bye, bye saab - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
bye, bye saab
Thursday, July 07, 2011 9:12 AM
After over 3yrs of being boosted my little saab td04 turbo gave out. So i am upgrading to a hahn manifold and 16g turbo. I'm getting the pair used for 600. I have a few questions that i hope some of you could help me out with.

Will i be able to use the oil lines from the saab setup? if not...(prob not) where can i get some oil lines? and what should i do about the hole i drilled for the oil return from the saab?

what kind of size difference is there between these turbochargers? Is it night and day? I am under the impression that the 16g will be a decent step up from the tiny saab.

Im sure i will need to modify the downpipe and probably the IC piping a little. Is there anything else I will have to worry about when switching over to the new turbo?

I will b doing a compression test to make sure it was the turbo and not the engine itself that went. Hopefully its not both!

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch

Re: bye, bye saab
Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:10 AM
What happened to it? just out of curiosity?

Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:50 AM
I'm not even sure. I turned the boost up a few days earlier. Then i went to go up the street and it was colder out that day. well i hit like 15psi for a sec and i quickly let off, but i heard a strange sound. so i just babied to the store parked it and just turned it off cuz im a stupid idiot and my turbo timer isn't workin at the moment. I dont know if that had somethin to do with it or not. I usually always let my car cool down after any type of driving. So i was on way back home(uphill) and when i gave it a little gas the damn thing sounded horrible. its hard to explain. there no smoke coming from the turbo, but if i try to go into boost it wont and makes a bad scraping/whistling sound. I had to downshift to 2nd just to get back up the hill...

Oh well... hopefully i can get her back running again. This is becoming a money pit tho. dont know if i want to keep dumping money in.

Well see. guess we'll have to see if the engine still ok.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Thursday, July 07, 2011 11:59 AM
Ya mine mite be causeing my smoke out the tailpipe. lol

Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:09 PM
ECOTEC wrote:I'm not even sure. I turned the boost up a few days earlier.

i figured out your problem....... see above...
Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:14 PM
pull the turbo inlet hose off and check the turbo fins. you are never supposed too run a turbo engine hard after startup. all the components need to warm up to properly work. most likely your turbo was exposed to a quick heat cycle and let go. if your engine is still running without noise or overheating, then is should be ok
Thursday, July 07, 2011 1:46 PM
Ya I think mine is leaking oil out the seal, tiny drop of oil after driving on the inlet side.

Sunday, July 17, 2011 2:39 PM
Mine was not the turbo but my rings breaking in.

Monday, July 18, 2011 2:15 AM
Hey Ryan you still in the Johnstown area? Just curious cause I havent talked to ya in forever and I just moved back into this area so figured I'd see what you were up to, noticed your thread. Sucks to hear about the car man. Hope it all gets figured out

http://www.motortopia.com/cavyfreak442/cars
Best ET to Date: 14.251 @ 98.51 mph. 13's or Bust Baby!
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 1:46 PM
Hey Buddy! Yep I'm still in Good ole Jtown. lol I'll have to pm you my cell number.

As an update to the thread. i pulled the turbo off and it looks like something got sucked into the compressor wheel. It is F*cked. Ill post up a pic later.

The hahn 16g is bigger than the saab turbo... right?

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:06 PM
ECOTEC wrote:Hey Buddy! Yep I'm still in Good ole Jtown. lol I'll have to pm you my cell number.

As an update to the thread. i pulled the turbo off and it looks like something got sucked into the compressor wheel. It is F*cked. Ill post up a pic later.

The hahn 16g is bigger than the saab turbo... right?

were you running a filter?

and yes 16g is bigger than saab.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:08 PM
Yea i actually had a brand new filter on, but that port thats on the intake side of the turbo was open. i think its for the egr. i had it capped off, but the rubber cap dried out, cracked and fell off. so im thinkin maybe somethin got sucked in there and caused the destruction.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:35 AM
That's a big vacuum port for the pcv system. It likely could have sucked something up
Sunday, July 31, 2011 9:14 PM
ryan i do have an extra turbo if you need one only has 15k on it!!!!!!
Monday, August 01, 2011 5:38 PM
Or the bushings in the Turbo went bad. This allows shaft play and the fins rub on the housing making a drill sound. Had this happen to the one on my subaru. It finally caught the housing and snapped the shaft in half. You might want to change your oil to. Sometimes parts or shavings end up in the pan and you don't want to ruin your engine.

Saturday, August 06, 2011 8:21 PM
I'll post up a pic of the compressor blades. its pretty ugly... Looks like the new intake filter I bought had a nut on the inside of the filter... real SMART... if there was a nut on there its now gone. This is the junk filter that i got I'll post a pic of what im talkin about.

but anyways. Thanks John! i just got everything together and the turbo in tonight. I started it up and everything looked and sounded good. it was smoking some but there was a little oil on the outside of the turbo and mani, not to mention new gaskets and new header wrap on the downpipe. it seems to have a little more play than min, but i think it'll be fine.

2004 Cavalier
13.2@105........
Mods...
BFG Drag Radials
Saab Turbo kit
2.5 exhaust, w/cutout
Spec Stage 2+ Clutch
Friday, August 19, 2011 11:03 PM
Ecotec..havent I seen your cavy running on youtube/streetfire before? you got a vid of 13.2 on a Saab kit? low 13's high 12's is a very good goal

04 Cav. 2dr. 5spd. My DD. 'Nuff said.
Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:36 PM
twelves will happen with my saab kit or i will sell the car haha.ever since he ran a 13.2 its my goalto break a twelve...
Sunday, August 21, 2011 5:56 AM
pix?

Thursday, August 25, 2011 4:44 AM
Ecotec ,, how's the car running now?

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search