which way? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which way?
Monday, September 01, 2008 9:11 PM
I was hopeing someone could point me into the right direction here. I'm running a 99 2.2 2dr rscp. She is on her second motor, I would like to boost her. There're only a few guys locally that i could talk to about boosting her and good luck trying to get ahold of them. I'm not trying to build a track car, i want something reliable with a lil power when i want it. So i guess my question is will my stock motor as it sitts right now with 90k handle being boosted and how much boost should i be running. Like I said im not trying to build a track car. I am not a motor head, i am a body guy and i refuse to take her to a shop!

*I updated my pictures tell me what you think
*98% of the crew here where i live are honda this honda that, im the outcast and i want to show them up

***Please dont waste my time and tell me to do research because numer one thats annoying, if i had time to do it i would, THANKS***

Re: which way?
Monday, September 01, 2008 9:25 PM
SEARCH

lol j/k but you should theres a lot of info on here.

i would say just stock engine and throwing on boost you could go 5-6psi with out fuel mods.
And tuning with HPT.
Tuesday, September 02, 2008 7:35 PM
thanks for the help fevas, go figure why i dont waste my time asking questions, once again you have made someone else feel unwelcome

Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:05 PM
Hers the deal don't get all upity! I don't know WTF makes you think you were ready to leave the newbies forum. You clearly still belong there. But since you did and you want our help... Just sit down, shut up, and listen to what we have to say.

You are working with the wrong engine if you want to show them up. Just being honest with you. It was the weakest as far as whp is concerned and does not like to be revved.

You do not know enough about turboing a car for you to understand what we would tell you. Untill you get a better knowledge of how a turbo sytem works and it's components that idea is out the window. We don't have time to sit here and spoon feed you info all day long.

My honest opinion is if you want to have a chance sell your car and buy a z24. There is most likely only a couple hundred dollars difference in price and that is much cheaper than trying to make a turbo kit for your car.

I never understood why somone would buy the slowest model cav and want to race it. If you wanted a fast cavalier you should have bought a z24 but instead you prolly bought it becuase it was cheap. Nothing wrong with that just remember why you bought it and drive it the way it was meant to be driven. IE 2.turds were not meant to be raced.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 02, 2008 8:20 PM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 3:54 AM
Yeah..................whatever.

Here's a good place to start as far as the components you will need for decent Turbo setup from Hahn's.
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=154327&t=108653&p=1

SO_hardcore wrote:i would say just stock engine and throwing on boost you could go 5-6psi with out fuel mods.
And tuning with HPT.

That's some good advice, he's not wasting your time.

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 6:22 AM
Wade Jarvis wrote:I don't know WTF makes you think you were ready to leave the newbies forum.

LOL

JBOK.org / J-Bodies of Kentucky
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:08 PM
input, great! my understanding of a turbo is limited. i believe it makes the motor run on high compression. yes i prolly should have never graduated from the newbies forum lmao. the cavy i bought at the time was an upgrade from what i was driving. along with the turbo set up i was also considering to do a entire engine swap, i have yanked a few motors before, i was just curious what other motors would line up with the engine mounts i have now. i would like to look for say a 03-05 ecotec but i dont want to waste my time looking for a motor that will not fit and or have to modify all of the engine mounts. basically i want to plug n play, i have been reading the diff forums a little bit at night before i go to sleep and i see letters and numbers and i guess these a motors ex: M62? i dont have a clue what motor that is or what car it comes out of..its like my buddies talking about their damn b18 civics or w/e... as i also stated.....i am not looking to build a "TRACK CAR" but i'd like to have that extra power when i need it. im not sure if anything i said makes any since but i cant read it over, im going crossed eyed. Thanks again

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:16 PM
heres a better example: the LD9? wtf is that? obviously a better engine then mine i'd imagine. what does it come out of?

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:19 PM
ld9= 2.4

i have the same motor as you. lots of parts and moeny is need to boost this motor

as far as i know there is no engine that will just bolt up, you will have to switch all the wiring and suck, correct me if i am wrong

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:33 PM
i dont mind doing wiring, it doesnt bother me. if you read my proflie i basically rewired my entire engine bay after day took a pair of blot cutters under the hoood. i rewired it even with an automatice harness and a year older(98).tell my i didnt do it, i will email you pictures. wiring is cake like a big puzzle. is this true; NOTHING will bolt right in other then a duplicate motor?

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 8:47 PM
yo seriously search or look in the faq.

To go from a 2.2 to a 2.4 you need the engine (complete will all accessorizes), top engine mount, tranny, computer and engine wiring harness. A 2.4 swap is basically a bolt in.

Wednesday, September 03, 2008 9:07 PM
from the sounds of things i might just better look for a newer car to work with, im not completely gutting my car to change the motor to an ecotec

Thursday, September 04, 2008 9:42 AM
boosting the 2200 is getting easier by the week.

There are several cheap log manifolds on the market now, as well as custom tubular ones.
There IS aftermarket support, and it IS expensive if you are going all out. If you have moderate plans for it, and arent going crazy....you be fine.

btw, I would loose that spoiler.....

Thursday, September 04, 2008 10:20 AM
As stated before to swap to the 2.4 or ld9 as it is often refered to is pretty much a bolt in deal. The ecotec swap is far more involved but still doable. Infact it has been done several times by people on here and there are write ups on how to posted by a few people.

The 2.4 or LD9 as some refer to it is the engine that comes in the 96-02 z24's. The reason I just told you to sel your car and by the z24 is it will be far less time consuming and cheaper in the end. Since you are not looking for something an all out race car I think you would be happy with the gain the z24 has over the 2.2 powered car you have. Also buying a z24 would be cheaper than turboing your 2.2.

FYI ecotec engines are often refered to as the eco or L61. They are 2.2 liter DOHC engines found in some 2002 and all 03-05 jbodys. The M62 you mention describes the size of the supercharger that GM Performance parts makes for the ecotec engine. It is also the same size supercharger the Cobalt SS/SC has and the Ion Redline use.
The 2.4 also has a supercharger kit made by GM Perormance Parts it is often refered to by it's size which is M45 or MP45. Sc is short for supercharger.
The most common size sc 's refered to around here are m45 and m62. The m45 is smaller and the m62 is the next common size bigger and then there is the m90 which is bigger yet and also an m112 but you most likly won't here much about those as they involve alot of custom fabbing to fit a 2.4 or eco.
A 2.3 is the 2.4 predacessor an has some performance benefits over the 2.4. The benefit depends on the engine code as there were several versions made. You will here them refered to as LGO or w41 or 2.3HO or 2.3LO Lgo is an engine code for the 2.3 the 2.4's engine code is LD9 and the 2.2eco's is L61 so that is how that all comes together. LN2 is 2.2OHV

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:57 PM
#1 the spolier was a test
#2 i have decided to do the 2.4 swap
-Other then the motor, the tranny, wire harness and computer what else do i need to swap out?
-Will the clutch master cyclinder cange as well?
In say about six weeks i will be going to pick this motor i out, i will be going in the basement for the winter where i will prolly start asking more questions about the motor; i want to preform a complete tear down-which means new internals that i will need help with.(just giving a heads up,lol)

Thanks again for the help so far!

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Thursday, September 04, 2008 4:16 PM
The "SEARCH" option is your friend. Here's some stuff I found.

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=412031&t=411843#412031
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=30&i=40614&t=40606#40614
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=383644&t=383627#383644
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=380426&t=378754#380426

................and on and on and on.......................

I just entered "LD9 Swap" into the Search. Good luck!

SOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:46 PM
the links are good stuff, but i didnt see anything about like the clutch master cyclinder or the c/v axles; are these parts the same fitment also?

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Saturday, September 06, 2008 9:26 PM
bump

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Sunday, September 07, 2008 12:29 PM
^^^^^^ above stated parts are the same

fully built 2200-TO4E T3/T4-HP tuners-373hp @18psi
Sunday, September 07, 2008 6:15 PM
wonderful, thanks

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search