help! oil in cylinders!? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
help! oil in cylinders!?
Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:30 PM
went to try to start up my motor for the first time and its a NO GO. it would sound like it would fire on one cylinder once then nothing. pulled the plugs and the cylinders were filled with oil. i used my vacuum brake bleeder to get the oil out, cleaned the plugs. put them in, try again. sounded like it wanted to start for a second then the same thing. it is filling up with alot of oil in a short amount of time. it has a cometic head gasket with arp head studs. torqued correctly. i am certain i gapped the rings and placed them correctly. the oil in all 4 cylinders is about the same. thanks for any help!

running rich? turn the boost up

Re: help! oil in cylinders!?
Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:40 PM
If the cylinders have that much oil in them there are probably only a few possibilities:

1. Bad head gasket
2. Horribly worn valve guides/seals
3. Oil was poured down the intake manifold

What have you done to your car since the last time it ran good?
Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:00 PM
Wagonwes wrote:2. Horribly worn valve guides/seals
3. Oil was poured down the intake manifold

These were my first two thoughts too. How much oil are we talking? Pull the air/water cooler you have off and see if its full of oil....... if so your turbo is the likely culprit.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:02 PM
Check your compression right away too

Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:13 PM
i do not have my compression checker anymore but i know all 4 are even because when i pulled the plugs out and turned it over a cloud of oil would shoot up about 2 feet, all at the same point. this is the first time i am starting the motor. the block has a honest 27,000 miles so valve guides would be unlikely. i was routing towards the pcv system somehow. what do you guys think? also the turbo is just bolted on, no charge lines are on and no intercooler installed yet so i know its not my turbo. thanks!

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:25 PM
kevin roskosky wrote:i do not have my compression checker anymore but i know all 4 are even because when i pulled the plugs out and turned it over a cloud of oil would shoot up about 2 feet, all at the same point. thanks!

there's your problem... it states in the manual, that you should have 2.5-3.5 ft cloud of oil...

Seriously, I'd start by getting compression #s then doing a leak down test...

Thursday, August 19, 2010 7:28 PM
Best way to figure this out is gonna be a leak down test.

Oil ejection height compression test............. complete!

That's a new one Not sure I would rely on this method to assure compression because they will do that even if there is no compression hense the reason it did it with no compression...... minus spark plugs

If it's as much oil as I am picturing just be VERY careful not to hydralock the engine at this point.

Friday, August 20, 2010 3:22 AM
You need to give use more info on what you did to the motor. You said it only has 27000 miles, but yet you talking about setting the ring gap. Did you build the bottem end? Stock head?

FU Tuning

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:12 AM
since the oil is in all 4 cylinders, the odds of messing up all cylinder rings is slim to none so my guess is you installed the cometic head gasket incorrectly.
Friday, August 20, 2010 11:10 AM
after trying new things i pull the plugs and crank it until the cylinders go pretty much dry and spray parts cleaner on the plugs to ge tthe oil off. sorry for not enough info. it has new pistons, wiseco 8.9:1 eagle rods. new rod bearings, new timing chain, new head gasket, arp head studs.

and i know the oil ejection method is not at all professional but its what i use to do with my jet skis to determine the compression difference i also put my fingers over the valve cover holes and it did seem even to me but i know i still need to check it,
im trying to get my brothers compression tester as soon as i can

where is the pcv inlet on our cars 2.2 ecotec

and to john, how would i go about installing the gasket wrong? i lined up all the holes, and the tab stuck out just like it said they should in the instructions, is there something i forgot?

Friday, August 20, 2010 1:05 PM
after finally not bein pissed a thte motor i listened to it while cranking it over and it sounds like there is no compression at all. no motor movement or anything, just the steady sound of the started turning, like no exhaust sound at all. could these two problems be related? headgasket is starting to be my concern

Friday, August 20, 2010 5:41 PM
you would have to have a SERIOUSLY blown out head gasket for it to just spin freely (like as in part of the block missing) with zero compression.

Are you sure the starter cog is actually engaging as in thrusting into the starter ring? Sometimes they will turn over without engaging into the starter ring causing the exact scenario you are describing. That would be the only thing that would cause NO engine movement unless the starter ring was completely missing which if that happened it would fall under Ripley's Believe It or Not right next to shrunken heads.

Friday, August 20, 2010 6:43 PM
my old honda had that problem but it is definately contacting the flywheel and turning the motor over. i have about 4 hours to try to get down to this while fixing my POS celica, im going to take off the head, anything in particular to look for while the head is off. other than holes?

Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:18 AM
Any verdict?

Just look for anything unusual at this point.

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:26 PM
warped head FTW! head gasket covered in oil and a straight edge can teeter on the head

Monday, August 23, 2010 6:44 PM
Not good at all but that explains pretty much all of it............

Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:30 AM
timing set correctly?
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:32 AM
i guess it wouldnt matter since there is oil getting into the cylinders. im still sticking with the head gasket. either way the head is going to have to come off again so you can check every thing.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 11:34 AM
He said yesterday that the heads warped lol

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search