell did they plum the drain? a 180 degree bend down to the girdle or oil pan???

Returning the car back to the shop is is a horror show waiting to happen for the shop... Hope they know that they will be buying a new BB center section (not cheap!! ) since the tech who reassebmled it upside down has certainly caused the oil seals to fail, dumping oil into the exhaust which is causing your smokeshow...

Wow... Pix please.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Thursday, June 29, 2006 4:23 AM
Pictures please?

(I thought I'd try asking nicely this time)

Cardomain|Myspace

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:28 AM
oil feed must be on top, oil return is gravity feed, you are looking for some major turbo if you don't fix it now, DO NOT DRIVE IT, and yes you can clock the turbo by simply just loosening the bolt and spinning the center section, super easy and nothing needs to be taken apart.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:58 PM
were you the one that installed the turbo?

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search