M62 Pullies - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
M62 Pullies
Thursday, September 28, 2006 7:55 PM
I want a smaller pulley for my M62.

What boost difference is there between the 3.0" and 3.1" pullies?

How small of a pulley can the 'stock' tensioner accomadate without slipping issues?

What would be a good fuel injector size to accomodate down to a 2.85" pulley?

What boost would be seen with a 2.85" pulley?

Is there an equation to figure this out?

Anyone dyno with a 3" or 2.85" pulley?

Re: M62 Pullies
Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:38 PM
generally for every .1 less its 1psi, if you go down too much in size a smaller belt works better

whats your stock pulley size

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Thursday, September 28, 2006 8:43 PM
3.34" is the stock pulley size

Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:04 PM
I have the pulley boys setup with the ZZ performace tensioner bracket.

I'm intercooled and with the stock pulley I saw 10 psi, the 3.0 13psi and the 2.8 15psi I'll forewarn you that the 2.8 is pushing it. I threw a rod at the St louis bash with the 2.8 pulley installed. 13.9@104.88 was my run prior to the rod snappage. The run where I snapped the rod was still a 13.9 coasting to 94mph at the finish. I'm not sure what size you can go down to without any belt slipping but most redline/cobalt users say 3.0 to 2.9 before they notice some slip.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:29 PM
Maybe I'll shut up and be happy with the 3.1" pulley.

But I know I'll want more power, so I can't decide if I should go ahead and invest in HPTuners and make the 2.9 or 3.0 work with larger injectors...

Is there a way to prevent slip, can I coat the pully in something?

Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:49 PM
3" pulley has no slippage whatsoever. If your worried about the pulley slipping you can buy the oversized tensioner pulley for 20 bux from Intense. Billetflow also makes pulleys that are grooved to supposedly prevent slipping as well. The stage 2 belt is also available from GM for about 40 bux and that seems to be fine down to 2.8" other then youd have to cut off a rib. Lots of options... Surf the cobalt or redline forums all the info is there.

Check out my car....
http://members.cardomain.com/o4blackfire
Friday, September 29, 2006 3:20 AM
Unless you intend on buying a new ECU you can't invest in HP tuners, they have do not support the eco reflash. The inherent flaw with that program is that the ECU and BCM will then have different VIN and that will create a whole different level of problems.

With the Eco reflash the 3.0 shouldn't be a problem with the injectors you have, beyond that it getsreally expensoive in a huryy.

(Airtonics isn't using the eco reflash he had a standalone when he used the 2.8)

Friday, September 29, 2006 4:11 AM
Marchi1 wrote:With the Eco reflash the 3.0 shouldn't be a problem with the injectors you have, beyond that it getsreally expensoive in a huryy.

So you can drop to the 3.0 and not change anything? I always wanted to ask that question! I run rich now anyway so I would think when GM developed the reflash they tuned it pretty rich to save the engine.

With the smaller pulley...up the boost to 13psi and you'd have a nice A/Fs huh?

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?
Friday, September 29, 2006 4:51 AM
I will tell you for sure as soon as I can confirm. But it make sense, the TMAP is a 2 bar, and GM has a very conservative tune. Looking at the stage 1 and stage 2 kits for the cobalt there is no computer reflash associated with them (if I remember correctly)

Friday, September 29, 2006 5:05 AM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=64&i=5863&t=5863

It is a starting point for the ECU HpTuners flash on S/C.

Hoping to see someone to have something soon.
Friday, September 29, 2006 5:36 AM
Marchi1 wrote:I will tell you for sure as soon as I can confirm. But it make sense, the TMAP is a 2 bar, and GM has a very conservative tune. Looking at the stage 1 and stage 2 kits for the cobalt there is no computer reflash associated with them (if I remember correctly)

Stage I has the reflash but Stage II doesn't. So I don't know if that would work for us or not by not getting it flashed again or tuned?

That's my question...can we run the 3.0 pulley and do nothing else? I have ordered my wideband and I guess I can order the pulley as well and post up some info? May do that in the next few days and just see...nothing else I could sell the pulley I'm sure!

Eh...old man with a Corvette now...it was bound to happen sooner rather than later right?

Friday, September 29, 2006 6:53 AM
Other than running it and looking at the AFR I dont really think anyone can tell you for sure, if you didnt have the GM reflash and could use HP tuners that opens things up alot more to expand

1989 Turbo Trans Am #82, 2007 Cobalt SS G85

Friday, September 29, 2006 8:53 AM
I emailed ZZ Performance about this. On their website they say their 3" pulley is good for 6.5k rpm shifts and the 3.1" pulley is good for 7k shifts.

They did say with the stock fuel system they recommend the 3.1" pulley.

I'd like to try the 3" pulley and see what afr's I get.

Friday, September 29, 2006 9:24 AM
you have my opinion

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 29, 2006 9:34 AM

Saturday, September 30, 2006 7:50 AM
Admiral Jedi wrote:I emailed ZZ Performance about this. On their website they say their 3" pulley is good for 6.5k rpm shifts and the 3.1" pulley is good for 7k shifts.

Why would the diameter of SC pully affect when you shift? Do you overspin the SC if you shift higher on a smaller pully, or what?

15.3 @ 89.97mph, 14's on the way?
Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:36 AM
Ian Brydon wrote:
Admiral Jedi wrote:I emailed ZZ Performance about this. On their website they say their 3" pulley is good for 6.5k rpm shifts and the 3.1" pulley is good for 7k shifts.

Why would the diameter of SC pully affect when you shift? Do you overspin the SC if you shift higher on a smaller pully, or what?

not until a 2.5" pulley. 2.6" is minimum you can go without overspinning the blower at all...

14.425 @ 97.833 mph stock + GMPP s/c on drag radials.
Saturday, September 30, 2006 10:28 AM
Ahhh yes a memory of the 2.8" pulley.... thinks back:

The good:
http://www.airtonics.com/cavalier/videos/2.8pulleyinstalled.wmv

The bad:

A lil rod stuck in my starter!

Install it, I want to see if anyone else has the same mishap

Saturday, September 30, 2006 1:54 PM
Screw the 2.8" Im going with the 2.6"

Check out my car....
Saturday, September 30, 2006 8:55 PM
Airtonics, I have that video saved. I used to watch it every day.

Did you not have wheel hop at the top of your first gear?

With my stock pulley my tires start chirping around 4,000 rpms in 1st at wot.

Tires are decent with a good amount of tread left on them.

Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:04 PM
I usually get wheel spin vs hop however I used to get wheel hop prior to the following items:

Rk sport upper and lower engine mounts, poly trans bushings and control arm bushings. The tires help a lot too I'm srue 235/40/17 hankook ventus rs2 z212 on an 8" wide rim.

04blackfire, the 2.6 was going to be my next item before the mishap. I'll eventually throw a 2.4 or 2.3 on there someday

Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:22 PM
bold

Saturday, September 30, 2006 9:33 PM
Im doing a full build, hoping to break well into 300 hp. If Id quit seeing Phlatcav getting all this cool stuff like the battery/intake idea, etc. I could get on it and focus on the engine.

Check out my car....
Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:08 AM
Airtonics wrote: I'll eventually throw a 2.4 or 2.3 on there someday

Some say "Bold", but I say the man is insane, but he also knows what he is doing, and I will let him continue to be a test bed and help in any way I can.

Lets build a motor this winter and see what happens...

Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:09 AM
Im currently running on my 2.9" pulley. Would going to a 2.8 make that big of a diff ya think? Im to scared to try it

Sunday, October 01, 2006 7:28 AM
From the 3.0 to the 2.8 I noticed a large increase. Keep in mind my car was probably beat on more than most. My daily driving habits are terrible, I almost never see vaccume. I also autoX'ed the car, did some open track days (hours of beating on it) and at least 70 track passes if not more.

Basically without the 2.8 pulley I think the motor would have gone, eventually due to fatigue. My best trap with the 3.0 pulley was 101.66, with the 2.8 pulley I was trapping almost 104.88, a very noticeable difference.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search