Garrett Turbocharger Issues/ Honeywell Turbo Technologies - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Garrett Turbocharger Issues/ Honeywell Turbo Technologies
Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:23 PM
Seen this on another forum....
Intersting info seems to be on alot of forums. Wonder if there's truth to it?

Originally Posted by mbtech
I work at Garrett Turbos, now called Honeywell Turbo Technologies which there so proud of. When Cliff Garrett Owned Garrett He used to brown bag his lunch everyday and cared for a quality Product. If he knew what Honeywell has done now he would turn over in his grave. Honeywell bought Garrett In 1998 or 1999. After this they opened up a turbo testing lab in shanghai China and quickly moved there turbo overhaul to Mexicali Mexico, quickly after Garrett overhaul went belly-up. So they moved there whole production to Mexicali Mexico, as if that first failure was not a sign.

Garrett Turbos made a quality product for a fair price. A turbo is a precision instrument. Garrett turbos was part of Garrett Air Research (on 190th st. In Torrance ca.) Where they have a huge facility designing turbine engines, and so on. Most of the senior technicians in our main turbo facility (Lomita Blvd Torrance ca) came from our air research. If you’re building jet engines a turbo is not all that difficult. Well Cliff Garrett dies. At that time ALL production of Garrett Turbos was at Lomita Torrance ca. Also all engineering and research was there as well. After we were bought and production was sent to Mexico to save costs. Our production numbers doubled. And cost was cut in half our failure rate tripled. Well who cares Honeywell is making money and lots of it. Turbos are considered Honeywell’s golden egg. They feel that turbos are going to take over big. Which it already has in the diesel market. We make ford diesel turbos, daf, Chevrolet, some Audi, vw, fiat, Perkins. Millions of turbos. And there now all coming from china and Mexico. Well up until lately the company figured if the product was designed in the US and assembled in Mexico we would be ok. Well to further there profit and **** the customer once again....the LAST of what makes turbo American leaves in January 2011. We will close the doors to the Torrance Lab. In Torrance we did all our racing turbos (wrc stuff, Audi racing etc..) then in the garret garage we did the turbos you people buy for your Subaru’s. Actually I take that back. They take turbos that were made on a production line somewhere else in the world, and change a couple of parts on a bench in Torrance (wheels, housing..etc) and send it to you the customer saying it was made in the us.....no it was not it was just repackaged and altered a little. Well as of Jan 2011 all your turbos will be made in Mexico or china or Czech Republic. This is the last Garrett facility in the United States.

We have huge law suits pending due to turbo failures. GM is probably going to leave us.... ford has already sued us. Caterpillar has one of the largest recalls in garret history in the process. Our name is becoming ****. The last few VERY smart guys left in the company are being fired to save costs, but see our profit is already good.....they just want more. Please don’t spend 1500$ on a gt35r. Now that it’s costing Honeywell less to build turbos do you think you will see a smaller bill when you order there product? NO!. They are going to charge you even more for even less. There are countless procedures that are being terminated everyday that made our turbos THE BEST. They keep cutting corner after corner. Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo. Did you know that 2000$ gt40 you buy is all mark up. I won’t dare say the actual cost to the company in fear of a lawsuit but lets just say your sales tax is more then the production cost.

Do not buy these turbos. BorgWarner and mitsu are trying there best to compete with us making a quality product. Honeywell is using its big name to back junky turbos Like Toyota is starting to do. I guarantee in the next 8 months you will see a huge decline in quality. All designing and production is in CHINA AND MEXICO. Honeywell is taking back all there benefits they used to supply us with as employees. That way when they lay us off its as cheap as possible. Instead of saying "Well after we take a hit laying those people off we will make tons" they are just taking back all there benefits so they walk away clean and clear. We used to get a severance package. Which they just took away. One of the head engineers involved in the t3 project. (Designing the first t3) he is still with our company. he was supposed to get 44 weeks of pay if he ever got layed off (30 days and 1 week for every year with the company. 40 years with the company)Due to the new Honeywell rules he gets only 16 weeks pay they stole all that pack after promising it to him for 40 years. My fingers and about to fall off typing all this and I am heated so I don’t care about grammar I’m concerned about you people not supporting a **** company. Take your business elsewhere. Somewhere where you will get what your money pays for. Have a nice day and don’t forget if you hear the name HTT Honeywell Turbo Technologies Stay away

(They still use the garret stamp on the turbos)

Re: Garrett Turbocharger Issues/ Honeywell Turbo Technologies
Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:31 PM
You should photochop a "SUCKS" next to the branding on the compressor housing in your sig...

lol

Damn shame though, I hate it when US made companies puss out like that and the quality goes down hill. I'm all for making the product cheaper by lowering production costs but what honeywell has done is damn near sell out.

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards
Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:34 PM
Being a Honeywell employee myself, I will say that this sounds like a bitter employee who is about to be laid off, or someone who works for another company. Having worked in the main aircraft engine production plant in Phoenix, I can tell you that alot of stuff is done else where, but all the designs are and always will be American designs. I know there are a few others here that work for Honeywell aswell, and can probably tell you more then I can. I am not sure how things are at other plants, but where I work, we have a bit of work being done in China and other places, and it all comes back to us for final inspection before the customer ever sees it.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:34 PM
Alex Richards wrote:You should photochop a "SUCKS" next to the branding on the compressor housing in your sig...

lol

Damn shame though, I hate it when US made companies puss out like that and the quality goes down hill. I'm all for making the product cheaper by lowering production costs but what honeywell has done is damn near sell out.

well i got mine in the good batch still. looks like til 2011 you MIGHT be ok.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 3:45 PM
yea seen this on tristatetuners and dsmtuners . looks to be 100% true.
Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:01 PM
well hell, I'm not sure i wanna buy a garret now lol

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:08 PM
youll be fine, christ sounds like a bitchy employee

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:13 PM
Qwibby {T3H Old QBE} wrote:well hell, I'm not sure i wanna buy a garret now lol

id say go with it until 2011. but like i said before. if i did it over again, id be going borg warner.

Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:21 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

id say go with it until 2011. but like i said before. if i did it over again, id be going borg warner.

Borg Warner has far superior compressor efficiency maps and overall temperature coefficients than Garrett anyway.

Friday, February 26, 2010 12:18 AM
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

Borg Warner has far superior compressor efficiency maps and overall temperature coefficients than Garrett anyway.

Journal bearing vs journal bearing, that's true. I'm not so sure that holds compared to the Garrett BB turbos, though.

I have no signiture
Friday, February 26, 2010 6:40 AM
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

Journal bearing vs journal bearing, that's true. I'm not so sure that holds compared to the Garrett BB turbos, though.

i would even go as far to say that a journal bearing borg warner is better than a garrett bb. the power levels and life of the borg warners are amazing. borg warner doesnt even make anything but journal bearing.

Friday, February 26, 2010 8:34 AM
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

Compressor efficiency and temperature coefficients of the compressor wheels and housings have nothing to do with BB vs. Journal bearing.

Albeit BB turbos are sweet...Journal bearings are still just as good for 99% of applications. And quite frankly the 1% of race applications that could benefit from a BB turbo are using Borg Warner quite a bit anyway.

Friday, February 26, 2010 9:12 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

i would even go as far to say that a journal bearing borg warner is better than a garrett bb. the power levels and life of the borg warners are amazing. borg warner doesnt even make anything but journal bearing.

I'm well aware of this. I have an S200. Also, GM Racing used an S400SX on their Pro FWD Cobalt and were the first into the 7's.
Alex Richards wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

Compressor efficiency and temperature coefficients of the compressor wheels and housings have nothing to do with BB vs. Journal bearing.

Albeit BB turbos are sweet...Journal bearings are still just as good for 99% of applications. And quite frankly the 1% of race applications that could benefit from a BB turbo are using Borg Warner quite a bit anyway.

My appologies. I thought bearing friction and inertia were taken into account....

I have no signiture
Friday, February 26, 2010 1:29 PM
Whalesac wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

I'm well aware of this. I have an S200. Also, GM Racing used an S400SX on their Pro FWD Cobalt and were the first into the 7's.
Alex Richards wrote:
Whalesac wrote:
Alex Richards wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

My appologies. I thought bearing friction and inertia were taken into account....

Hey whalesac, did you ver get around to testing out your S200? I remember you saying you needed a welder to be able to get everything set up (this was a year ago) and i was just wondering if you had any results with attempting that 1.15 A/R turbine housing lol. Oh, for for our specific S200's the only turbing housing the Bullseye makes is .55, which i'm using on the stock motor and will be moving onto an S3xx for the built engine.

Friday, February 26, 2010 6:09 PM
Thrice . wrote:
Hey whalesac, did you ver get around to testing out your S200? I remember you saying you needed a welder to be able to get everything set up (this was a year ago) and i was just wondering if you had any results with attempting that 1.15 A/R turbine housing lol. Oh, for for our specific S200's the only turbing housing the Bullseye makes is .55, which i'm using on the stock motor and will be moving onto an S3xx for the built engine.

That sucks.

No I haven't really done anything in about 3 years. Being a poor college student hasn't helped. I have come to the realization though, that the stock housing is actually a divided T3 with the T4 bolt pattern.

I have no signiture
Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:37 AM
hx35 with bullseye housing worked wonders on anything

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:22 AM
Quote:

GM Racing used an S400SX on their Pro FWD Cobalt and were the first into the 7's.

what? that doesnt even make sense? and not in the sense of something along the lines of the numbers dont ad up. thats just plain confusing

its like asking someone hey what time is it ..... oh its id say its about green?

and if Im not mistaken wasnt it gardella that was first into the sevens?

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Sunday, February 28, 2010 1:31 AM
Jcavi wrote:
Quote:

GM Racing used an S400SX on their Pro FWD Cobalt and were the first into the 7's.

what? that doesnt even make sense? and not in the sense of something along the lines of the numbers dont ad up. thats just plain confusing

its like asking someone hey what time is it ..... oh its id say its about green?

and if Im not mistaken wasnt it gardella that was first into the sevens?

Vincent said Borg Warners are strong turbochargers. I agreed by giving an example...The S400sx is a type of Borg Warner Turbocharger that was used on the FWD cobalt (likely a tubbed chasis) in 2004, I think. I misread the information though. It was the first FWD 4cyl to brake the 200mph mark in the 1/4 mile...not the first into the 7's. Where's the confusion?

I have no signiture
Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:49 AM
JCavi: Gary Gardella was a GM Racing driver for a long time. Now he is back with his own team.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, February 28, 2010 10:46 AM
mbtech wrote:Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo.

Umm....I could be wrong here....but this just sounds like an engineer is just doing his job
I'd rather buy a turbo that is built "just enough" then one that is heavier for no good reason. Obviously this meaning Quality is not impacted, which should go without saying but wanted to make that clear. Built "just enough" = "just right" = "better product"

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, March 01, 2010 11:41 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
mbtech wrote:Did you know that we shave metal off our turbine and compressor housings until they are at the EXTREME minimum needed to contain in the event of failure they are shaving every nickel off the cost of a turbo.

Umm....I could be wrong here....but this just sounds like an engineer is just doing his job
I'd rather buy a turbo that is built "just enough" then one that is heavier for no good reason. Obviously this meaning Quality is not impacted, which should go without saying but wanted to make that clear. Built "just enough" = "just right" = "better product"

"Just Enough" does not equal "Just Right". If it did, it'd be called "Just Right".

"Just Enough" is what's causing Toyota Recalls. They did "Just Enough" research on their throttle pedals to not kill people...for a while.

Not trying to start anything, just saying people can take any sentence and re-phrase/ say it in a different tone, to use to someone's (dis)advantage.

It's quite evident, the story quoted by vince, clearly states "Just Enough" in this instince, isn't for the better of a quality product, but to make fat wallets, fatter.

You know you have a semi-chubby for Garrett. Don't play the game of favorites on this one.

Monday, March 01, 2010 12:50 PM
LOL^

I think your taking what I said too far, and turning this into an argument over a definition of "just enough". lol

What I meant, and tried to make clear...was additional material that is otherwise not needed is what? A waste...no?
I don't understand how a company that spends $ to find out if they can achieve the same results with less material is considered 'hurting quality'. I do see how that can benefit them in the long run by saving the initial cost of research $ + more....but making wallets fat? I don't see that...sorry. A good comparison here would be rods....would you think heavy and big is better? Maybe some people would, but I'd rather take the rod that was made by a company who designed the rod 'just right'...meaning no added useless weight where it doesn't need to be. Do you see the point now?

I wont argue "my vs. your" definition of 'just right', please insert whatever phrase you want there that lines up these concepts and call it a day there buddy.

I would much rather buy a turbo that has been opened up internally as much as possible while still continuing to maintain said quality and reducing weight of the finished product(think of this a factory porting if you will)...does that sound better to you now?

I really do fail to see the issue with this.....sorry. I'm not saying all things mentioned in that guys post are wrong, and if true...yeah, well, that sucks....but whatever. You're right, I do like Garrett, but so does the OEM industry.

I also fail to see how this relates to toyota in any way, sorry. I have no idea how they test, or even garrett for that matter, so this is why I left my observations very generic in nature.
Garrett guilty of: Reducing product cost(saving them $), reducing product weight(saving the customer weight), possibly increasing flow area(definitely a win for the customer).
Toyoa guilty of: Lack of testing a part?, Lack of QC?, Lack of admitting to a problem when they had the chance to fix it earlier and hope it went away?

Boil that down and I yet to see any benefit for the customer on the Toyota side of your comparison yet see obvious advantages to the customer in the side effects of Garrett's efforts.

You can find product changes based on engineering analysis in everything you buy, use, consume, ect.... You willing to blame all the manufacturers of said products that they are simply using these new-fangled tactics to save cash and pad wallets? Or would you rather see the product costs/manufacturing costs of said products to drop, becoming cheaper to the buyer/user? Yes, there will be some of both, obviously because the company is in business to make money but also they have engineering costs to recover too. In the long run, this mostly benefits the customer in cheaper goods after the initial cost of research investment has been recovered.....if for no other reason than to gain market share in their respective segments by decreasing product costs.

I do not see this to be a bad thing, but I will blame these tactics to be at fault for making many of the things we take for granted today as cost effective many many many years ago.....

Thrice . wrote:Not trying to start anything, just saying people can take any sentence and re-phrase/ say it in a different tone, to use to someone's (dis)advantage.
It's quite evident, the story quoted by vince, clearly states "Just Enough" in this instince, isn't for the better of a quality product, but to make fat wallets, fatter.

Obviously true, however this guy doesn't seem technical in any way, and he brought nothing to the table that imply's anything negative about the product IMHO.

Product cost reduction is a VERY old and good way of reworking old products to make them cheaper, better, faster. Before I'd blame Garrett for outsourcing labor why don't we all be grown men/women and admit that our Government has literally forced US based companies to these means to only stay a-float against cheaper imports. I'd blame minimum wage, state and federal taxes, insurances, ect...all functions of our society, before I'd blame it on Garrett with the whole "OOOO...those greedy bastards" mentality. Look up Honeywell's Income after taxes and tell me if you think they could survive with 100% domestic labor, benefits, taxes, not too mention US labor being sue happy too. We as a society have driven US based companies to view US labor as an expensive hobby, only used to assemble as little as possible and be able to slap a sticker on the box that says "Made In America". I don't blame US companies one bit for hauling a$$, US labor force is more of a liability that requires top notch legal support just to protect themselves from. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Anyone willing to stop and consider maybe Honeywell bought Garrett cause they saw the ability to purchase a company with good cost/profit ratios just to balance their own books to save themselves from bankruptcy? This does happen.....

Sorry to rant on, but this whole "O my god, US companies are leaving for cheap labor to pad wallets" crap is just that....CRAP! It's what us as a society has driven most companies to do, it's time to wake up and realize this is more a function of (domestic labor force and government) ignorance and less a function of domestic corporate greed.

Thrice . wrote:It's quite evident, the story quoted by vince, clearly states "Just Enough" in this instince, isn't for the better of a quality product, but to make fat wallets, fatter.

You could be right, but so could I in saying that it is simply a redesign of product line in an effort to better there position in the market.....no? This guy sure doesn't sound technical, doesn't really sound like he knows much about turbo's. I'd sooner bet this guy is just a PO'd employee ready to hit the soup line. Yeah, that sucks, but of all the people laid off from so many companies which all could be guilty of similar accusations...yet this guy decides to throw down a smear campaign against a current and likely former employer. Like a 'fire me and you'll pay tactic'. Blah, I have little patience for that stuff.

Let there current and future quality speak for itself and ignore dis-disgruntled employees along the way. Right or wrong, there will only be one way to find out and only time will tell in this case. One thing is certain tho, Google ANY company and you will find tragic horror stories about all companies, including your BW, or rather YOUR semi-chuby maker.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 01, 2010 1:47 PM

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience!" -Anonymous
Monday, March 01, 2010 1:24 PM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
I also fail to see how this relates to toyota in any way, sorry.

It does and doesn't. It only ties in because of the "Just Enough" theme we had going there (Just the words them selves, not their individual deffinitions). They did "Just Enough" R&D to find out what works (but only for a limited time). And oddly enough, still haven't come up with a solution. (Yeah..i know it's off topic) It was mostly just a jab at Yota using the term you had in quotes, (which typically, in most cases, leads to a lesser quality product). This MAY or MAYNOT be entirely true in the case against Garrett (Yup, i'll admit i could be wrong), and i guess we won't really know untill someone posses one of these new units.

I'm not going to bother to quote anything else you typed and respond to it because my intention wasn't to start an argument, as i stated in the middle of my cute little ungodly formed paragraph there.

Sorry if any of that came off as a personal attack...."buddy" lol.

Monday, March 01, 2010 1:56 PM
Thrice . wrote:
Joshua Dearman wrote:
I also fail to see how this relates to toyota in any way, sorry.

It does and doesn't. It only ties in because of the "Just Enough" theme we had going there (Just the words them selves, not their individual deffinitions). They did "Just Enough" R&D to find out what works (but only for a limited time). And oddly enough, still haven't come up with a solution. (Yeah..i know it's off topic) It was mostly just a jab at Yota using the term you had in quotes, (which typically, in most cases, leads to a lesser quality product). This MAY or MAYNOT be entirely true in the case against Garrett (Yup, i'll admit i could be wrong), and i guess we won't really know untill someone posses one of these new units.

I'm not going to bother to quote anything else you typed and respond to it because my intention wasn't to start an argument, as i stated in the middle of my cute little ungodly formed paragraph there.

Sorry if any of that came off as a personal attack...."buddy" lol.

Sorry I Edited on ya....... posted my edit after this^ post..my bad.

Hey, no no, I'm by no means mad...I give it all right back. We have danced this before, and no longer scared to let you have it as you do to me.

I went on a US employment rant in my edit...and we ended at a rather mutual ground anyway. I mostly fail at accurately describing my thoughts which always ends up with you busting my balls on it, I'm used to it. Anymore the pain is quite enjoyable....

That and I just HAD to get back at you with a Chubby gab....very jealous of your opportunity to throw that in there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, March 01, 2010 1:58 PM

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 9:07 AM
Joshua Dearman wrote:
That and I just HAD to get back at you with a Chubby gab....very jealous of your opportunity to throw that in there.

..yep..I tend to just throw them chubby's everywhere these days heh..

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search