Started my 97 2.2 Turbo Project today - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Started my 97 2.2 Turbo Project today
Thursday, October 27, 2011 2:20 PM
I figure I would post in here, I know its not a jbody but it does use the 2.2 OHV engine, theres not a lot of information about these engines on the s10 forums and I figured this would be a interesting build to put up.

Out of all of my Vehicles I spend the most time in my s10. I put a pile of miles on it every month and only get 20-23mpg with it.
a Run down on the truck, its a 96 Extended cab 5 speed, The body has 215,000 miles on it and I rebuilt the bottom end at 172,000 miles. Yes its a little rusty but it gets the job done.

The purpose of this build is not so much to make it faster, but to give it more power on my hilly drive to work everyday (65mile round trip). I would like the extra power to be able to pull the hills without losing speed, and to see if gas mileage improves with normal driving. I work at a salvage yard and this is a complete build made with salvage parts. Everything is used other then the Feed and return lines.

Since the 97 and prior 2.2 uses side feed injectors I have to convert to a normal top feed injectors, I have done this in the past on a 97 cavalier I boosted. This task is actually pretty simple and I will have pictures this weekend.

The Budget turbo setup:
Garret AiResearch .42 intake .48 exhaust from an old saab 900
Side mount intercooler from the same saab 900
Grand Prix GTP 36LB/HR injectors
Ebay feed and return line kit
Top Feed Injector Conversion
small 2" Charge piping
2 1/2" Down pipe into a 2 1/2" Magnaflow straigh through muffler
Electric fan from a early 90s mid size GM car.
97 pcm conversion for use with HP tuners
Looking for 5psi only, and a quick spool in the lower rpm range to suit normal daily driving.

The 97 conversion is in the works. At the moment Im studying wiring diagrams to see if my 96 wiring Harness can be repinned to 97 pcm pcm connectors, Just swapping the crank and ignition module. This would make it cheaper yet for me, but if its not possible I will just switch wiring harnesses.

96 Camaro A4 383 12.5:1, E85, Full suspension, Nitrous outlet plate kit, hooker headers and catback, 3800 circle D converter.

2002 Silverado LQ4 6.0 CAI, Long tube headers, 4" exhaust

1996 s10- 97 ECU and wiring, soon to be boosted daily driver.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search