AEM Widebands evil --- - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
AEM Widebands evil ---
Monday, April 09, 2007 8:30 AM
Recently I replaced my wide-band o2 because I discovered that some of the wires were severed right at the sensor housing. It gave me readings which I thought were accurate for a few weeks and then one day went to a steady 14.7. I've replaced the sensor but now when I plug it into the harness my display goes from 14.7 (if it's already powered up without the sensor connected) to "---". I'm not sure if my harness has somehow been compromised as well or if there is something else wrong. Currently I have the gauge wired into my fog light switch, the sensor is before the cat and well downstream of the header (previous o2 showed no signs of sensor damage...other than severed wires). Before I go and buy a new harness, does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem may be? Should I find a better power supply and ground? What do you think? Thanks!

Re: AEM Widebands evil ---
Monday, April 09, 2007 8:35 AM
buy a real wideband with an NTK sensor. I have an AEM as well, and I hate it. (very inaccurate)

Monday, April 09, 2007 9:48 AM
Innovate

How long have you had it, is it still under waranty?

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Monday, April 09, 2007 10:47 AM
WOW I always heard that the AEM stuff was pretty good, I guess I'll have to look for a different manufacturer now.

2000 Z24 5spd header & catback for now.
Monday, April 09, 2007 11:23 AM
i never had a problem with my AEM wideband, whenever i saw --- something was very wrong with my tune

|Forged 8.9:1 Wiseco Pistons|Forged Eagle Rods|HPTuners|60trim|Tial Wastegate|
|Precision Intercooler|2.5" Exhaust|2.5" Charge Pipes|630CC Mototron Injectors|
|Stock: Fuel Pump, Transmission, Manifold, TB, Head, Head Gasket, Ignition, Suspension...|
Monday, April 09, 2007 7:34 PM
Well, I guess I could try modifying my tune, it runs rather well though actually. Maybe I'll richen it up with HPT and see if I can get a reading. Any other thoughts other than just getting a different wideband? Oh, and no, it's not under warranty.

Monday, April 09, 2007 7:36 PM
mmmm innovate

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:13 AM
have had my AEM wideband for 4 years!!!!!!!! Not so much as a single problem with it and its just as accurate as the day i bought it. Have compared it to a couple dynos now and my own SMOG machine and its dead on give or take .1-2

Could be user error or shorted out seeing you said wires were severed. I personally know 5 people with that wideband and NO problems

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 3:24 AM
bosch wideband sensors are generally out a certain percentage

if you compare it to an NTK sensor, the bosch actually read leaner.. so at least thats on the safe side of inaccuracy.

the info i've received is coming from a well known dyno shop here in town who regularily gets his sensors calibrated out of house

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 5:09 AM
Where and how do you have the sensor mounted?

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 8:33 AM
The wires of the old 02 were severed, I have a new one installed now. Could the bad o2 have ruined the harness? It's mounted just as the header down-tube levels out and before the cat. Maybe the angle isn't quite right? Would poor angling cause a "---" reading? Also, when I yanked out the harness the wire casing had been melted a bit. All the wires within the melted casing area were undamaged (in appearance anyway). Thanks for any and all info!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:06 PM
sounds to me that it shorted out when it was cut.................................. yes that could cause somewhere along the harness to have melted shorted who knows. Only way to know would be to ohm out all the wires and do a continuity test between all the wires. If you dont wanna do that i would recommend a new harness but since it does sound that it was shorted out damage to the gauge itself is likely to have occured as well.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:24 PM
SuperPyrofreek(Now With Boost) wrote:The wires of the old 02 were severed, I have a new one installed now. Could the bad o2 have ruined the harness? It's mounted just as the header down-tube levels out and before the cat. Maybe the angle isn't quite right? Would poor angling cause a "---" reading? Also, when I yanked out the harness the wire casing had been melted a bit. All the wires within the melted casing area were undamaged (in appearance anyway). Thanks for any and all info!

My Powerdex AFX manual recommends the sensor be placed anywhere between 10° above horizontal, to prevent against thermal shock. I doubt that was your problem though.

-

"Youth in Asia"...I don't see anything wrong with that.
Wednesday, April 11, 2007 3:19 PM
mine is doing the same thing... still haven't taken the time to figure it out. Let me know if you find out the problem, or I'll let you know if I do.

'00 Grand Am 2.4L LD9
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/816505
Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:35 AM
Ok, so I'm thinking the harness is shorted out. As for the gauge, it still cycles through when you turn it on and if there is no connection between it and the harness it shows 14.7. I haven't been able to find anyone selling just the AEM harness....any suggestions on that? I've been looking at the PLX and Innovate equipment but I haven't yet decided anything. I'm thinking I could cut my losses now and sell the gauge and new sensor and get something else. Thanks again.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 10:33 PM
Call AEM direct and tell them your situation and they will likely help you out with a new harness. Hard to say what they may charge but it wouldnt suprise me that its commonly damaged due to the nature of where the harness is located (near/Around hot and sharp objects). Prolly would have no problem selling you one

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search