question for you m62 s/c one bar map guys - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
question for you m62 s/c one bar map guys
Sunday, September 18, 2011 11:56 PM
Anyone care to take a pics of the map. Did you have to put a vac line on it? How did you connect the vac line to the sc intake manifold? Also how about the threaded iat? isn't there a place to screw it in without tapping the manifold?

Btw I went through 18 pages of posts without luck sorry guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 19, 2011 12:09 AM

Re: question for you m62 s/c one bar map guys
Monday, September 19, 2011 1:19 AM
For the threaded IAT, I tapped and threaded the tmap hole to accommodate it.

For the MAP, I took the line that normally goes straight from the manifold to fpr, and teed into that for the MAP and boost gauge. I'll try to get a decent pic when I get home from work, though it may be tricky considering it's all underneath the blower, lol. I'll be installing a vacuum manifold soon to clean the existing setup.

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:32 AM
How difficult was it to drill and tap the manifold. Mainly how did you control the shavings? Also do you recall the drill but size and tap? Was yours the Camaro su-107 sensor?

Thanks for the help man....

Monday, September 19, 2011 3:28 AM
You're other option is to just use the "T" part of the TMAP. No tapping or shavings, just a matter of preference and what you have available.

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:13 AM
The sensor is either from a Camaro or Quad 4, I forgot (it came from Oldskool actually, lol). As for the drilling and tapping, you're gonna get shavings no matter what (so obviously do this with the manifold off the car). I pulled the cores out of the manifold, and after drilling/tapping I washed out the inside good, and blew it out with compressed air.
I'll check what size drill and tap I used and let you know. Remember too, aluminum is a little tougher to drill and tap. Make sure the bit is dead center, doesn't wiggle when drilling, and drill slow- it doesn't take too much to accidentally over size the hole. When you tap threads in aluminum, you want to keep it lubed and only tap like 1-1.5 thread at a time, then back it out, clean it well, re-lube, then do another thread or two. If you try and just thread straight threw like steel, you'll just snag and butcher the threads.

Monday, September 19, 2011 5:19 AM
For the most part like said above. We drilled a hole in the side of the manifold (at the bottem) for the map sensor. We left that posrt going to the FPR. It is not really big enough to supply alot fo things. Was going to do a vaccum block, but would also require tapping the manifold to get a bigger supply source.

Tapping the manifold for the IAT was easy. Drill it, and run the tap down into it. Bam done!!

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:18 PM
EVILution (KGM Godfather) wrote:The sensor is either from a Camaro or Quad 4, I forgot (it came from Oldskool actually, lol). As for the drilling and tapping, you're gonna get shavings no matter what (so obviously do this with the manifold off the car). I pulled the cores out of the manifold, and after drilling/tapping I washed out the inside good, and blew it out with compressed air.
I'll check what size drill and tap I used and let you know. Remember too, aluminum is a little tougher to drill and tap. Make sure the bit is dead center, doesn't wiggle when drilling, and drill slow- it doesn't take too much to accidentally over size the hole. When you tap threads in aluminum, you want to keep it lubed and only tap like 1-1.5 thread at a time, then back it out, clean it well, re-lube, then do another thread or two. If you try and just thread straight threw like steel, you'll just snag and butcher the threads.

Yeah I work at a car manufacturing plant and sometimes we have crossthreads and we tap holes I don't like to do it tho on the aluminum engine and trans.

You say you washed it out what did you use? Also could you ask olfaction if it is the Camaro?

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:22 PM
It came from a late model quad 2.3 engine with the cast intake manifold. N-body (grand am, ect) is a very common platform to have this engine.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:25 PM
We also used a 2.3 IAT.

We cleaned the manifold out with water and purple power.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:28 PM
I cleaned with a mixture of water and Castrol super clean degreaser. Bests degreaser in the world.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:11 PM
Thanks guys.... Wonder what the thread.pitch etc is on my Camaro iat. Wonder if it's the same?

Edit: according to AutoZone they are the same! So if you remember to look at what size tap that needs please remember I'd be greatful.... Thanks guys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:23 AM

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 12:26 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:For the most part like said above. We drilled a hole in the side of the manifold (at the bottem) for the map sensor. We left that posrt going to the FPR. It is not really big enough to supply alot fo things. Was going to do a vaccum block, but would also require tapping the manifold to get a bigger supply source.

Tapping the manifold for the IAT was easy. Drill it, and run the tap down into it. Bam done!!

How did you secure the map sensor when you drilled that manifold? Also got any pics of the location?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:44 AM

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:29 PM
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:
Addicted to meth wrote:For the most part like said above. We drilled a hole in the side of the manifold (at the bottem) for the map sensor. We left that posrt going to the FPR. It is not really big enough to supply alot fo things. Was going to do a vaccum block, but would also require tapping the manifold to get a bigger supply source.

How did you secure the map sensor when you drilled that manifold? Also got any pics of the location?

Owner made a bracket out of metal and used the screw hole to bolt it in place. Not sutre if I have pictures, but will look.

FU Tuning

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 11:36 PM
What screw hole? is there one on that side of the mani?

Thursday, September 22, 2011 5:57 AM
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:What screw hole? is there one on that side of the mani?

Yes. There is a smooth part where a bracket would normally go (I assume anyway). We tapped right in that smooth part and used the screw hole. Would be the side of the manifold closest to the Alternator.

FU Tuning

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:01 AM
Addicted to meth wrote:
SLO CAV (autocrossing dude) wrote:What screw hole? is there one on that side of the mani?

Yes. There is a smooth part where a bracket would normally go (I assume anyway). We tapped right in that smooth part and used the screw hole. Would be the side of the manifold closest to the Alternator.

Sweet thanks john

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search