LD9 OIL RETURN QUESTION - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
LD9 OIL RETURN QUESTION
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 4:04 PM
Has anyone ever tapped the block on an ld9 to use as a oil return for a turbo? Im not exactly sold on the idea of using the oil pan and while my block is apart was questioning using the block instead.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Re: LD9 OIL RETURN QUESTION
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 4:46 PM
tap the block where exactly?

whats wrong with the oil pan? plenty have used it with success.

could use the timing chain housing too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, August 07, 2012 4:47 PM

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:37 PM
that's what I wanna know lol. I just don't like the idea of my oil return being at the same level as the oil

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 7:38 PM
The absolute best route would be to have a shop weld a 3/8 or 1/2 NPT (big ass) bungs onto the oil pan for you. That way, you can plug it if you have to, and you don't have to worry about leaks.

I roll on steelies. Work-in-progress daily-sleeper potential.
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/engine/60493/
Tuesday, August 07, 2012 9:37 PM
Im sorry I forgot to mention, I already have my return on the pan. I just don't like the idea of it. what I'm wondering is would there be an issue with draining it into the block if I can have it tapped?

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:46 AM
Your turbo drain is gravity fed. By plumbing it either higher or at the same level as the turbo will cause the turbo to back up with oil burning out seals and bearings. Also if you tap into the block in the wrong spot you might be getting PSI which would really cause an issue. Draining to the pan ( the lowest part of the motor) is the ideal spot. The drain nipple should be as high as possible on the pan, if the line gets submerged in oil the turbo cant drain and will cause those same problems mentioned before, buring up seals and bearings.

Hope this helped.

Mark

http://www.overkillengineeringmotorsports.com/
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:11 AM
If you search through this forum, you should find pictures of Skilz setup, where he tapped into the block for his return. I plan to run the same way, and will post up more picture when available. In the mean time, look thoroughly through the posts in the boost forum and you'll find skillz's setup.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:21 AM
Ok so I'm bored at work and found the thread for you. http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=78110&t=78110#78110

Another user Clyde (i think his username is mitrd) also ran this way with good results.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:37 AM
I was about to post that, Sean!

From my own memory the only person I knew who did it was Jeremy - to this day I hate having my drain in my pan and really wish I'd tapped the block when I had the chance, although with a turbo header like fetters I could see that spot almost being a little bit too high but I'd have to have all the parts in person to see.

Anybody want to donate me a GT35r and a Fetter header so I can... uh... see?

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:53 AM
Am I ever glad I'm running a Borg Warner turbo, or I may have actually felt inclined to let you test fit my ish lol. I'm going to pm you (Chris) in a bit with some questions about HPT, before I decide if it's worth my time to purchase it, versus, paying lots and lots of $$$ to have someone rape my ECU.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:25 PM
yes mark i know that but thanks. that looks like a really good spot to drain back to into the block. im gonna have to go down my machine shop and mock it all up while its apart to see if that will work for me. i just dont like draining into the pan on these engines due to having such a shallow sump.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners

Thursday, August 09, 2012 9:50 AM
i honestly do not understand the want to tap the block for this. the oil pan has worked for so many people without issue. i could see it being a bit easier for the automatic folks though as its so tight back there... thats for sure.

however...

id be more worried about the crank getting wrapped with oil and losing hp due to windage versus dumping the oil in the pan. and furthermore i doubt the oil level is clear up to the top of the pan where the oil return bung should be.. at least when the engine is running, anyway. if it was you would have people with drainback issues popping turbos all the time around here and thread with people complaining about it.

I choose the technology built for land speed records... not the technology built to save on emissions and gas mileage.
Thursday, August 09, 2012 8:33 PM
I have a windage tray. 2.3 oil pump swap

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Friday, August 10, 2012 12:52 AM

Friday, August 10, 2012 7:20 PM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:I have a windage tray. 2.3 oil pump swap

right but it wont be as affective in the instance because you are dumping the oil higher up than the tray. you'll basically be dumping the oil right on the crank from what i can tell.

now maybe missed something and forgive me for not knowing a whole lot about boost setups but i still dont understand what the big deal is with using the pan. if it works just fine for others, why change it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, August 10, 2012 7:21 PM

Friday, August 10, 2012 9:03 PM
Jr, Have I seen that before?!

LOL

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search