2.2 TURBO MANIFOLD (EBAY VS HOMEMADE) PICS - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
2.2 TURBO MANIFOLD (EBAY VS HOMEMADE) PICS
Monday, June 23, 2008 6:26 AM
I just wanted to let people know about the ebay turbo manifold from canada. It is not a good buy, yes it is cheap, but it will fail very quickly. Below are some pictures of the ebay manifold vs my homemade manifold. Let me know what you think and I hope more people will make there own instead of getting burned by cheap imitations. Notice the cracks in the ebay manifold .....

ebay
-1-1/4 pipe 1.38 ID
-mild/iron
-mig welded

homemade
-1-1/2 pipe 1.61 ID
-stainless
-tig welded

Re: 2.2 TURBO MANIFOLD (EBAY VS HOMEMADE) PICS
Monday, June 23, 2008 6:30 AM
One more detail I forgot to mention
The ebay manifold was on my car for 5 months
So far mine has been on for 14 months and still looks mint!
Monday, June 23, 2008 6:46 AM
You put WAAAYY too much thought and effort into that

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Monday, June 23, 2008 6:50 AM
That looks like @!#$!!!!! Im a mechanical designer at a fab shop, so it was nothing to come up with. I made the exhaust flange and bought the pipe and welded it together, however it was expensive, but it has held up wonderfully!
Monday, June 23, 2008 7:24 AM
to most.....function <form manifold wise.

most peoples you can even see.....so it doesnt matter how it looks to most. A log mani is a log mani IMO.

Monday, June 23, 2008 7:31 AM
On a 2.2/2200 you can see the manifold very easily, also, how much exhaust turbulance do you think is going on inside that hack job manifold?
Just a question .....
Monday, June 23, 2008 8:45 AM
probably about the same amount as yours.....log manis arent the best for flow. As far as seeing it, last i saw you had everything covered up with a heatshield anyways.

Yes, they are out front, but you can barely see any of my mani on my setup.

if you are going to spend all the time & $$, tubular > log.....any day.

Monday, June 23, 2008 5:23 PM
I have that ebay manifold on my car and have for 3 years now and it looks just the same it did when i got it minus a little paint is all. And 1 more thing the one i have looks nothing like that one. I would show a pic but its wrapped with header wrap. the welds are way cleaner and doesn't look fed up like that one

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:24 AM
Those crappy looking welds are my secondary welds to try and patch where it cracked. I didnt have the right wire in my mig machine when I did them.
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 5:51 AM
The new manifold looks great, and if you can make it yourself then I dont see why not. Why dsm flange?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 7:43 AM
I used the dsm flange because I wanted to use a 16G for my setup. It turned out great! I dont like how big the t3-t4 is and I have a bunch of @!#$ going on under my hood. I can make this manifold for other people but the cost has kept people away from it. But those pics are proof after 14 months of continuous abuse with hot egts, that manifold has held up with no sign of fatigue.

CAVI DEMON

How do you know that your manifold still looks good if its wraped? That old one was wraped too, so you might want to check yours, since mine looked like that after being wraped!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008 10:46 AM
Nice manny there. Whether it functions the same or not, I still don't want a crap heap of metal under the hood! I'm with you on this phil!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008 12:01 PM
Phil Lindsay wrote:how much exhaust turbulance do you think is going on inside that hack job manifold?
Turbulence? in mine? No way...lol. For $40 though...

fortune cookie say: better a delay than a disaster
Thursday, June 26, 2008 5:59 PM
well I know it doesn't look like that because I just wrapped it a month ago its been unwrapped since then.

DRIVE HARD OR DONT DRIVE AT ALL!!!

Wednesday, July 16, 2008 6:29 PM
Hey man

Your running a 16g i just bought a TD05H 16G turbo for my ecotec project let me know how that turbo worked out for you!!
Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:43 PM
I dont mean to ridicule you in the slightest, cause you homemade manifold looks awesome, but I've got one question.. How long has that other manifold been soaking in the salt water??? Seriously, I've NEVER seen a turbo manifold look that bad in that short of time, even 20+year old stock turbo manifolds look better than that.

Ive got that same style log manifold, but for my Ecotec. Probably made by the same person on Ebay too. I've never had any problems with it rusting like that or pitting or corroding from the inside-out. I used VHT paint on my turbo and manifold and it still looks just as good as the day I put it on 14 months ago. I never had any problems with cracking or warping either.

Who knows? Maybe you just got a bad one, and I'm not saying you didn't, but alot of people are having tremendous success using that same style manifold. Anyways, good luck and have fun with your custom made manifold.

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Friday, July 18, 2008 5:35 AM
I didnt soak it in salt water, it was wrapped, thats it. I started to notice a gap in the wrap which happened to be a crack in the manifold where the exhaust gas burned right thru the header wrap, then I took it off and un wrapped it and thats what it looked like. Its not so much rusty as it is brittle due to the heat cycles and the metal used. My stainless one has been used for much longer and looks way better. I just took it off to do another rebuild and sand blasted it ..... looks brand new!

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:34 AM
Haha, mines perfect so far after 6 months.

----------------------------------------------------------------
www.bradsairsoft.com
Thursday, August 14, 2008 11:03 AM
What year of engine is that in the last picture. cause i was gonna do my 95 2.2L and was wondering if i should just invest in a after market engine.

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road
Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:14 PM
Its a 2000 2200
Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:15 PM
you should make some for ECOs and 2.4

RIP JESSE GERARD.....Youll always be in my thoughts and prayers...

Friday, August 15, 2008 4:59 AM
i have the flanges modeled up, all i would need is a moc layout, or a dimention for the flange
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search