3x00 turbo setup - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
3x00 turbo setup
Sunday, November 27, 2011 10:10 AM
ok so im gonna be doing a 3400 swap this spring in a third gen gonna be all motor on first setup but plan on boosting later and i ve been all over the forums looking for info on turbo setups with not much luck BUT I DID LOOK so.. my plans are to use impala ecu and wiring and tuning with hp tuners and and wanna shoot for the 350/400 whp range and what i wanted to know is will i have any issues with with tuning like MAF, stock ECU or anything like that. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 3x00 turbo setup
Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:29 AM
I will be helping him do this swap, and I tried researching this as well with no real answers. I'm aware that boosting the 3x00 setups isn't as common in 3rd gens as it is with the 1st/2nd Gen cars.

How far will the stock impala ecu go before it's not viable anymore? If someone could chime in and let us know that would be great.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:49 AM
Have you guys checked on the HPT forums? or the impala/gp forums. I'm sure you'll get more results there as to the limits of the ecu's than you would here.

Monday, November 28, 2011 8:39 AM
the limiting factor to most stock ecu is that they cannot be programmed for a larger map sensor to read boost. hptuners will be able to tune for boost but its going to be tps and rpm related instead of load (map) related. its tough to tune this way as load can change often even though tps and rpm stay the same. most boosted applications use a map based ecu instead of a maf. maf is limited. it can only read so much airflow over stock.
Monday, November 28, 2011 8:55 PM
JOE L wrote:the limiting factor to most stock ecu is that they cannot be programmed for a larger map sensor to read boost. hptuners will be able to tune for boost but its going to be tps and rpm related instead of load (map) related. its tough to tune this way as load can change often even though tps and rpm stay the same. most boosted applications use a map based ecu instead of a maf. maf is limited. it can only read so much airflow over stock.

They cant be programmed for larger maf's? They dont have the maf calibration table which most people use as a tuning table (even though they shouldnt)? Its a 2d table that has maf hertz across the top and airflow as the values. If you change the maf tube size there is a mathematical formula for hot wire mafs which allow you to convert that whole table. Should just be a quick Excel type operation.

1994 Saturn SL2 Home Coming Edition: backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport Coupe: In a Junk Yard
1995 Mazda Miata R-package Class=STR
Sponsored by: Kronos Performance

WPI Class of '12 Mechanical Engineering
WPI SAE Risk and Sustainability Management Officer
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:35 AM
Leafy (Club Jeffie FEA man) wrote:
JOE L wrote:the limiting factor to most stock ecu is that they cannot be programmed for a larger map sensor to read boost. hptuners will be able to tune for boost but its going to be tps and rpm related instead of load (map) related. its tough to tune this way as load can change often even though tps and rpm stay the same. most boosted applications use a map based ecu instead of a maf. maf is limited. it can only read so much airflow over stock.

They cant be programmed for larger maf's? They dont have the maf calibration table which most people use as a tuning table (even though they shouldnt)? Its a 2d table that has maf hertz across the top and airflow as the values. If you change the maf tube size there is a mathematical formula for hot wire mafs which allow you to convert that whole table. Should just be a quick Excel type operation.

Agreed with the above... yes the MAF has a limit as to how much airflow it can see but you can install a larger MAF and scale the tables so the PCM can use this newfound range. This is one of the biggest draws to a MAF sytem.

Also, it's been a while since I poked at the Impala ECU's that I have been flashing into 3400 swaps but I do recall that there are some boost referenced MAP tables to 8 psi, I believe. I'd have to look again and see what they were for but I remember seeing them in there.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, November 29, 2011 9:30 AM
This is sounding very promising, sounds like the ecu will do what he's looking for. I'm not a tuner by no means, but I'm sure with some reading that Patrick and I can swing getting the car drivable.

I guess I need to contact Ryan(qwkln2) to see what his thoughts are, as I'm sure he will be the one to do the tuning once the time hits.

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:43 PM
Depending on which PCM it is, you should be able to also change the linear/offset of the MAP tables and rescale. Our PCM(shared with the S/T PCM) just sucks @ss.... I would download a file from the respository and just look at it.. Should be cake to use though....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search