finished my ld9 turbo kit - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
finished my ld9 turbo kit
Sunday, May 29, 2011 4:40 PM
running between 7-9 psi with no problem on stock block and no tune!!!!!!!!!
holset turbo are sick

Re: finished my ld9 turbo kit
Sunday, May 29, 2011 7:24 PM
Keep running it like that and it will blow.

FU Tuning

Sunday, May 29, 2011 8:52 PM
haha no problem until a piston/rod exit the side of the block!

Sunday, May 29, 2011 9:44 PM
cant wait to see the blow up pics!

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:18 PM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:cant wait to see the blow up pics!

Agreed

Monday, May 30, 2011 5:50 PM
yall are right imma keep it between 3-5 psi just to be safe
Monday, May 30, 2011 7:06 PM
on a stock tune...that is rpm vs tps or alpha-n on our cars, no level of boost is safe. you will be running lean and you will melt a piston, crack a ringland, blow a rod out of the side of the block, etc.

Monday, May 30, 2011 7:26 PM
@!#$!!!! so its better to atleast get tuned
Monday, May 30, 2011 7:46 PM
yes sir!

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 7:12 AM
i dont understand how people can just put a turbo on there vehicle and ignore the most important part. i find it hard to believe you ran 7-9 psi with no kind of tune or fuel enrichment and you experienced no problems considering the mixture would be leaned out so bad to a point the engine would stall, shake and pop.
Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:28 PM
i dont kno ive read that ppl have problems at 6psi. mine dosent. one part because i have the exhaust going out the hood. no real bcack presure. two my set up isnt a quick spool it goes to about 3800rpm till it starts boosting . ive bought an emanage and a fmu but havent had a chance to install. im going to put a vid on utube showing the boost its an auto alero with the ld9.

if anyone can help me with injector help that will be great. i was thinking about just taking some out of a cobalt ss turbo and trying it?>??

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 3:36 PM
ive done it as well good luck....

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 5:26 PM
The spool time doesnt matter or the lack of back pressure, its going to be high rpm lean conditions that will kill your engine. I might be wrong on this but Im pretty sure emanage wont work on our cars because we dont have map based fueling. Also unless you have HPtuners to change the injector constant or something comprable Bigger injectors will only cause problems. The FMU is doable though.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 8:25 AM
injector size depends on your power goals.

200hp will require 35# injectors
250hp will require 45# injectors
300hp will require 50# injectors

this is at a max of 80% duty cyle and at 43 psi constant fuel pressure.
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 3:51 PM
thanks man do your kno witch fmu is better
10:1
12:1
15:1
i ordered the 12:1
i blow my first engine running n/a slipped the timing tensioner locked up slipped exhaust. im not trying to do the same so any advice will help.
thanks
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:15 PM
How about a retune instead of an FMU?

Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:33 PM
thats the only thing i dont get how do u do a retune. is dat what the hptuner does
Wednesday, June 01, 2011 4:34 PM
Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:29 AM
Zs Z wrote:The spool time doesnt matter or the lack of back pressure, its going to be high rpm lean conditions that will kill your engine. I might be wrong on this but Im pretty sure emanage wont work on our cars because we dont have map based fueling. Also unless you have HPtuners to change the injector constant or something comprable Bigger injectors will only cause problems. The FMU is doable though.

This. Since our cars are not MAF equipped, we have to do alpha-n tuning, and I'm pretty certain emanage will not help you out there. You need software such as HPT, Megasquirt, etc. An fmu will help, but isn't a replacement for tuning. Without tuning you WILL lean out in high rpm (which in your case seems inevitable if your turbo isn't even boosting til almost 4k). End story is ANY boost needs tuning, our cars electronics do not see or recognize boost, so it has no way to compensate fueling when needed. This is why we tune via alpha-n where you are using throttle position vs rpm to add in fueling, adjust trims, etc.

And as Zs Z pointed out, just throwing in larger injectors won't help...again the stock tuning is going to try and flow the same and use the same constants as with stock injectors. Bigger injectors also equal higher/fluctuating idle right off the bat.

I would suggest finding someone with HPT (or similar software) and pay them to tune you. Even if you run out now and pickup HPT, good tuning is not something one learns over night. If you write a bad or flimsy tune, you can probably do more damage than with no tune.
Not trying to discourage you at all from learning to tune, just don't expect to open the box, install the software, and be cruising problem free by sunset. Read up, there's a lot of good tuning how to's here and other forums, brush up on your math skills because you're gonna need them, and make sure you thoroughly understand it all before jumping in. Again, I highly recommend having an experienced tuner handle your car for now, then down the road once you have a handle on how to tune, start altering or writing your own tunes.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:52 AM
Ender_Wiggin wrote:How about a retune instead of an FMU?

im running both...

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:43 AM
an fmu is not a tune so dont waste your money buying one. get it tuned or if your running low boost add an extra injector controller. these will be able to controll fuel entering the engine unlike an fmu which just exponentially dumps fuel into the engine.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 1:35 PM
JOE L wrote:an fmu is not a tune so dont waste your money buying one. get it tuned or if your running low boost add an extra injector controller. these will be able to controll fuel entering the engine unlike an fmu which just exponentially dumps fuel into the engine.

mine is working just fine... and making over 300whp...

Thursday, June 02, 2011 6:56 PM
An FMU basically is a crutch to aide the ecu so that the fuel pressure changes making your injectors squirt more fuel in based on boost pressure (or thats the understanding that I have had) It is not necessary but it certainly is not a bad thing to run and I would imagine it makes tuning less of a headache too.

Thursday, June 02, 2011 7:20 PM
JOE L wrote:an fmu is not a tune so dont waste your money buying one. get it tuned or if your running low boost add an extra injector controller. these will be able to controll fuel entering the engine unlike an fmu which just exponentially dumps fuel into the engine.

No it doesn't. It increases rail pressure proportionally to manifold pressure, and as such, increases injector flow "relaively" linearly as well. This only becomes an issue when you fatigue the injectors prematurely by running very high rail pressures (i.e. high boost).

If your only choice for tuning is Alpha-N, an FMU would be a good addition. Without some form of boost reference, you can never tune an Alpha-N turbocharged engine well for all engine loads (this truth is even more evident on larger/laggier turbos). I don't know where people get this idea that the definition of "tune" is strictly changing some values in a computer.

I have no signiture
Friday, June 03, 2011 7:43 AM
BuiltNBoosted wrote:

mine is working just fine... and making over 300whp...

with an fmu alone.... doubt it!!!
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search