Turbo LD9 project this fall - Looking for some insight - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo LD9 project this fall - Looking for some insight
Friday, July 24, 2009 12:07 PM
So I am going turbo this fall when I put the car away for the winter and am not entirely sure what turbo I should be looking at to reach my goals. I have been reading on here and see the some guys suggest the GT2871R and the GT3071R. I'm not really sure the difference between the two, both looking to have similar potential for hp rating. I'm not necessarily looking for a ball bearing turbo but something that is gonna spool relatively quick and support in the range of 350-400bhp. My goal starting off next summer will be in the range of 275-300whp and would probably want to improve on that later in the summer or the following year. I see that the garrett ball bearing turbos are a little more expensive than the non-ball bearing ones but not sure if the spool time is significantly different between the two. I don't know much about turbos at this point cause I am just starting to read/learn about them. Anyways, if anyone can help me out any choosing the right turbo for my setup it would be appreciated. I'm gonna continue to read up on turbos and try to find something that will reach my goals.

Re: Turbo LD9 project this fall - Looking for some insight
Friday, July 24, 2009 2:56 PM
Garrett T04E 50 trim

Friday, July 24, 2009 4:11 PM
I think you need to work out your current tuning issues first before going turbo.

FU Tuning

Friday, July 24, 2009 5:04 PM
John Higgins wrote:I think you need to work out your current tuning issues first before going turbo.

The car is tuned now...running pretty strong now (well for a mp45 setup), dynoed 189whp. I just installed a larger meth nozzle the other day and am heading back to the dyno monday to lean it out a bit more and see if the larger nozzle helps at all. I'm gonna aim for a 12.5 A/F to see if I can get over the 200whp mark. I am running around the mid to high 11's for an A/F now which seems fine but I want to get everything possible out of my setup cause I don't really care if it blows up at the end of the summer cause the engine is coming out and getting fully built for a turbo.

I don't really know what the T04E 50 trim is but I'm sure I can do some research and find out more about it.

Friday, July 24, 2009 11:07 PM
12.5:1 a/f ratio is lean, why would you be aiming for that?

Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:30 AM
LAFNGAS wrote:12.5:1 a/f ratio is lean, why would you be aiming for that?

Well I guess I should have been more specific, but aiming for a 12.0-12.5 A/F. Like I said before I don't really care if the car blows up but I don't think it will cause at the beginning of this summer I got my car out and had a wideband for the first time and with the stock injectors (plus a recently installed meth kit running 50/50 methanol/water) I was running a 12.7:1. I figure without the meth it may have been running a little leaner. Anyways, I ran the car for 2 years with over 50,000 kms and put almost 50 passes on the car last summer alone plus whatever driving I did on the road. I am pretty impressed with the reliablity of this kit, never had one problem in 2 years. Just got a compression done the beginning of this summer and still has 230psi in all cylinders. Not too bad for a blown LD9 I rebuilt with OEM parts.

Anyways, I did some research and I think I may go for the TO4E but may get the 57 trim. I was talking to my buddy who is doing a turbo civic and he was thinking about upgrading his turbo to that. Its supposed to be good for 400bhp which is perfect for what I am looking for starting out. Saves me a little money to put more work into the engine and then I can always upgrade to a GT30R or GT35R in the future. It looks like the TO4E series are like $500 less so that is the cost of a good intake manifold. Anyways, I'm gonna keep looking into this. Any pointers/help would be appreciated.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search