Where to drill to get oil for my turbo - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Where to drill to get oil for my turbo
Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:51 AM
hey im curious where i drill into to get oil feed for my turbo thanks

Turbo lag is a courteous head start

Re: Where to drill to get oil for my turbo
Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:42 PM
if its an ecotech pull one of the plugs out of the drivers side of the head. there are 3 of them. they are the galllies that feed the lifters.

mike

i make neons go fast

Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:42 PM

Looks like the best bet is the Saudi Arabia.

But seriously, it would probably help if you told us what engine you have first.

" To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous. "
Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:41 PM
^^^^LMFAO!!!!!!

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Thursday, September 30, 2010 1:48 PM
ammfab wrote:if its an ecotech pull one of the plugs out of the drivers side of the head. there are 3 of them. they are the galllies that feed the lifters.

mike

thats a low pressure port.

id take one out of the front of the motor under the intake manifold.

Thursday, September 30, 2010 2:35 PM
@ oil reserve map

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Thursday, September 30, 2010 5:38 PM
Dave Dunsmoor wrote:

Looks like the best bet is the Saudi Arabia.

But seriously, it would probably help if you told us what engine you have first.

X a googolplex (look it up, its a big number... 10^100^100)
Thursday, September 30, 2010 8:03 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:
ammfab wrote:if its an ecotech pull one of the plugs out of the drivers side of the head. there are 3 of them. they are the galllies that feed the lifters.

mike

arrons car has been running off that for over 2 years now and there have been no issues. not saying ur wrong and im right or anything. also on a side note i removed the feed to the turbo and hooked a gage up and there and checked pressue and it fluctuated from 55-80 psi (cold) i assume this is fine for the turbo feed but the fluctuation is what was getting me. anybody ever check pressure at any of those gallies?

mike

i make neons go fast

Thursday, September 30, 2010 11:36 PM
ammfab wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

mike

arrons car has been running off that for over 2 years now and there have been no issues. not saying ur wrong and im right or anything. also on a side note i removed the feed to the turbo and hooked a gage up and there and checked pressue and it fluctuated from 55-80 psi (cold) i assume this is fine for the turbo feed but the fluctuation is what was getting me. anybody ever check pressure at any of those gallies?

mike

No, you're fine, the ports on the side of the head work just fine. I've been running 1 for a total of 4 years. Not 1 turbo death.

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Friday, October 01, 2010 5:12 AM
haha yea sorry. i have an LD9 2.4 twin cam

Friday, October 01, 2010 11:48 AM
You don't drill anything, just thread in a fitting in place of the oil pressure switch between the camshaft towers on the driver's side of the engine.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero

Friday, October 01, 2010 4:47 PM
ammfab wrote:
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

mike

mike

works for some, not others, depending on the turbo you have. bb need significantly lower, journal should have 45 or more. and obviously with bb you need to run a restrictor. on cold mine sees about 40-50 then drops down to about 15 when its hot. i have heard that from a lot of people and thats just not enough to maintain the journal bearings.

i use cliff from here (http://www.turbo-power.com/contact.html) and he seems to know a LOT about it since he has been in it for 20+ years. he figured out why my first turbo went as well as why this one is going out, that low of oil pressure is killing it. so he told me to run no less than 45. he is also the guy rebuilding mine better than factory could send it out for a heck of a lot less than new. feel free to give him a call and see what he thinks. Man knows his stuff.

i forget who did it but someone checked ports and gave the readings for them all, it was this guy,http://www.j-body.org/reg/97cavie24ls ill see if i can find his post and readings.

found it
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=176117&t=175990&p=1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, October 01, 2010 4:48 PM

Friday, October 01, 2010 7:22 PM
Hughe diofference in oil pressure at the head and block. This on both the L61 and a LD9.

FU Tuning

Thursday, October 07, 2010 6:54 AM
alrighty thank you

Sunday, October 17, 2010 2:31 PM
look, get some copper piping and run it right off your head from your oil temp sensor. that way if you want to go back to stock you can. thats what i did since i got a ho head from a 2.3. works perfect for me.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search