ecotec supercharged sputtering - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ecotec supercharged sputtering
Monday, April 21, 2008 2:14 PM
i got the gm supercharger kit for my 03 ecotec. the day i got the reflash i developed a sputtering problem. come to find out i got a couple wires going to the map sensor caught in the fan. took em out...sodered em back together thought all was good. nope about an hour later it happened again. so i borrowed a scan tool cause i got a CEL. said IAT sensor low circut. so my buddy that helped me with the install and who is more mechanically and electrically incined then me started researching and said this sensor was the problem

if i understood right when you install this kit this is the MAP sensor that comes with the GM kit and makes your IAT and MAP sensor basically the same sensor...am i corect?

so I have been driving the car for over a week now with the engine light on...works awesome and every once in awhile it does this sputtering bull@!#$ pulling away.if you let the car sit and idle for 15 seconds or so it works fine and a friend of mine was behind me when it happened and said it smelled like i was running really rich. i ordered the sensor which came in today came straight home and put it on. opened up my brand new scan tool which came today as well...cleared the code...started the car...seemed fine...went to go out my driveway and it did it again and now it won't go away...if i manage to get the revs up high enough it has no power...can someone shed some light on this weird situation.

Visit me on Cardomain

Re: ecotec supercharged sputtering
Monday, April 21, 2008 2:40 PM
how did you "fix" the wiring

there are 4 wires coming outta the tmap(in picture)

and 5 comming from the car

here is the wiring diagram, should help

also what is your fuel pressure?
is the vacuum line hooked up to the regulator on the fuel rail?
what c\octane of fuel are you using? 93+ is recommended, 91 if its the the highest you can get

the octane is what fixes alot of peoples problems.

but in regards the the check engine light its proally got to do with the wires

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Monday, April 21, 2008 3:12 PM
to fix the wires we sodered them back together and heat shrunk each one. what i was told happened was the red and grey wire were the ones that got bared off and prolly touched each other and cooked that map sensor. 91 octane is the highest we can get here and i am running it...always did even before i had the supercharger

Visit me on Cardomain
Monday, April 21, 2008 3:17 PM
well i guess you got it in your diagram as orange wire not red...also i just went and checked and no vaccum lines disconnected

Visit me on Cardomain
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:08 AM
why would you run 91 octane in a NA econobox??? you know you have wasted money until now
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:28 PM
...since that did noting to help my current problem...f u c k off...thx bye

Visit me on Cardomain
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 12:31 PM
anyway. snowman, i printed off your diagram and checked over the wiring we did and its correct so thats not the problem...i threw some new plugs in it but it did nothing...you can smell fuel...i am gonna recheck the wiring to make sure there are no wires bad but i didn't see anything out of place when i checked the wiring against your diagram

Visit me on Cardomain
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 2:20 PM
are the plugs gapped correctly?, i dont remember off hand what the gap is

are they the plugs w/ the kit? or stock?

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 4:26 PM
not stock plugs...and they're gapped correctly

Visit me on Cardomain
Tuesday, April 22, 2008 10:08 PM
the kit never came with plugs...i have 2 different kinds here though...ac delco plugs and some ngk's

Visit me on Cardomain
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 12:47 AM
clogged cat?

Wednesday, April 23, 2008 5:36 AM
Mike Smeltzer wrote:...since that did noting to help my current problem...f u c k off...thx bye

nice. try putting deisel in it.

i hope you never get that thing runnning
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 6:45 AM
i tried the diesel....didn't work all that great.. anyway i might have an idea to whats wrong. so my scan tool i just bought can show me live data. i was playing around with it later last night and tried this feature out. and noticed my intake air temp was 304...even when the car wasn't running. and when i turned the car on and let it idle...different things changed...except that..it never moved...what should the temp be approx when sitting still especially when the car is just started. if the car is seeing a temp like that in my intake manifold could that be why its dumping so much fuel? someone correct me if i am wrong or let me know i am right...thanks guys

Visit me on Cardomain
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:00 AM
TraJadY wrote:clogged cat?

i never thought of that but i don't think thats it cause my cat is less then a year old but if nothing else seems to work i'll check it out

Visit me on Cardomain
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 8:20 AM
unplugged the 2 pin plug for the IAT and suddenly my scanner reads an intake temp of -40...took the car for a drive and it worked great...so i figure theres a break inside the plug or something minor...anyway its pretty much solved...thanks everyone for your help..well almost everyone hahaha whiteboyz24...try not to take the interwebs so seriously bud...

Visit me on Cardomain
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 11:27 AM
damn....its running. my voodoo car didnt work
i thought if the iat temp was that high it would cut fuel
Wednesday, April 23, 2008 7:23 PM
yeah sorry about your luck hahaha

Visit me on Cardomain
Thursday, April 24, 2008 9:44 PM
I had the same problem with mine after the reflash.It was reading the same code,so I switched the the two wires from the iat,and it worked.On the manual it says to put the black wire in the B slot and the light brown into the A.Switch the black wire two the A slot,and the brown to B.That took of the cel off.
Friday, April 25, 2008 7:40 AM
yeah lol thats exactly what the problem was now i am getting O2 sensor codes...no activity codes from an O2 sensor and heater circut malfunction...more fun hahaha

Visit me on Cardomain
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search