what ecotec engines fit in my jbody? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
what ecotec engines fit in my jbody?
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 2:58 PM
current gen2 GM ecotec engines

L61- 2.2 n/a
LE5 - 2.4 n/a
LSJ - 2.0 s/c
LNF - 2.0 turbo SIDI

common features across all ecotec engines:
block structure has same girdle construction whereas the crank is sandwiched between two "halves" of the block. the oil pan is structural in construction. engine is all aluminum, and fully dressed is the lightest engines GM has ever produced. Manifolds are all directly interchangeable. Head design is different between engines, so cam swaps are only possible between the L61 and LSJ. the LE5 is not similar enough to the L61 and LSJ, and the LNF is completely different due to direct injection.

L61(2.2L)
140hp 150tq
86mm bore x 94.6mm stroke

the engine that started it all. first introduced to the Jbody in model year 2002 as the LS sport engine along side the 2200 OHV and 2.4 LD9. By the 2003 model year, it was the only powerplant available for the Jbody up until the end of production in summer of 2005.

-in the Jbody, the L61 comes with either the 4t40e or the getrag F23-M86 5 speed transmission.
-the L61 in the jbody has a 7 tooth reluctor wheel. the reluctor wheel is a cast section of the crankshaft that tells the ecu when to fire the ignition. This cannot be removed, swapped, or otherwise changed.
!!!THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT IF YOU PLAN ON RETAINING THE FACTORY ECU FOR ENGINE MANAGEMENT!!!
-rods and pistons are not known for strength, especially under boosted applications. Forged rods and pistons are not required, however encouraged (especially for turbo)

tidbits:
*the lsj supercharger and manifold is an ALMOST direct bolt-on for the L61. an adapter bracket for the throttle body and a part of the block by the pullies needs to be shaved down in order for it to be bolted on.
*all exhaust manifolds will physically fit on all ecotecs... however due to differing models' constructions, downpipes may be incompatible.
*the L61 in the Jbody has a return fuel injection system. All newer L61s as well as the LE5 and the LSJ use a returnless fuel injection system. the LNF uses a direct-injection system, much like a diesel
*as per GM racing research, the L61 head has a tendency to blow outward of #1 and #4 cylinders at around 500hp. This has yet to be confirmed.

the descendents of the (and including model year 2006 and higher L61 engines) L61 all adapted a "high resolution ignition system" that replaces the 7tooth reluctor with a 58tooth reluctor. this is what makes direct swaps to other ecotec engines impossible for a factory computer.

structurally, the LSJ and LE5 would be a direct swap due to the blocks being almost identical. The LNF has externally mounted accessories... namely, the high pressure fuel pump (500-2100psi) for the direct injection system, as well as an external water pump and may not fit in the Jbody engine bay.

LE5 (2.4L)
170hp 165tq
88mm bore x 99mm stroke
found in cobalt SS (non s/c), solstice, sky, malibu, HHR, and numerous other GM small cars

the big gun of the group, the 2.4 has an 88mm bore and a whopping 99mm stroke. It was also the first ecotec to implement variable valve timing.

tidbits:
-the LE5 has not only larger displacement, but slightly higher compression than the L61 at 10.4:1
-the LE5 (like the other siblings of the L61) comes with strengthened rods and crankshaft
-the LE5 also includes piston cooling oil jets that continously spray the underside of the pistons with oil to help keep them cool, and less prone to detonation.

LSJ (2.0L Supercharged)
200hp 205tq
86mm bore x 86mm stroke
found in: Cobalt SS s/c, Ion Redline

the cobalt ss/ ion redline engine proves very potent with the M62 supercharger. the head is cast by Saab, and has plenty of meat for very good port jobs, as well as includes sodium-filled exhaust valves which makes them appropriate for absorbing plenty of heat from the M62.

tidbits:
-despite popular belief, the LSJ head does NOT flow more than the L61 head. The LSJ head IS, however, stronger due to its casting and revisions from the L61 head, and does not require 'staking' at higher horsepower levels.
-piston cooling oil squirters for detonation resistance

LNF(2.0L turbo SIDI(Spark Ignition Direct Injection))
260hp 260tq
86mm bore x 86mm stroke
found in: Solstice GXP, Sky Redline

the newest addition to the ecotec family also happens to be the most powerful factory engine per liter ever produced by GM.

It utilizes a direct injection system that mounts the injector directly in the combustion chamber and allows for superior fuel economy and rapid fuel burn that allows for a higher compression ratio yet still minimizes the chance of detonation.

unless swapping over to a complete direct injection system, the LNF head, injectors and pistons cannot be used in any other ecotec

-direct injection (500psi-2100psi functional fuel pressure generated by mechanical fuel pump)
-piston cooling jets as all ecotec engines get (except the granddaddy L61)

Re: what ecotec engines fit in my jbody?
Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:10 PM
they all fit

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:16 PM
they all fit

but , anything 05 or 06 and newer have 56x crank and in a different location , the J's use a 7x crank

also the 2.0's use a 8 bolt flywheel , where the others are 6 bolt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:18 PM

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 3:36 PM
maybe i should have titled it "which ecotecs will work in my jbody"

i've seen several posts about LNF swaps

yea it is possible with an experienced mechanic, but nothing a noob to swaps not to mention ecotecs would be able to do

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:15 PM
a LNF swap is gonna be the worst possible swap , having to deal with a mechanical super high pressure pump isnt gonna be fun

not to mention its got the most complicated electronics

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 4:25 PM
what are you thinking of Pj....Crazy sum bitch...trying to be the first to do it is gonna cost mucho dollaro....but you got my vote..

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, August 31, 2007 5:21 PM
won't the LNF also have to be adapted for transverse-mount fwd (since it's only used in longitudinal rwd platforms right now)?

LD9 F23 FTW!!
Friday, August 31, 2007 5:56 PM
ta hell with 4 cylinders.

The Bottle Bomb is getting parted out:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/47668/
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 10:50 PM
yeah, yeah, yeah... but I can drive the living pi$$ out of my car and get appx. 20mpg. try that with a v-6 or-8. when gas is $2.50-$3.00/gal, that's something to consider.

LD9 F23 FTW!!
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:04 PM
I've been toying with an LE5 swap for some time. To me it just seems like the easiest if you've already got an eco in there. Not to sure about the variable valve timing though. That's the main holdup, can't figure where that comes into play, ecu wise. Was seriously thinking of just using the LE5 block with an L61 head, just to have the extra benefit of the longer stroke and increased piston size.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Wednesday, September 05, 2007 11:13 PM
Quote:

anything 05 or 06 and newer have 56x crank and in a different location , the J's use a 7x crank

What's the difference?

Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:16 AM
Skunk v.2K4 wrote:
Quote:

anything 05 or 06 and newer have 56x crank and in a different location , the J's use a 7x crank

What's the difference?

the 58x setup is higher resolution (more notches in the reluctor wheel that's on the crank), and the '02-'05 j-body PCM's cannot use it. you'd have to go with a complete stand-alone engine management system.

also, the cranks are different between the L61 and LE5... so you can't just swap the 7x L61 crank into the LE5.

and PJ... you forgot the L42.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 06, 2007 6:18 AM

Desert Tuners

“When you come across a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.”

Thursday, September 06, 2007 3:16 PM
@!#$e, there goes that idea.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search