Greddy Type RS Fluttering - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Greddy Type RS Fluttering
Monday, August 21, 2006 8:27 PM
I'll keep this simple...

When I go into boost the boost gauge is dead still on the whatever boost i have it set to... so i dont think i have a boost leak... My idle is perfect (14.7 - 15.1 a/f's)... and when i pull the vaccum line off of the BOV the car idles like crap... so I dont think its a vaccum leak....

When I go into boost and let off the gas it blows off pretty loud and I like the sound... but, afterwards it flutters like crazy and if i keep the vaccum just before boost, like at -3 vaccum, it continues to flutter for as long as i want to hold the vaccum there...

I have adjusted the screw up on top from all the way tight to all the way loose and no change.... i am running 10psi

any thoughts?

p.s. i have an auto...

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|

Re: Greddy Type RS Fluttering
Monday, August 21, 2006 8:33 PM
Isnt the Type RS a higher boost BOV? And if its working at full boost let off's i wouldnt really worry to much about it ...

Try re tightening it though ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, August 21, 2006 8:34 PM

Monday, August 21, 2006 8:53 PM
i know its not a huge problem, im in the process of tuning 15 psi and i only got one run in because hpt told me it started seeing knock so i stopped for now, picking back up tomorrow....cause it got dark!

it held boost perfectly on my 14psi pull, so im sure its not a boost leak anywhere...

right now its more tight then it is loose... i dont know, im starting to think its nothing, but when i first heard it, i thought i might have been right between boost and vaccum and it was switching back and forth real fast causing fluttering, but now that i paid attention to the boost gauge, im pretty far away from the line between boost and vaccum for that to be it...

any one else?

|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, August 21, 2006 10:31 PM
when you say "fluttering" are you refering to turbo surge? Thats when the BOV doesnt open, or doesnt open long enough and the boost pressure goes back into the turbo causing the wheel to suddenly spin backwards. If that is the case then your BOV is made for a higher boost application than what you have.

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:49 AM
I have it and mine goes off when im not in boost. You can hear my turbo start to spool up right before the 0 on my boost gauge and it blows off like crazy if i rev it high but dont go into boost and it also flutters like your talking about so dont worry about it.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:51 AM
Im not sure about what your flutter sound is but if it is compressor surge its a bad thing...

2007 GM Tuner Bash...HELL YEA
PA,MD,NJ,DE,NY and all states north caravan
Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:00 AM
Blue Splash wrote:I have it and mine goes off when im not in boost. You can hear my turbo start to spool up right before the 0 on my boost gauge and it blows off like crazy if i rev it high but dont go into boost and it also flutters like your talking about so dont worry about it.

nice to hear it is happening to others as well... i was hoping it was nothing.... i can get it to happen at part throttle boost only at low numbers (2psi boost), but i have to try to make it happen... in vaccum it happens whenever i am close to going into boost...

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:03 AM
Boardorgohome wrote:when you say "fluttering" are you refering to turbo surge? Thats when the BOV doesnt open, or doesnt open long enough and the boost pressure goes back into the turbo causing the wheel to suddenly spin backwards. If that is the case then your BOV is made for a higher boost application than what you have.

its actually the oppisite of that, it sounds like its opening up when it shouldnt.... but just slightly, so it sounds like it opens and closes reallly fast causing fluttering...

i can try to get a video of it later tonight so you can hear it

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:54 PM
I have a type RS too, the fluttering is just the valve blowing off the boosted air that is produced from the turbo even when it is not at full boost. If your not running the car hard or at full boost it will still sometimes flutter since its still spinning. It is normal and not a problem. You will notice it at low to no boost, which it sounds like its doing so no worries man.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 3:45 PM

thanks guys!! I guess i dont have to go and redo all of my vaccum lines after all

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 8:53 PM
I have the Greddy Type S instead of the RS. Like Blue Spalsh, mine will blow off pretty loud without even being in boost. The fluttering you hear is compressor surge. How far the valve opens all depends on how much the engine is revved before you let off the gas. It flutters on me once in a while too and sometimes, like you said yours does, it'll blow off cleanly and then flutter a bit. That just means that you revved it just enough for it to open sligtly and then it closed and surged the turbo. It's only a very light surge so you're not going to kill the turbo tomorrow, but just try to avoid it as much as you can and it'll be fine.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search