Curious about my turbo kit.. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Curious about my turbo kit..
Sunday, March 23, 2008 1:01 AM
Hey everyone, i recently aquired a 2.4 SC and was trading it for a turbo kit from another org memeber, and he gave me a list of what all the kit includes, and im pretty sure its mostly everything i would need but i know that with turbo kits there can be a lot of small hidden costs, and was just overall curious about the opinion on what this kit includes since this is gonna be my first turbo install, i have quite a few friends helping me set it up that have done it before, so the install should be the issue then im taking it to wrenchmonkey for a dyno run and tune.. Everything is set up to work fine with the gmsc flash if you wanted, the gm 2 bar map sensor and injectors plug right up from what i was told, but It seems like maybe the bigger injectors and HPTuned should be the route to go? I know tom knows what he is doing on ld9 tune, and the person i am picking the kit up from also seems very knowledgeble, but im the one who is just making sure its all there since i dont know.

This is all going on a 2001 Z24 with 61k miles.

rebuilt garrett t3 super .60 with internal wg, .60/.48
canadian ebay manifold beadblasted ready to be coated or whatever
2.5" headerwrapped downpipe, bolts to stock catback location, automatic trans may need some modding
2.5" aluminum charge piping kit, 3 ply blue couplers and t-bolt clamps
Johny race car 6" intercooler, very long
310cc ld9 sc injectors
1g dsm bov on custom mounted 2.5" pipe
function 7 4an restricted oil feed fitting, 10an return fitting
12" 10an ss return line, 24" 4an ss feed line, 45* 10an fitting for oil pan
gtp 2 bar map sensor
port matched 2.3 ho intake manifold
2.3 56mm throttle body
battery relocation kit
misc gaskets and such
Autometer Phantom boost gauge

the only thing this kit needs is the small flange to make a compressor outlet pipe whch I have covered, was thinking of going with AEM UEGO 6-1 WIdeband... or whatever is decent for a modest setup

since i am new to this whole thing, im not sure what amount of boost this should produce safely, or if I go with ford green tops how much more I could up the boost, I have spend a lot of time reading this forum the last couple days, and i was ready for some opinions on what this setup can do . or suggestions on how to make it better, and if there are any other parts i will need before i sit down to start this and then realize im missing a major part.

thanks for everything, and i look forward to hearing from you all..

Re: Curious about my turbo kit..
Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:21 AM
Yea man the injectors are from the sc kit so they plug right up, I did alot of reading and was recommended to use the 310's on 7psi with the sc flash. I also have 378cc lsj injectors to use for backups incase I started to lean out on like 8psi, which also pretty much plug right up you just need to slot the bolt holes on your fuel rail. Im keeping them but they can be had for very cheap. Depending on how much boost you wana run and how old yours is, a fuel pump upgrade could be a good idea. If your getting a tune with hpt you can go with much larger injectors if you want, but Im sure youd be fine with the 310's for a reliable setup on 6-8 psi. Also just some plugs, I have ngk tr6's which Im also keeping but their only a few bucks lol.

Other than that its just the putting everything in realy. Deciding how you want to run your charge piping, whether you want to tap your oil pan or just weld in the fitting,etc etc. And if you have any questions for me directly feel free to ask

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:51 AM
Oil Pressure gauge (definitely spend the extra and get the electrical half sweep or full sweep) ~$70-100
Did you get a gauge pod?
Wideband DEFINITELY... I have an innovate and I love it, heard the AEM was good as well
The injectors are on the small side definitely
How are you going to tune? HPTuners? FMU?
You won't want a stock cat in there, since your downpipe will likely be 2.5" then bottleneck HUGE at the stock 1.875" stock cat...
Vacuum hose for connecting BOV & boost gauge...
Other random coolant lines, t-connectors, brass fittings for oil lines

There's going to be LOTS of hidden costs in there, just make sure if anything that you take care of the tuning. Happy boosting

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Sunday, March 23, 2008 10:11 AM
The tune will be done by Tom ( Wrench Monkey ) with HPT and a Dyno... so thats why im making sure I have everything before i go to Wisconsin, I want to boost as much as i can safely and it seems like the 310s could max me out before I reach full power so its something to think about.

Thanks alot mike for everything, im trying ot make sense of all this till Ben looks at it, lol, hes my turbo guy but it seems like you have everything covered with the setup

Dave, I appriciate that, those are some things I didnt really think about such as the cat.. i think my buddy has an extra magnaflow highflow cat laying around as well and hopefully the vacuum lines and fittings, his garage is rediculous esp after his trubo swap

The Supercharger im sure would have been a much easier solution, but I wanted a really fun project, and I think going this route will teach me some things about boost, so thats why im doing it, so far so good

Sunday, March 23, 2008 11:03 AM
I have all the fittings for the oil setup, even a brass t fitting that I was going to use with the stock oil press sensor but yea a gauge would be more efficient. You shouldnt need any fittings at all unless you want to use coolant to cool the turbo as well, which I just have plugged cause oil is enough.

The injectors are a bit small, but they were to be used with the gm sc flash which cant compensate for all the extra fuel if you wanted much bigger injectors. Id say the 310's are good on 8psi safely, I mean theres been people with them that have turned up the boost to like 10psi for a few runs or whatever. Basically, it depends what you want man; if you want to occasionally up the boost to 10psi or more Id go with bigger injectors since youll have hpt to take care of it.

The downpipe is one piece 2.5" from the turbo outlet to the stock location where a catback would bolt to. Theres no cat, but there is a front and rear o2 bung welded on the downpipe. If you want to run a cat you could just weld one in the downpipe.

Yea you will need a little bit of vaccum hose, you can buy cheap universal kits that work fine or just run any kind of fuel line or whatever.

Youll just need an exhaust manifold gasket,oil pan gasket(or you can use rtv), and a few universal style 3 bolt gaskets for the downpipe. As well as oil, coolant, things Im sure you can assume lol.

A turbo timer is a convenience as well if you drive the car alot. If not, just let the car run for a few minutes after running it hard before shutting it off. This will save your turbo from overheating.

A supercharger is an easy way to go, but a turbo setup has much more potential and isnt too hard to do at all. My car is still my dd with a bit higher mileage, which is why I decided to sc for now. I know Ill eventualy do an all out turbo build on a built motor but just not happening right now.

Ill get those pics of those other things for ya soon man

Sunday, March 23, 2008 3:23 PM
icemike89 wrote:I have all the fittings for the oil setup, even a brass t fitting that I was going to use with the stock oil press sensor but yea a gauge would be more efficient. You shouldnt need any fittings at all unless you want to use coolant to cool the turbo as well, which I just have plugged cause oil is enough.

The injectors are a bit small, but they were to be used with the gm sc flash which cant compensate for all the extra fuel if you wanted much bigger injectors. Id say the 310's are good on 8psi safely, I mean theres been people with them that have turned up the boost to like 10psi for a few runs or whatever. Basically, it depends what you want man; if you want to occasionally up the boost to 10psi or more Id go with bigger injectors since youll have hpt to take care of it.

The downpipe is one piece 2.5" from the turbo outlet to the stock location where a catback would bolt to. Theres no cat, but there is a front and rear o2 bung welded on the downpipe. If you want to run a cat you could just weld one in the downpipe.

Yea you will need a little bit of vaccum hose, you can buy cheap universal kits that work fine or just run any kind of fuel line or whatever.

Youll just need an exhaust manifold gasket,oil pan gasket(or you can use rtv), and a few universal style 3 bolt gaskets for the downpipe. As well as oil, coolant, things Im sure you can assume lol.

A turbo timer is a convenience as well if you drive the car alot. If not, just let the car run for a few minutes after running it hard before shutting it off. This will save your turbo from overheating.

A supercharger is an easy way to go, but a turbo setup has much more potential and isnt too hard to do at all. My car is still my dd with a bit higher mileage, which is why I decided to sc for now. I know Ill eventualy do an all out turbo build on a built motor but just not happening right now.

Ill get those pics of those other things for ya soon man

I wouldnt trust the 310s past 5 psi on a turbo setup with S/C reflash.

im running 36lbers with some HP tuning at 10psi and its a beautiful AFR.

BeardLife / Club Awesome Reject Blog
Sunday, March 23, 2008 4:15 PM
well this will be HPTuned for sure, so just ot be safe ill see if i can sell the 310s or trade them for Green tops.. Does that sound more ideal, im basically looking for 10lbs safely..

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:29 PM
yeah man everythings in my turbo kit to go on the car just about. LOL

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:38 PM
haha.. i think I missed something

Sunday, March 23, 2008 6:58 PM
With the turbo setup I was running 370cc injectors were getting me into the mid to high 11's for A:F at 10 PSI. I never played with the reflash.

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:40 PM
im just kidding with mike since he was over my house riding in my racecar the other day LOL at racecar

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:44 PM
lol. well im with you now

Im ready for my own racecar lol

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:49 PM
And tell mike to steal some boost gets you laid stickers and put them in the box

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:56 PM
Mr. Wilhoit wrote:And tell mike to steal some boost gets you laid stickers and put them in the box

How about you buy some buddy

Sunday, March 23, 2008 7:58 PM
ugh lol, i guess i could do that

I def wil have to get some here when i get paid kinda strapped right now, but I always like the ones you had for sale, but if i dont get laid after I put this on.. is that false advertisement

Sunday, March 23, 2008 8:03 PM
no, it's just a tip to get a facelift LOL

sales going on now on all decals every 20-1rst of each month so get it while its cheaper!

Monday, March 24, 2008 10:50 AM
lol...I do have an "I heart boost" sticker with boost written in a snail shape that I guess I cant use now. Maybe Ill save it for down the road

And if you want to run 10psi often and safely Id prolly go with some 36lb or bigger injectors. Since youll have hpt you wont have any problems.

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:33 AM
haha... did you get my pm about the 2.6 and shipping?

Monday, March 24, 2008 11:43 AM
if i wanna go 10lbs, would i just need bigger injectors even than the 310s? and would i need a new different fuel pump?

if so which ones does everyone recommend. Green Tops for injectors and what would i do special to make them plug in, and is there a factory car i could use the fuel pump out of easily ?

NOt much of a fabricator, so im trying to do the simplest things, and if that wont work with 10lbs ill stick with 7-8 lol.

Monday, March 24, 2008 1:50 PM
i got no PM's.

Monday, March 24, 2008 2:41 PM
Not you .. mike lol, I pmed him about that stuff.. I am giving him my 2.6 pulley also, but the bolts are kinda rounded, he might be able to salvage, im not sure, I havent gotten a good look at it, and Shipping is being a bitch lol, so we are trying to figure that out

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:01 PM
thought you had a 2.5 and 2.6? what the fook muthaaaa fooookkaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Monday, March 24, 2008 4:31 PM
Ive heard of people running 10psi on 310cc's, but just a few times at the track. Which green tops are you reffering to? Stock cobalt ss injectors plug right up I believe, and all you have to do is slot the bolt holes on the fuel rail a bit so the rail can sit a bit lower since the injectors are shorter; boosted can reassure that answer since he has them. The lsj's are also 378cc so youd prolly be pretty good on 10psi, and wouldnt have to wire them in. Its gona be a hell of a fun ride on 10psi. Im using the fuel pump out of a 4.3 blazer, Its not 100% necessary you need one but most will recomend it with higher boost levels.

Ill shoot ya a pm later man, I gotta take a nap before work tonight lol.

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:18 PM
I do.. 2.5 is on it, 2.6 is in the box lol

Yeah, I guess I will figure out the whole injector thing sometime, I just want one I dont have to modify, id like to get this kit and then basically sit down in a weekend and bolt everything otgether and then get it tuned lol.. in an ideal thats how it would work, but im wanting to be safe on everything, so Im making sure I understand it all, but learning all this in a few days about turbos is pretty much frying my head lol, till we talked about trading I was planning on SC and just got done learning what I needed for it !

Maybe I should look for the oil pump just to be safe..

Injectors would be these ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/42-Injectors-Green-Top-Ford-Racing-SVO-M-9593-F302_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33554QQihZ007QQitemZ170198357170QQrdZ1QQsspag enameZWD1V

And this is the right oil pump like your using ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M22F-OIL-PUMP-GM-ENGINES-Y-AND-R-4-3L-5-0L-AND-MORE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ6778QQihZ019QQitemZ290009206717QQrdZ1QQsspag enameZWD1V

Monday, March 24, 2008 5:57 PM
im using the 2.3 pump swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search